U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you make your own cleaning solution at home?
Yes, I make my own and it saves a ton of $$ 27 52.94%
No, I've never tried it before... 24 47.06%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 11:39 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,606,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graytabbie View Post
...a young Amish man was buying liquid Cheer and a six-pack of Mountain Dew!
We took our down comforter to the laundromat for the lady to wash it in her large commercial machine.
The cats had been sleeping on it and one of them vomited.
It smelled kind of catty and fishy.

She got a can of Mountain Dew out of the vending machine and poured it into the washer.
She said it's the best thing for getting out odors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 04:58 PM

305 posts, read 1,127,827 times
Besides the white vinegar for cleaning sinks and showers, I use bleach to clean everything, the dilution ratio for household cleaning is 3/4 cup to a gallon, I have reused the spray bottle that originally had Lysol Bleach household cleaner in it. When you figure that container costs about $2 in the store and I am using a fifth a cup of bleach (which if I had to estimate costs about 2 cents) and tap water to refill, I am doing good on savings, plus I feel better about reusing the plastic container.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:27 PM

7,139 posts, read 12,911,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol_Stacey View Post
Besides the white vinegar for cleaning sinks and showers, I use bleach to clean everything, the dilution ratio for household cleaning is 3/4 cup to a gallon, I have reused the spray bottle that originally had Lysol Bleach household cleaner in it. When you figure that container costs about $2 in the store and I am using a fifth a cup of bleach (which if I had to estimate costs about 2 cents) and tap water to refill, I am doing good on savings, plus I feel better about reusing the plastic container.
Good point. I reuse all of my household cleaner spray bottles. Have in the past bought numerous spray bottles, only to have the sprayer apparatus go out after a few uses.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:19 AM

2,178 posts, read 4,720,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
However if anyone has a tip for cleaning a vinyl kitchen floor I would love to hear it. I have tried various things on mine and it still always looks dingy.
Have you tried regular rubbing alcohol? I use it alot for cleaning... Rubbing alcohol removes glue & stickiness in general. However the paint on the oven fan thing came off when I used it there...

Dr. Bronner's is useful for cleaning... Gets the tub really clean. If I use it for shampoo, it feels like it could melt my eyeballs: caution.

I clean my bathroom mirror by simply wiping it down after showering: I use a wash cloth reserved for keeping the sink area dry.

When I'm about to toss a bath or hand towel into the laundry, I first use it to do a quick mop up of the bathroom floor.

Kate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or