U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2009, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Northern California
481 posts, read 604,457 times
Reputation: 245

Advertisements

Homemade Bisquick

9 cups flour
1/2 cup baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups canola oil

Mix dry ingredients together well.

Cut oil into mixture with pastry blender until it is like cornmeal.

Store in container with tight cover in the refrigerator.

For biscuits: combine 2 cups mix and 2/3 cups milk. Roll out and cut or drop by spoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes in a PREHEATED oven at 450 degrees.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2009, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Northern California
481 posts, read 604,457 times
Reputation: 245
Impossible Garden Pie

2 cups sliced zucchini
1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup grated Jack or parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup Bisquick
3 eggs

Heat oven to 400 degrees F.

Layer zucchini, tomatoes and onion in a greased 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan and pepper. Mix milk, Bisquick and eggs in a blender for 1 minute. Pour over the vegetables.

. Bake for 30 minutes. Let set 5 minutes before cutting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2009, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Northern California
481 posts, read 604,457 times
Reputation: 245
Impossible Cherry Pie

1 cup milk
2 tablespoons soft butter or margarine
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 eggs
1/2 cup Bisquick
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling

Streusel:
2 tablespoons firm butter
1/2 cup Bisquick
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Heat oven to 400 degrees F.

Grease 10-inch pie plate. Beat all ingredients, except pie filling and streusel in blender for 15 seconds. Pour into pie plate.
Spoon pie filling evenly over top. Bake 25 minutes.
Then, top with streusel. Bake until brown, about 10 minutes. Cool. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2009, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Martinsville, NJ
6,159 posts, read 10,893,123 times
Reputation: 3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
Homemade Bisquick

9 cups flour
1/2 cup baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups canola oil

Mix dry ingredients together well.

Cut oil into mixture with pastry blender until it is like cornmeal.

Store in container with tight cover in the refrigerator.

For biscuits: combine 2 cups mix and 2/3 cups milk. Roll out and cut or drop by spoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes in a PREHEATED oven at 450 degrees.

If you skip the oil, can't you just store it in the pantry like the store bought version, and then add the oil with the other wet ingredients when you want to cook with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Northern California
481 posts, read 604,457 times
Reputation: 245
It's just easier and quicker if you mix in the oil and store it in the fridge. It works WELL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2009, 06:25 AM
 
732 posts, read 1,667,808 times
Reputation: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
It's just easier and quicker if you mix in the oil and store it in the fridge. It works WELL.
How long does this mixture keep? It sounds like a cheap and pretty easy substitute for the brand name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2009, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Southeastern North Carolina
1,607 posts, read 3,112,182 times
Reputation: 2802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
Homemade Bisquick

9 cups flour
1/2 cup baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups canola oil

Mix dry ingredients together well.

Cut oil into mixture with pastry blender until it is like cornmeal.

Store in container with tight cover in the refrigerator.

For biscuits: combine 2 cups mix and 2/3 cups milk. Roll out and cut or drop by spoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes in a PREHEATED oven at 450 degrees.

Thanks--I'm glad to have a way to make biscuits without hydrogenated oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Northern California
481 posts, read 604,457 times
Reputation: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
How long does this mixture keep? It sounds like a cheap and pretty easy substitute for the brand name.
If kept in the fridge, it will keep fresh for a very long time.

It actually works better than the brand name in a box, rises better and tastes fresher.

Happy baking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Northern California
481 posts, read 604,457 times
Reputation: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
Impossible Cherry Pie

1 cup milk
2 tablespoons soft butter or margarine
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 eggs
1/2 cup Bisquick
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling

Streusel:
2 tablespoons firm butter
1/2 cup Bisquick
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Heat oven to 400 degrees F.

Grease 10-inch pie plate. Beat all ingredients, except pie filling and streusel in blender for 15 seconds. Pour into pie plate.
Spoon pie filling evenly over top. Bake 25 minutes.
Then, top with streusel. Bake until brown, about 10 minutes. Cool. Refrigerate any leftovers.
I just made this recipe using fresh peaches, and I omitted the strusel topping. It was yummy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Northern California
481 posts, read 604,457 times
Reputation: 245
Default This is one of my favorites!

Savory Cheese/Onion Sticks

1 cup Bisquick
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup soft butter
1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
Diced green onions

Heat oven to 450. Mix milk & Bisquick with fork. Beat 15 strokes.

Put onto a board lightly dusted with Bisquick. Knead 10 times to smooth up. Roll into large rectangle.

Spread with butter, cheese & green onions.

Roll up like jelly roll, fold both ends to the center, roll out again 1/4″ thick.

Cut into narrow 1/2" strips. Place on baking sheet. Bake 8 - 10 min.

Serve hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top