Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 03:31 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Yes, but the crust made by baking in the bread machine is nothing like the crust he'd get by taking the dough out, making a properly shaped loaf of sourdough, and baking it in the oven.

Breadmachines are great for kneading up the dough and saving money on bread, but not so great for baking it.
Matter of opinion. Some people prefer the way it comes out of the machine better than the oven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 05:58 PM

481 posts, read 806,031 times
I actually prefer the softer crust of bread from the bread machine.

But I also use the machine to make dough for pizza and for easy cinnamon rolls. YUM!

Old 07-27-2009, 05:46 PM

84 posts, read 236,114 times
I have a Moulinex xxl bread machine and use it alot. I have made bread the traditional way too but I really like the simplicity of the bread machine. Just put in the ingredients, choose the program and come back when it's over or do it overnight and unmold it for breakfast.
I remove the hooks after the kneading is over so that the bread is easier to unmold. I also keep fresh yeast starter. I like the flavor and consistency it adds.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:34 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post

...taking it out and baking it in the oven is easy as pie...
Well that's bad news!

I haven't had a home-baked pie in years.

They are just too much trouble to mess with.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:16 AM

481 posts, read 806,031 times
Actually I prefer a cobbler over a pie. They are so easy, even you could do it, Fat Freddy - LOL

Old 08-31-2009, 10:18 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,159,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I want one.

I'll bet it will be like my Food Processor.

For years I thought they were silly gadgets.

Then I bought one and found it to be one of the most useful tools in my kitchen.

If I can find a Bread Maker that makes good tasting Sourdough with real crust, it will be easier to convince my wife it's a good idea to buy one.
I agree with you (food processor). You can do so much with that machine. I think I use it daily.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:41 AM

52,707 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
Look in thrift stores for a good bread machine. I found mine complete with instructions. It looked like it had been used just a few times. I paid $10 and have been using it for over 5 years.
that's a good tip. it's surprisingly easy to find bread machines at garage sales and thrift stores that have only been used a couple times in the $10 range.

other cost concerns are the breadmaker mfgers' insistence that you have to use special bread machine flower and yeast. there are definitely ways around both of those if you're willing to spend some time tweaking - i usually use a sourdough starter culture instead of a packet of 'bought' yeast.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:04 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,203 times
this thread has got me to thinking....not good.....lol

I have a bread machine sitting on a cabinet that hasnt been cranked up in years. I may uncrank it. I will be back for more tips to get me going.

I love citi data. If you cant find it here, it ain't to be had......

Old 09-07-2009, 09:11 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Hello. Just following the wonderful grocery thread, and someone mentioned using a bread machine. Never used one, never thought about it. We eat whole wheat bread that averages about $2.50 per loaf. Is the cost savings using a bread machine worth buying one? I don't even know how much a machine would cost!! Guess I'll look it up now. Always seemed like it would be pretty involved, making the bread that is.
You can generally pick up a bread machine at any thrift shop for about $10. Look for one that has an instruction book included. Otherwise, you are going to have to try to find the instructions on the internet which may or may not be possible.

We use a bread machine when we make our bread. It is a great time saver since making bread can be nearly a whole day event if you do it "the old fashioned" way. With a bread machine you can make a loaf every couple of days and it is always fresh and tastes good. I would suggest that you NOT use a mix, but make it from fresh ingredients (we even grind our own flour).

The drawbacks to doing this are: If the power goes out you are sunk. We used to live in an area where there were frequent power outages so we could not have used our bread machine there. Fortunately, now we have very reliable electrical service. and;

It scares the cats to death. Bread machines make a lot of strange and sudden noises. Our cats are always freaked out (even though we make bread fairly often).

I recommend them highly (bread machines, not cats). We have three of them and use them often. The bread tastes better than store bought and you know that the ingredients are fresh and have no chemical additives. If you don't like making bread this way, you can always take it back to the thrift shop from wence it came.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-08-2009, 02:14 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
I never would have though cats and bread machines would not do well with each other!

We are off the electrical grid so we don't have electrical appliances which make heat but we do have a Kitchen Aid mixer so I use that to make bread. We did get a GrainMaker grain hand powered grain grinder last year which is a beauty thing, too, so now we have fresh ground whole wheat bread. Way tastier than pre-ground flour although I'm still not able to get the same amount of rise from the fresh ground flour as the old pre-ground bread flour.

Whether a bread machine is used or it is done by hand, baking one's own bread not only smells and tastes much better than store bought, it can save tons of money, too. We buy yeast in two to three pound bags (anyone know how to grow bread yeasts - other than sourdough?) and we buy wheat berries by the 50# bag as well as occasional 25# bags of pre-ground flour. I'm not sure what the price per loaf comes out to, but it is probably below $1 a loaf.

Hmm. The internet is a wonderous thing! According to a conversion website I found, flour in the United States is approximately 4.5 cups per pound or 225 cups per 50# bag. Five cups per loaf - more or less - is 45 loaves per 50# bag of pre-ground flour. If a 50# bag of flour is $14 at Costco then it would be .31 cents for the flour. A three pound bag of yeast is about $4 so add in about .08 for the yeast. If you use sourdough for a starter, then that expense can be deleted. Not including the utility costs of running the oven, a loaf of homemade basic bread is about thirty nine cents a loaf for the materials to make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living