U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 05:29 PM

1,796 posts, read 6,069,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Only a small fraction of the machines that were bought actually found their way permanently into the purchaser's dietary lifestyle.

Evidently all of those people post on this forum.
That's funny. I kind of thought the same thing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 09:52 PM

746 posts, read 3,115,902 times
Quote:
About 10 or 15 years ago when the Breadmaker fad was at it's peak, many people bought them like they bought whatever exercise machine was popular at the time.

And, like the exercise machine, they got used once or twice, stored in the garage, and ended up in the yard sale or at the GoodWill.

Only a small fraction of the machines that were bought actually found their way permanently into the purchaser's dietary lifestyle.

Evidently all of those people post on this forum.
Actually those of us who use our machines frequently didn't buy them because of a fad. We did it because of reasons similar to those I posted in my earlier comments, like health and sheer disgust with overpriced mass market bread.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:07 AM

11,429 posts, read 19,443,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
Actually those of us who use our machines frequently didn't buy them because of a fad. We did it because of reasons similar to those I posted in my earlier comments, like health and sheer disgust with overpriced mass market bread.
Don't forget the fun factor. I really enjoy baking of all kinds. Far more than cooking.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:21 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,957,081 times
I'm with Tally's mom. I got mine because of the fun factor, and after I had it I realized the cost savings.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:44 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,212,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Hello. Just following the wonderful grocery thread, and someone mentioned using a bread machine. Never used one, never thought about it. We eat whole wheat bread that averages about $2.50 per loaf. Is the cost savings using a bread machine worth buying one? I don't even know how much a machine would cost!! Guess I'll look it up now. Always seemed like it would be pretty involved, making the bread that is.
Yes, you'll save money in the long run. I have a bread machine, and I use it often, but I only use it to make the dough because I haven't found a bread machine that bakes the loaves how I want them baked.

But money-wise, should cost you about $1 a loaf, for better bread than you're buying.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:32 AM

481 posts, read 604,730 times
I am one of the people who bought a like-new bread machine at my thrift store for under $10. What a bargain! Nothing like the aroma of baking bread throughout the house. Yum

Old 07-26-2009, 11:43 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,582,076 times
I want one.

I'll bet it will be like my Food Processor.

For years I thought they were silly gadgets.

Then I bought one and found it to be one of the most useful tools in my kitchen.

If I can find a Bread Maker that makes good tasting Sourdough with real crust, it will be easier to convince my wife it's a good idea to buy one.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I want one.

I'll bet it will be like my Food Processor.

For years I thought they were silly gadgets.

Then I bought one and found it to be one of the most useful tools in my kitchen.

If I can find a Bread Maker that makes good tasting Sourdough with real crust, it will be easier to convince my wife it's a good idea to buy one.
Not going to happen, unless you only have it knead the dough for you, and then take it out and bake it properly in the oven. That's my only real complaint about bread-makers -- they don't bake the bread anywhere near as nicely as a real oven does.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:04 PM

481 posts, read 604,730 times
Well, taking it out and baking it in the oven is easy as pie. But you can tell the bread machine to do a light, medium or dark crust. And if you have your sourdough starter, you're good to go!

Old 07-26-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
Well, taking it out and baking it in the oven is easy as pie. But you can tell the bread machine to do a light, medium or dark crust. And if you have your sourdough starter, you're good to go!
Yes, but the crust made by baking in the bread machine is nothing like the crust he'd get by taking the dough out, making a properly shaped loaf of sourdough, and baking it in the oven.

Breadmachines are great for kneading up the dough and saving money on bread, but not so great for baking it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living