U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 04:31 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,026,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that's a good tip. it's surprisingly easy to find bread machines at garage sales and thrift stores that have only been used a couple times in the $10 range.

other cost concerns are the breadmaker mfgers' insistence that you have to use special bread machine flower and yeast. there are definitely ways around both of those if you're willing to spend some time tweaking - i usually use a sourdough starter culture instead of a packet of 'bought' yeast.
I use regular flour, and I buy the bread machine yeast in a jar--same price as regular yeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 04:47 PM

370 posts, read 905,116 times
Where do you all buy the ingredients to make the bread? What store do you go to or internet site do you order from?

Old 09-09-2009, 04:58 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,026,433 times
I get everything at my local grocery store.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:58 PM

8,475 posts, read 12,449,455 times
All you need to make bread is flour, yeast, water, and maybe salt so you can buy it at your local supermarket. However, as others have mentioned, Costco (or other warehouse stores) have great prices when buying yeast and flour in bulk - especially the yeast. You can also buy ingredients like that at health food stores, directly from a mill, online, etc.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:31 PM

25,207 posts, read 18,473,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I use regular flour, and I buy the bread machine yeast in a jar--same price as regular yeast.
i use regular flour, and a sourdough starter yeast i grow myself.

initially, i stuck by the owner's manual, which was pretty vocal about requiring the use of special bread machine flour and yeast.

then i took a close look at how much those items cost, and started experimenting.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:32 AM

263 posts, read 657,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I want one.

I'll bet it will be like my Food Processor.

For years I thought they were silly gadgets.

Then I bought one and found it to be one of the most useful tools in my kitchen.

If I can find a Bread Maker that makes good tasting Sourdough with real crust, it will be easier to convince my wife it's a good idea to buy one.
I have a book called "Worldwide Sourdoughs From Your Bread Machine" by Donna Rathmell German and Ed Wood. They recommend a programmable machine for best results, and have a fair amount of recipes.
I have not tried any of them, but in reading through the book it sounded like they really did their homework.
I mostly make whole grain sourdough breads in a wood fired brick oven, but I like the bread machine to whip up things like banana walnut bread with that last one or two bananas we forgot to eat or oatmeal raisin with the last couple spoonfuls of oatmeal left in the pot.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:31 PM

15,255 posts, read 16,574,209 times
I put an ad on Craig's list saying I wanted to buy a breadmaker with the instruction book for $20 and had 3 replies in a day. We had ate our first loaf that night.

You can make a loaf of bread or a pizza crust for less than you would spend if you bought it at the store. The downside is that it smells and tastes so good that we eat much more of it than the storebought stuff. It's hard to keep from over-doing it.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:28 AM

192 posts, read 786,009 times
We picked up 3 from goodwill last year for $4 each, got the manual online. Now we do a bread assembly line with all 3 machines for 2 days and stock the freezer. It's great except for the weight gain and it is much cheaper.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:23 AM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,863,283 times
When I serve the homemade bread, it actually cuts the costs of the rest of the meal. Rather than people having 2 pieces of chicken, they will have one and a hunk of bread. The bread is cheaper than the chicken.

A lot of times I'll skip the other starch in the meal (the potato, rice, noodle) with the bread, no one seem that interested in those anyway

Old 09-30-2009, 12:56 PM

2,178 posts, read 4,798,087 times
Exclamation Don't pay full price for a bread machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Hello. Just following the wonderful grocery thread, and someone mentioned using a bread machine. Never used one, never thought about it. We eat whole wheat bread that averages about $2.50 per loaf. Is the cost savings using a bread machine worth buying one? I don't even know how much a machine would cost!! Guess I'll look it up now. Always seemed like it would be pretty involved, making the bread that is.
<<Don't pay full price. Figure out which one is most desirable for you. It's probably at any one of the thrift stores in your town.>> Arg. This is already posted. Lots of great tips here!!!! Wow!

There are also an abundance of those things that seal a meal, at the thrift stores.

Kate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living