U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you make your own cleaning solution at home?
Yes, I make my own and it saves a ton of $$ 27 52.94%
No, I've never tried it before... 24 47.06%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 02:55 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Soak a cotton ball with the vanilla and put it in an open dish to get rid of smells. That's what my Grandma did, anyway :-)
You can do the same with almond extract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 05:14 PM

1,889 posts, read 6,987,029 times
I've used water and vinegar a few times. I originally got the tip from my auto detailer after having freshly tinted my car windows. Vinegar and water was the most gentle and effective choice. I still prefer to buy my products than to make them when it comes to major household cleaning.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:36 AM

64 posts, read 284,803 times
I've been using ammonia and water for ages. It's a great grease cutter, cheap, and works great for all kinds of cleaning. Vinegar is wonderful, too, especially for dissolving hard water deposits. Several people said the smell bothers them. ~?~ I think it disperses pretty quickly. No one mentioned baking soda, I don't think. I use it on damp, just washed coffee cups. Sprinkle a little inside, then rub with your finger -- no more stain. It's also good on formica.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:19 PM

12,230 posts, read 1,648,752 times
I have made fabric softener with a recipe I got off the internet, using white vinegar, water, and a bottle of hair conditioner. Works fine. In my area of Missouri there is a community of Amish people. I was in Dollar General one day and a young Amish man was buying liquid Cheer and a six-pack of Mountain Dew! I would have thought they made their soap/detergent, etc.(?)

Old 08-30-2009, 07:53 PM

33 posts, read 86,464 times
Buy white vinegar to use as a rinse for clothing, hair, clean windows in a spray bottle diluted with water. Ammonia cleans everything, bathrooms, I like the smell, but I open the windows, hair brushes, mixed with water to clean windows, too. DONT mix ammonia based products or ammonia itself with chlorine or cholorine-based cleaners or you will be gassed. I did years ago and almost killed myself and my 4 year old. Baking soda open in the box takes smells out of the refrigerator. Sprinkled on the carpet before vacuuming, too. Clean dirty battery posts in the car with Coca Cola.
Spray your bathroom mirror with the room freshener and it cleans like a window cleaner and leaves a lingering scent. Waste not, want not. Keep a bar of brown soap on hand to clean everything that you are afraid to use detergents on.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:35 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,582,076 times
I make my own cleaners, but I'm too lazy to use them so I don't know if they work or not.

I recently found a good recipe for deck cleaner that costs a fraction of the commercial mixes.

But I think I can let the mold and dirt build up four or five more years before I have to use it.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:37 AM

890 posts, read 3,142,497 times
I use Lysol concentrate for everything. It's the cheapest thing out there, and it sterilizes the house!

Old 09-01-2009, 05:40 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
I use a lot of vinegar, baking soda, and salt in cleaning my house. I pour vinegar and baking soda down my drains periodically to deodorize them, and I use salt or baking soda with water made into a paste to scrub things. Vinegar shines up my mirrors and taps very well. I do not like the strong smells from most household cleaners.

However if anyone has a tip for cleaning a vinyl kitchen floor I would love to hear it. I have tried various things on mine and it still always looks dingy.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:50 PM

746 posts, read 1,902,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I use a lot of vinegar, baking soda, and salt in cleaning my house. I pour vinegar and baking soda down my drains periodically to deodorize them, and I use salt or baking soda with water made into a paste to scrub things. Vinegar shines up my mirrors and taps very well. I do not like the strong smells from most household cleaners.

However if anyone has a tip for cleaning a vinyl kitchen floor I would love to hear it. I have tried various things on mine and it still always looks dingy.
For dingy vinyl floors, add some bleach to the mop water. Use a mop that is still quite wet and let it sit for a couple minutes before going back and wiping up the excess.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:52 AM

7,139 posts, read 12,894,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

I have a very old house, and think the vinyl flooring in the kitchen is original! It is an interesting speckled red color. I use ammonia diluted w/water and dish soap and seems to keep it shiny for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or