Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 08:15 PM

156 posts, read 558,473 times

Advertisements

TV = The "Idiot" Box

Have you ever thought about the concept of watching TV? Watching other people LIVE THEIR LIVES?

Television is the opiate of the masses...all it does is make you lethargic/rob you of ambition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 02:49 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
We pay $51 to Comcast per month for our internet and basic $10-or so basic cable. We watch a lot of TV (I love it and am not ashamed to admit it) but have no desire for more cable. For about 2 months we had a promotional access to all but HBO, Showtime, and the other premium channels, and I was not impressed with the batch that people pay so much for. My husband watched more cable programs than I did. When the access reached an abrupt end, he missed it more than I did.

If I want to see a movie I go to Hollywood Video and rent one. Netflix isn't a match for me. I sometimes go for months without renting anything, so paying a monthly fee would be stupid.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Been TV free since April. hulu.com is what I use now. Currently watching the current season of Burn Notice. What I do like about it is that I can watch it on my schedule.

Many TV programs have their episodes on the net. Daily Show, Burn Notice, Monk (those I watch).
My son found his programs (WWE, Family Guy, some others I can't recall).

C-Span is even available if you are into following government debate.

All in all it's easily $600/year I'm not spending anymore.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:32 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,294,082 times
We didn't go cable-free on purpose. What happened was, something went wrong with our digital cable "amplifier". I don't know what it is but it quit and we no longer had cable in the house.

At first the kids were upset, but it didn't last long. They soon found other things to do. We switched to AT&T for our home phone and internet... I have to have internet for school... and we've been without cable TV for over a year now. No one seems to care. The internet substitutes when we want to watch something anyway. We do have Netflix, and we use all available options to watch something online if we are in the mood for a "show". I have found I don't miss it at all. There are some shows I am "in to" and watch via Netflix but I love that it's on MY time, I'm not locked in to being there when it comes on. We have the cheapest Netflix account available but with the "instant play" options it's more than enough for a family of five.

My mom reminds me of how I used to be, always waiting for some show to come on, telling me to call back because her show is on, etc. When she's not home she's recording stuff to watch "later" and always has a backlog of stuff she wants to watch. I am glad I'm not owned by the TV anymore and wish she'd come around!

Old 08-14-2009, 08:50 PM

426 posts, read 1,282,601 times
Default cable

I agree with some of the others on Comcast has to be the worst. Had a special for six months. Limited Basic and Showtime for $39.99.When the specail is over it is up to around $75.You don't even get all of the basic channels.
Most of the stuff shown at night is paid advertising, and yes we should be paid for them selling that to us.
I love how they say you get 150 -200 channels.Should home shopping, religous, community and music channels be counted, it is all just filer.
I also tried calling to see if Comcast would continue the special and they said no. They tried to sell me a bundle.
I hate cable, everyone should cancel.All of the other options DISH and Directtv want you to sign a two year contract, have a credit card, etc. I do not want to sign a contract. That is the only good thing about Comcast, no contract.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:36 AM

328 posts, read 886,127 times
Good for you. I reduced my service to basic when I stopped working. It was not as hard as I thought it would be. I

Old 08-19-2009, 08:42 PM

690 posts, read 2,108,086 times
I've been thinking about this, but I can't seem to find a cheap internet rate for someone who doesn't have a land line. The cheapest I've found is $20 for people with land lines and another $20 for the land line. So that's $40...not much less than what I'm paying for internet and basic cable right now($60). I'm not sure if doing that is worth the monthly savings, once you factor in the set up costs.

Does anyone know a cheaper alternative? I think I could do without TV, but I think getting rid of the internet would be a huge inconvenience.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:00 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys View Post
I agree with some of the others on Comcast has to be the worst. Had a special for six months. Limited Basic and Showtime for $39.99.When the specail is over it is up to around $75.You don't even get all of the basic channels.
Most of the stuff shown at night is paid advertising, and yes we should be paid for them selling that to us.
I love how they say you get 150 -200 channels.Should home shopping, religous, community and music channels be counted, it is all just filer.
I also tried calling to see if Comcast would continue the special and they said no. They tried to sell me a bundle.
I hate cable, everyone should cancel.All of the other options DISH and Directtv want you to sign a two year contract, have a credit card, etc. I do not want to sign a contract. That is the only good thing about Comcast, no contract.
I have Comcast and it really kind of sucks! I had it black out for about a week and they only took $5.00 off and then had to come out and fiddle with it. It always has the wrong listings on the guide and wrong days for things. It is pretty expensive at $30 per month, at least for me because I live on disability right now. The only thing that worries me, is that I have Verizon dsl and can't get the Internet if I cancell or can I? Do I need cable to still get the Internet? I have a modem. I would miss CNN, A&E and Lifetime. What to do?!

Old 08-19-2009, 10:20 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I called Comcast and asked if their were any discounts or promotions they could offer me. They guy said if I downgraded my cable tv one level he could put me on a 12 month promo that saves me $60 per month on my TV/Internet. After looking at the channels I would loose I realized I don't watch any of them so I agreed.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:14 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I have Comcast and it really kind of sucks! I had it black out for about a week and they only took $5.00 off and then had to come out and fiddle with it. It always has the wrong listings on the guide and wrong days for things. It is pretty expensive at $30 per month, at least for me because I live on disability right now. The only thing that worries me, is that I have Verizon dsl and can't get the Internet if I cancell or can I? Do I need cable to still get the Internet? I have a modem. I would miss CNN, A&E and Lifetime. What to do?!
Not sure I understand. If you have Verizon DSL and Comcast cable, then your internet (from Verizon) is separate from your cable (from Comcast). So you could cancel cable without affecting internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living