U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:48 PM

9,599 posts, read 17,702,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
I live in rural SC and am thinking that some rustic family retreats with no access to ANY electronic gadgets might be an interesting exercise for some families. Kids are learning only to communicate via text messaging, etc... I think social skills are actually declining among young people because they are communicating less face-to-face.
Thats a good idea. Kids today are so damn lazy & having a ipod or cell phone is a priority in their lives. I blame the parents for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 08:54 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,186,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
Thats a good idea. Kids today are so damn lazy & having a ipod or cell phone is a priority in their lives. I blame the parents for that.

I do agree. And I'm not saying I never had things as a kid, but I would NEVER have been allowed a cell phone, Ipod, etc. (not that they had those at that time - my big treat when I turned 18 was to get myself a beeper, LOL).

In fact, just yesteday my nephew was saying how he is always out of minutes, esp. now that school is out, all they do is text each other. My mother made a comment about why don't they just go over to their house to see each other, or pick up the regular telephone. He just rolled his eyes.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:14 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
But we live in a tax tyranny. If you obtain anything of value, no matter how essential it is to your livelihood, it is taxable.

The other day I was thinking about this scenario. An elderly woman who requires some care and attention hires a live-in housekeeper. The housekeeper is provided generously with comfortable room and board, personal use of the car, health care, a clothing allowance, etc. and has literally nothing she needs to buy for herself. There is a small payment of a little pocket money.

Now, the IRS will calculate the market value of all the benefits, and assess an income tax on the housekeeper in the appropriate marginal bracket. She is now faced with three options: 1), find a part time job somewhere, to earn the cash that the IRS demands, 2) steal her employer's belonging and sell them to get the money to pay taxes, or 3) arrange to have her employer pay the IRS herself, in addition to what she is already generously paying to retain the housekeeper.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:32 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,745,953 times
Avoid extremes. That's what I've always been told.

Unfortunately, with the current system you're either on the boat and working like a dog for a flimsy apartment (and maybe your own home if you don't mind overtime) or you're on the streets...there's very little middle ground.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:14 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,745,953 times
Guess I should read a post before posting.
Whoops!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living