U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 12:57 AM

682 posts, read 1,827,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Great link!

Probably a bit more do-able for us "average folks" . When I posted the original story, I knew it was "extreme", just found it interesting.
It is extreme, but part of being passionate about something is going to extremes, I guess. Even though he's basically a hobo, I find it a little admirable that he just doesn't care about the status quo or about doing what's expected of him as an American. I sometimes wish I could stop caring about social/political confinements as much as he has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 12:45 AM

9,316 posts, read 17,951,460 times
I find "comfortable" much more important than status symbols. Maybe because I don't have a good opinion of other folks' opinions? Who knows. I like my ratty old farm van, I like my ratty old tractor and if they don't like my ratty old chickens, tough.

Money is useful as a medium of exchange. Have you ever tried using chickens as money? There are more places than you'd imagine where you can swap goods for chickens. They are much harder to carry around though than dollars so I can see why money is so popular.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:24 AM

5,115 posts, read 9,413,466 times
Gosh, I know what you mean..it's tough getting those chickens in your wallet...always something sticking out..a leg or a wing...

Old 08-27-2009, 07:45 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,433,041 times
Funny LittleDolphin! But I understand what HotzCatz is getting at with the bartering comment. With the failing banks, it did cross my mind several times as to what do I have to trade for food or other basic necessitities if our currency was no longer any good. Of course I think that is an extreme and worst-case scenario but it is good to think about what you would do in certain situations. That, of course, has been discussed on other threads so I won't hijack this one but HotzCatz is right on target to think about bartering. I just traded a hot tub for 40 hours of labor to help me on the new farm. The guy's wife was DELIGHTED to get it and I am DELIGHTED to have the help to get this farm up and going......

Old 08-27-2009, 08:34 AM

Didn't mean to imply I was anti-bartering--I love bartering, swapping and trading as often as I can. It's not only fun, but it saves bucks and makes both parties happy when it's a good trade.

Just swapped clothes, books, costume jewelry and small household items at a get-together the other night with six friends. We all left happy, with new things, and no money was involved.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:51 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,468,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Just swapped clothes, books, costume jewelry and small household items at a get-together the other night with six friends. We all left happy, with new things, and no money was involved.
Ohhhhh, that is a really cool idea.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:36 PM

Thanks, it was a cool idea. No credit to me, it was a friend's idea. Lots of fun, too. And very, very frugal. Three out of three ain't bad!!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:21 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Didn't mean to imply I was anti-bartering--I love bartering, swapping and trading as often as I can. It's not only fun, but it saves bucks and makes both parties happy when it's a good trade.

Personally, I think that is a GREAT idea, especially if you have a LARGE group with diverse ages. Personally, I have a lot of camping gear that I would be happy to hand off to a young family just to clear some space in the garage.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:32 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,468,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, I think that is a GREAT idea, especially if you have a LARGE group with diverse ages. Personally, I have a lot of camping gear that I would be happy to hand off to a young family just to clear some space in the garage.
You can google "naked lady party" to see how some gals have been doing this swap stuff for a few years---usually with clothing and accessories.

Some friends and I decided to do the same thing with a twist: we were all cyclists/runners/outdoors people and centered our swap around those interests.

Are you involved with Scouting or the Sierra Club? Send out an email to gauge interest and plan a swapping party. It would be fun do something like a campfire and s'mores. Make it an event. Let us know how it goes.

If you just want to get rid of "stuff" (and not do a swap) post your things on Freecycle.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:04 PM

Yippee! Let's start a trend--swapping parties for all! "Stuff" that is..I plan to keep my DH!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living