U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 02:03 PM

11,897 posts, read 14,368,392 times

Advertisements

Clothing is probably the lowest of the three essentials. Food a bit higher and shelter the highest of anything. About three percent. Shoes were a priority for some, but you can get those on sale too. A rule of thumb I've heard is replace after 600 miles, but they will last longer if you alternate: don't wear the same pair two days in a row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 02:08 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,427,088 times
that sounds a little high, i thrift store everything.
deadman's clothes.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:47 AM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,831,747 times
When I was doing budgeting for NavyMarineCorp Relief Society, the standard was $25 per person per month. Keeping in mind that the service member was wearing uniforms (no higher end suits) and there was a yearly allowance to help with the upkeep/replacement of them (although the allowance didn't always cover the costs) I have kept that number as my budgeting number, and it seems to work. With children, who out grow clothes, the number seems to work. For adults (hubby now retired) who don't grow out of them, they last longer, but are more expensive to purchase.
My sister, who works in an office, in a large city, spends much more than that. When I go visit her, I use her local thrift shops for our clothing purchase (places with a larger disposable income have better thrift shops) A year ago I got 8 coats (3 of them leather) for less than $200. This gave each member of my family 2 coats.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:57 PM

9,856 posts, read 13,017,636 times
I work for a fortune 500 company and have to dress up every day...I spend maybe $200/year on clothes. I only buy dress clothes on sale, and the majority of my non-work clothes (t-shirts at least) are free from charity cycling/running races. I typically don't buy anything new until an article of clothing I currently have wears out.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:07 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,048,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwmeaway View Post
Ok, don't jump on the title of this post.

I'm just wondering what percent of net income people think is appropriate for spending on clothes (this includes underwear, socks, tops, etc.. basically anything that you can wear)

I've been on a shopping binge the last few months and have spent more than my average. I'm on a 5% pace this year.
The word appropreate depeds o mnay things like your income;your occupation. By that I mean its like the difference between what a carpenter would send on tools and the average homeowner.The average blue collar worker will not spend near as much on clothes really by need.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:46 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,766,944 times
I spend less then $100 a year. Most of that is shoes, since I wear thru mine quickly, and I wont buy used shoes.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:44 PM

15,044 posts, read 13,106,118 times
On average...how long do your "daily" shoes last? Of course the main factors involved are the quality of the shoe and how much wear and tear you put on it.

I've worn the same sneakers everyday for a year and one month so far. While they are a bit worn out, I believe there's a lot of life left in them. Spent $50 on them.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:48 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,766,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
On average...how long do your "daily" shoes last? Of course the main factors involved are the quality of the shoe and how much wear and tear you put on it.

I've worn the same sneakers everyday for a year and one month so far. While they are a bit worn out, I believe there's a lot of life left in them. Spent $50 on them.

About 6 months to a year. I usually buy the cheapest shoes I can find. They probably are low quality, but I can get about 3 pairs of cheap ones for the price of 1 better made shoe, so Im guessing Im probably getting better value out of the 3 cheap ones.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:21 AM

171 posts, read 376,108 times
I have probably 12+ [airs, but I can tell you that some are 10+ years old.

When I buy used, I look for new or almost new--i.e. shoes you can tell were worn once or twice. The $2 Danskos I bought as such will last several years.

Rotating helps, so I think the poster above who buys 3 cheap pairs and switches it up also has a good strategy. I have flat feet, walk a lot and wear a size 11, so most (but not all) really cheap new shoes do not work for me.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:39 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,246,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwmeaway View Post
Ok, don't jump on the title of this post.

I'm just wondering what percent of net income people think is appropriate for spending on clothes (this includes underwear, socks, tops, etc.. basically anything that you can wear)

I've been on a shopping binge the last few months and have spent more than my average. I'm on a 5% pace this year.
Let's see. We make about 20k a year and I spend roughly 12 dollars a month on clothes.....If I knew how to figure the percentage on that I would, but I don't.

Maybe someone will help me out.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or