U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 05:06 AM

9 posts, read 23,851 times

Advertisements

20yrsinBranson, whoops, I didn't even think of that. Thanks for bringing it up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 05:19 AM

9 posts, read 23,851 times
Peggy Anne and 20yrsinBranson, I do thrift shops too! I need the "career type" clothing for work and most everything in my wardrobe cost around $1. I buy new shoes but only if market down, never paid more than $20 bucks for a pair. I also buy outlet stores, I have a "49 and under" card, which give me an additional 20% off on Fridays. So on Fridays, I only shop for clothes with colored dots on it. If the dots are orange, I get an additional 60% off. I found brandname blouses, skirts and slacks (NEW) for $2.
Half of the stuff in my house is from thrift stores. I just love it but I find I have to go at least once week to catch the good deals.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:31 AM

42,837 posts, read 77,102,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Mills View Post
I pay 50 bucks a month for my prepaid cell phone, unlimited minutes and texting plus I can use it to go online, also unlimited. Best deal around. I depend on my cellphone for work, so there's no way to get around it.
How could that be? Could you give some details on it, please? I know I'm behind the times on gadgets, but I pay almost as much ($47) for a very limited plan with AT&T - only 400 regular minutes and no texting or Internet access included. Not that I care or use the latter at all or that I need more minutes... My rollover minutes expire every month without being used. Just mentioning it for the sake of comparison.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Yes, they have that here too; but they can actually *turn it off* and it stops working for a minimum of 2 hours, maximum of oops I can't remember how long.

No way will I sign up for that one!
Don't have central ac or heat but wouldn't go along with that either. I have two portable units. The one in the living room keeps it liveable and the one in the bedroom will keep the bedroom cool enough to sleep. When it was 108 here a few weeks ago I needed the ac on despite a leakage problem that got the wood floor wet.

In the socal desert unless you have the best insulated place in town losing ac during the hottest part of the day could be awful. Used to live in Riverside. My ac there was useless and I wet down the furries and wandered around Walmart across the street a lot last summer.

What really helps is black out blinds. They aren't expensive but with a window film that keeps out some of the heat and the blinds that keep it behind them my apartment with the sun beating down on my windows ALL day long was miserable but not deadly in the summer. That and lots of fans. Air flow fans properly placed will make a big difference any time of year. The blinds also keep out a lot of cold during the winter. My smallish ventless gas heater did a good job on everything but the two bedrooms with insufficent air circulation in from the fans this winter even when it was 11. I used portable heaters in those rooms when needed with an air flow fan next to the heat source to circulate it.

My blinds got ripped up a bit when my new dog who got panicy when she couldn't see out so I'm covering them and actually making them into Roman blinds. I also often go nocturnal in the summer. Cool one room when its really hot and take advantage of the evening/night when you don't need that peak problem. During the hottest part of the day, even if I'm sleeping I leave fans on for moving air is still more liveable and the heat isn't as bad. Here its not as hot most of the time as in socal, but when it is is horrible. Sure don't miss the normal socal weather during the summer.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 AM

3,088 posts, read 4,542,478 times
I remember an old song that goes . . . "love will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no love". . . . works for me!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:56 AM

210 posts, read 345,537 times
Some other ways to save$$$$$$$$$$, wrap your electric water heater all the way round and on top and wrap your hot water pipes from the heater to the faucets to prevent heat loss. If you have a heat pump you can erect a small "greenhouse" around it especially if its in the sun on the south side of the house, they work by taking heat OUT of the air in the heating season and transferring it to the house, green houses are cheap I built one on the side of the house basement wall which i painted black to capture the heat and store it in the night, it has saved a LOT!!!. Washe your dishes by hand no need to heat the water AGAIN in the dishwasher and you will use less water also then by machine.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:48 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,486,058 times
Honestly I don't kill myself, I just save like crazy and spend less then I make. I try and keep it to less then 50% of my income goes out to everything, spend money on quality products when they are on sale, and do things myself when they make sense. Just automating the savings has keep money tied up so I don't even miss it (out of sight and out of mind) and keeping non taxable accounts up have lowered my taxable income to keep it out of the governments hands.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:46 PM

682 posts, read 1,827,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack3902 View Post
Some other ways to save$$$$$$$$$$, wrap your electric water heater all the way round and on top and wrap your hot water pipes from the heater to the faucets to prevent heat loss. If you have a heat pump you can erect a small "greenhouse" around it especially if its in the sun on the south side of the house, they work by taking heat OUT of the air in the heating season and transferring it to the house, green houses are cheap I built one on the side of the house basement wall which i painted black to capture the heat and store it in the night, it has saved a LOT!!!. Washe your dishes by hand no need to heat the water AGAIN in the dishwasher and you will use less water also then by machine.
What do you wrap the water heater with? I live in an apartment, so I don't have the space to build a little greenhouse around it.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:21 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,577,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
What do you wrap the water heater with?
You wrap it with a water heater insulating jacket.
It's a pad of insulation that straps onto the water heater.
Your local hardware or building supply store has them.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:33 PM

9,316 posts, read 17,946,933 times
We've been using swimming pool "noodles" (those long foam things kids play with in swimming pools) to insulate the hot water pipes with. Slice them open lengthwise with a razor blade and then fit them over the pipes. We find them for real cheap at garage sales and they come in festive bright colors to brighten up the hot water pipes.

The first thing we did when we wanted to pay off bills and save money was to make a budget showing all income and expenses. Then we arranged the direct deposit paychecks to have some savings put aside before it even made it into the checking account. That was in 2001 and since then we've paid off all credit card debt (we were down by almost $20K) and have started putting some away for retirement. If we hadn't have started then, we would have been in a serious world of hurt now. However, even though folks can't go back and start then, it still isn't too late to start now. It's how we started and it worked for us.

We cut way back on grocery expenditures by joining a food co-op and buying in bulk. We also shop only once a week and that lowers grocery bills since we usually do without instead of buying all the extra stuff that shows up in the grocery cart while at the grocery store to buy one item. The rest of our stuff pretty much comes from yard sales and thrift shops or we grow it or make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living