U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:10 PM

102 posts, read 261,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
But don't you need to subscribe to Netflix for this?
Yes, I mentioned that. Sorry it wasn't clear. It costs a minimum of $8.99 per month, up to $16.99/month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtalman
You don't even need a computer (mostly). All you need is this: Roku Netflix Player and a Netflix account. It will most likely connect to your old TV. The only thing you need a computer for is to select a list of movies you want to watch. Then you can use the remote to play any movie on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 07:20 PM

929 posts, read 1,823,735 times
How will you survive without all those reruns, shopping channels and endless infomercials? The cable companies should be paying us for letting them pipe this crud into our house.
Isn't it amazing that with 200 channels plus, there still isn't anything on TV worth watching.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:14 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,000,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
How will you survive without all those reruns, shopping channels and endless infomercials? The cable companies should be paying us for letting them pipe this crud into our house.
Isn't it amazing that with 200 channels plus, there still isn't anything on TV worth watching.
Yes, it is. Once the honeymoon is over 200 channels can equal zero very quickly we get so desensitized from the overload of stuff to watch.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:18 PM

250 posts, read 793,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtalman View Post
You don't even need a computer (mostly). All you need is this: Roku Netflix Player and a Netflix account. It will most likely connect to your old TV. The only thing you need a computer for is to select a list of movies you want to watch. Then you can use the remote to play any movie on the list.
Also if one has a Series 2 or 3 TiVo, it features the Netflix On Demand player. Netflix subscription still needed.

While most the movies titles are old, and for most new releases one still has to do the mail rental so Netflix can make money, one cool thing I saw is that one can add TV shows to the Instant Queue. I've enjoyed watching a few episodes of The Munsters. A number of old shows are there, but some of the best ones aren't. It'd be cool if every TV show that's on DVD could go up on the On Demand. Technology exists for it, but I'm sure its hindering on payments and royalties. But I wouldn't mind if I had to pay a slight premium for certain shows.

It would be so much easier than having to flip through DVDs, mail them and wait for the mail, or buying them outright and then having to re-sell them to keep my costs low, or worse watching them on cable shortened with commercials and bugs.

Last edited by subwayfan; 08-05-2009 at 12:31 PM..

Old 08-05-2009, 12:36 PM

5,321 posts, read 10,582,073 times
I must be a cheapa$$. I don't do cable, local tv stations only. If I want to see something, I can check out dvds from my local library as well as surf the internet there, or take the laptop to a coffee house. No landline, just cell phone. I too got tired of the boxes and gizmos etc etc. Although Iwill admit when I visit friends who have dish or direct or cable, I'm like a kid in a candy store but it's a novelty.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:53 PM

6 posts, read 10,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post

I am now cable free and $125/month richer!
Same here...canceled cable June 1st and bought a digital box for the broadcast TV channels...no regrets because most of the shows offered by cable suck. It seemed kind of silly paying $65 a month to watch five or six channels.

I am now cable free and $65/month richer.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:08 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,636,934 times
I have Comcast. I pay $189/month for all the cable channels, phone, and internet. I called yesterday to try and get a cheaper package. the guy i spoke to was an *****. He told me that I had their special introductory package, and that starting in January, my rates will go up to $260/month. I just couldn't imagine having to pay that much for cable. I'll looking into competitor packages in the area. When I told him I would research other companies he just said "fine". You'd think they wouldn't want you to do that.

I also found out that I have the highest capacity broadband connection they offer, as well as national calling. They told me when I originally signed up that these were my only options.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:20 PM

2,487 posts, read 5,576,530 times
I pay around $130.00 per month.....which I hate. I have the internet, cable and phone...no premium channels but we have the DVR boxes which cost alot. And what pisses me off is that they didn't tell when I got my multi room DVR that if you DVR HD shows if you don't have HD DRV boxes in other rooms you can't watch them. I am not sure how long my contract is but I will reconsider when it's up.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:52 PM

3,825 posts, read 6,179,321 times
For the past five years I have been getting HD OTA and saved a lot of money not paying for cable. I a now live on the side of a mountain and unfortunately can only get 2 network stations and PBS. I recently had cable installed and believe it or not after five years of not having cable all I see are reruns, reruns, and more reruns. Pay TV is overpriced and sucks anyway. After my initial price break period I will dump the cable and be satisfied with my HD OTA.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:15 PM

370 posts, read 884,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
I've been meaning to call my cable company to negotiate a lower rate for their services. My bill was $125/month and included internet, cable, DVR feature, and I think one movie channel package. So I call them up and the customer service rep tells me she can give me the same thing for $85/month for 6 months and then it would go back up to their normal rate. To be honest I'd rather not have to worry about calling them every 6 months to get them to renew their offer. So I decided to cancel! I'm just tired of the games, gimmicks, and the ever rising costs of cable tv. If they cut out the gimmicks and charged a reasonable price I'd be more then happy to continue using their services.

I rarely watch tv, and use Netflix and Redbox for those times that I am in the mood for a movie. I use my cable modem alot but I also have a Verizon Wireless aircard that is more then adequate for my websurfing needs.

I am now cable free and $125/month richer!

We cancelled ours too. Only ours was 135 a month from Comcast and was just cable, no movie channels, DVR and internet. There is really nothing worthwhile on TV anyway. When there is a worthwhile show, to suffer through the commercials just is not worth it. We just rent movies from Redbox and watch those. We have internet through broadband Verizon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living