U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:45 PM

1,362 posts, read 2,845,666 times

Advertisements

I spend about $60/month on clothing, and most of my clothes are "designer."

Not having to go to an office, deal with dry cleaning, etc. saves a LOT of money in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 09:30 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
I'm not sure exactly when it was I last bought an article of clothing, but it was more than a year ago. I never buy anything retail except shoes, about a pair every two years, which is how long it take me to wear out a pair. Everything else is from thrift shops, and it's been more than a year since I bought any clothing there. Including shoes, the total I've spend on clothing in the past five years is maybe $200, tops.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:45 AM

2,890 posts, read 5,153,544 times
Much of this depends on your career. I'm in management, so I need to look the part. If I had a field job, or were retired - that would be a different story.

1.5% of take home (after taxes, 401k, cost of benefits, etc.) is probably as high as I could justify.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:17 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,502,858 times
A clothing budget is entirely dependent on needs. Because I'm a SAHM and my husband's workplace is casual, we spend a great deal less as a percentage of salary than my parents did on their clothing. If my husband and I worked jobs that required formal attire and we had a pack of children, I expect that our expenses would be much higher. As it stands, I think we probably spend about 3% of our annual income to clothe our family of four.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:51 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,204,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish70 View Post
Prior to today's tough economic times....I would often shop for many of my clothes are Thrift Stores (ie: Salvation Army). With my professional career being an insurance agent, I could afford to buy the designer clothes...I just chose not to spend exorbitant amounts of money. I'd be able to purchase high end designer clothing - often brand new with tags. The money that I saved on my clothing - I would save & use on a new vehicle, vacation, etc.

Now, I will say that I would still purchase my undergarments NEW (at JCPenny & when on sale ONLY); shoes (Payless)

Now, I'm even more fortunate...other then undergarments (which now I purchase at WalMart - sport bras 3 per pack...very comfortable & economical) and undies at Old Navy (when on sale)....

ALL my other clothing is FREE to me. I have sources that purchase from auctions and then I can choose which clothes I like (if they fit is usually the biggest problem ). They buy in bulk and recover their $$ by takin to other auctions or Consignment Stores.

Everything from jackets, dresses, suits, jeans, exercise clothes.....

Shoes: well, many of my shoes I have now....I've had for at least a few years (til they are worn looking). I would take birthday $$, etc & save to buy my MBT sneakers. They are rather expensive shoes...but at that time I owned a business where I was on my feet 7 days a week 12-18 hours a day, so I needed to make an investment in the proper footwear. I still wouldn't purchase those shows though unless they were on sale. I may spend more $ on my shoes, but I have a lot fewer shoes then I use to need..so it probably almost balances out.
LOVE MBT's. Try Sketcher's Shape Ups too. A little less expensive but also great.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:43 AM

2,539 posts, read 8,565,230 times
I don't really set a "budget" per se, but since I work from home, I try to keep my clothing expenditures as low as possible. I love nice feeling, high quality fabrics (like pima cotton and Modal and such), and I usually just look for incredible sales and jump on those. I probably spend, on average, $30-50/month.

I never, ever pay retail!

Recently I got 5 pairs of new underwear from Victoria's Secret for $15 using a $10 off coupon. I also bought a pair of jeans from American Eagle (not somewhere I typically shop) for $13, using a 30% off sale + a $10 coupon. I was a little weary--but they turned out to be very nice jeans, and they're petite--so I didn't have to spend $$ to get them hemmed.

At the moment I really want a pair of Ugg boots, but I just can't justify the expenditure (or the fact I feel like I'm paying a premium for a trend). I have a faux pair, but the real ones seem to be 10x more comfortable. However, when I do get a pair eventually, I'm going to get the kids size 5, which is equivalent to a ladies' 7...same exact thing...and $40 less.

Last edited by thepinksquid; 01-16-2010 at 12:57 AM..

Old 01-17-2010, 07:38 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,199,178 times
I rarely buy clothes- I just wear the same ones to work over the years. I have a basic wardrobe of neutral colors. No current fashions here. What I do buy now I get at thrift shops. I look for designer labels & quality. Plus I wear a lot of basic dockers. One of the tricks is to keep one's weight down and then have the pickings of small sizes as other women give them to charity as they get pregnant, gain weight, etc. I do actually buy new shoes, boots, socks, and underwear!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:49 PM

5,530 posts, read 8,186,609 times
I never thought about this before. Interesting question.

I went a long time without buying clothes. I wear suits for work, and I had a whole bunch of them, so I didn't need any new ones for a long time. And I had plenty of casual clothes that weren't worn out, so there wasn't that much reason to buy new ones.

Late last year, I bought a whole bunch of clothes, for a couple of reason. First is that I lost some weight, and a lot of my clothes were too big. Also, my suits started to wear out finally, in addition to being too big. So I bought a bunch of clothes, and spent about $2,400 in 2009, after spending around $500 in 2008 and $750 in 2007. That's a pretty low percentage of my income.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:46 PM

2,373 posts, read 5,238,041 times
This past year I spent $180 on new shoes and interview outfits. Other than that I haven't bought new clothes in about 2 years.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:17 AM

171 posts, read 375,947 times
I do not have a set budget, but I've gotten to the point where I spend very little overall. I have a young son, and initially spend gobs on nice clothes for him, but quickly learned, as was put above, to seek alternative sources. Here in the Boston area, thrift stores are fantastic. I frequent one outlet where everything--adult, kids, etc is $1.50 an item, abd shoes are $2. I've found *amazing" deals on new, nearly new, and "plenty of life remaining." Often higher end brands, but at that price, worth it even for the Old Navy jeans I'm wearing. (I need talls, so I'll happily pay $1.50 a pair..lol)

The other part to this is stocking up, much in the same way that people who build emergency food storage do. If I'm out thrifting and see a really nice item a couple of sizes too big for my son, I buy it. For example, last winter I found a nearly new Boden parka and Kamik boots that will fit him this winter and maybe even next, depending. The coat was $1.50, the boots $2. Classics worn year-round like jeans, polos, I'll buy in ANY size range from where he is now, if the price is right, and I do not already have a full bin of that size. (I sort roughly by season/type and size.)

Another thrift store near me marks all the kids shoes at 99 cents each. Finds include Ecco loafers, Nike cleats, Converse Chuck Taylors, Teva sandals, Merrell slip ons. If they're in great shape, I buy them and put away for ds to grow into.

I do the same thing if I see a really fantastic deal on socks, underwear, etc. from a traditional store. Hanna Andersson has great kids underwear--really soft, well-made, organic cotton, but they're painfully expensive. Something like $12+ a pair normally. A couple of yrs ago I was in an outlet where they had 3 packs marked down to $4 from $28 or 30. All several sizes larger than my son was at the time, but I knew they'd fit eventually. I bought several packages, and now for the same cost/a bit less as the scratchy "Target/Walmart" variety, but that wear better and are more comfy,he has undies for the next couple of years. This has worked out nicely, since I'm about to become a single mom, and I know money will be tight for awhile. I know I don't have to worry that my son will not have clothes that he needs, and I will not have that drain on the budget. I'll just "shop" from my well-stocked bins!

Needless to say, he's all set for school clothes for fall. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or