U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 PM

16,464 posts, read 19,996,430 times

Advertisements

Misers are very kind people: they amass wealth for those who wish their death.

by Stanislav, King of Poland

I sometimes wonder: do the children of my extremely frugal sister and brother-in-law do that? Wish for their deaths?

My parents spent every dollar that came in, splurged when they had it, with nothing left in the end, no one ever to wish their deaths!

Last edited by tijlover; 12-13-2011 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 04:01 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Life is too short to spend valuable hours of it feeling guilt, remorse, regret.
This is true. So live in luxury without guilt, remorse, and regret. It's not impossible.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:28 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Quote:
Life is too short to spend valuable hours of it feeling guilt, remorse, regret.
Agreed... which is why I refuse to do that!

Old 12-14-2011, 07:05 AM

6,219 posts, read 7,395,658 times
[quote=NJBest;22110158]Well ofcourse. If you never splurged.... what are you saving all that money for that you "earned" by being frugal? Last I heard, you don't take your money to the grave with you.[/quote]

In that case, I'm not going!

Old 12-14-2011, 07:10 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,429,221 times
The local take out places in my area have very generous servings. For example the Greek/Italian place has wonderful ziti and meatballs. We pick up ONE order and that makes 2 very generous servings, so we pay $6.25 or a little more than $3 each. And the meatballs are homemade - sauce to die for. Our nearest Chineese has big servings as well we always split one and it is plenty.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,777 posts, read 37,451,783 times
A Lunch Splurge for me is spending $1.98 @ Wendy's, instead of $0.99. I occasionally stop by Papa Murphy's U-Bake Pizza about closing time and get 1/2 price, so about $7 for a Family size (larger than large, lasts 2 ~ 1wk). I have a couple in the freezer, sounds good today!

That said, I just got a temp job & I am going through a SPLURGE SEASON ... .

Dr., Dentist, prescriptions, glasses, shoes, a few $10 items of clothing, new shoelaces, even went to a $12 Christmas Concert (Chamber music).

(& spending on bargains that I feel will only increase with inflation.) Usually capital assets that will increase or stay the same in value.(tools / collectibles) Or stuff that I'm sure will get used (i.e. a new set of tires for 'spares' in the future... All my 50 mpg cars use the same size, and it will be that way for rest of my life). BTW: I just retired a tire yesterday that was date coded 1973... It wasn't worn out yet, but getting 'checked / cracked'. I don't recommend using tires that are over 7 yrs old. (but a light-weight StealthRabbit is ez on tires).

Old 12-14-2011, 11:48 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Not necessarily. It's been years since I've splurged on anything. When I go to a mall (maybe once a year), I can walk through the whole mall and not see a single thing that I want. At the supermarket, I never buy anything except what is on my basic grocery list, which serves a nutritional need. No baked desserts or deli cheeses or expensive cuts of meat, ever. I don't even take the bus, unless the walking distance is more than 2 miles, to save the $1 RT bus fare.

I will occasionally buy something, after long consideration, that will significantly improve the quality of my life. For example, my $119 (free shipping) flat TV has speakers that are so crappy, it's like listening to a speaker-phone. I put up with it for a year, then popped for $22 for a set of Logitech speakers. That, to me, would be a splurge.

If there is ever something I need, that unused splurge-fund is there.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:41 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Well ofcourse. If you never splurged.... what are you saving all that money for that you "earned" by being frugal? Last I heard, you don't take your money to the grave with you.
Quote:
Not necessarily. It's been years since I've splurged on anything. When I go to a mall (maybe once a year), I can walk through the whole mall and not see a single thing that I want. At the supermarket, I never buy anything except what is on my basic grocery list, which serves a nutritional need. No baked desserts or deli cheeses or expensive cuts of meat, ever. I don't even take the bus, unless the walking distance is more than 2 miles, to save the $1 RT bus fare.

I will occasionally buy something, after long consideration, that will significantly improve the quality of my life. For example, my $119 (free shipping) flat TV has speakers that are so crappy, it's like listening to a speaker-phone. I put up with it for a year, then popped for $22 for a set of Logitech speakers. That, to me, would be a splurge.

If there is ever something I need, that unused splurge-fund is there.
So in reference to my earlier post (quoted above for your convenience).... what exactly are you saving all your money for? If you almost never splurge.... you must have a nice heavy bank roll.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:46 PM

6,717 posts, read 11,166,301 times
Realistically, if you take your frugality to the extremes for a long period of time, you'd eventually lose your mind and go on a splurging binge.

Don't know if that's the case for you but I'm just speaking from experience..

Splurge more on the things that really matter to you be it vacations, cars, alcohol, music, drugs, etc. and you'll be a saner and more stable person overall.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:12 PM

11,426 posts, read 19,438,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
That said, I just got a temp job & I am going through a SPLURGE SEASON ... .

Dr., Dentist, prescriptions, glasses, shoes, a few $10 items of clothing, new shoelaces, even went to a $12 Christmas Concert (Chamber music).
SHOELACES?!? You're a WILDMAN!!!!

I'll be splurging on fabric soon -- niece picked out her wedding quilt -- king sized.... lots of fabric in pinks, reds, whites and creams....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living