U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:19 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,770,106 times

Advertisements

I havent had cable for a majority of my life, including the last year and a half, and I rarely miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 12:50 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,299,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Not sure I understand. If you have Verizon DSL and Comcast cable, then your internet (from Verizon) is separate from your cable (from Comcast). So you could cancel cable without affecting internet.
Thanks, that helps me a lot!

Old 08-20-2009, 02:34 PM

756 posts, read 1,673,940 times
I went without a TV for two years - TV broke and I just didn't care to have it. When I recently became a contracted worker and no-longer full time, I tried cutting the cable completely and my husband went catatonic. I got up in the middle of the night - the very first night and he was watching Tyra Banks show over air and it was static... It was so funny and he was about to cry and begging me to turn it back on.... We went with Direct TV and it was a substantial savings over Cable.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:43 PM

7,139 posts, read 12,899,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys View Post
I agree with some of the others on Comcast has to be the worst. Had a special for six months. Limited Basic and Showtime for $39.99.When the specail is over it is up to around $75.You don't even get all of the basic channels.
Most of the stuff shown at night is paid advertising, and yes we should be paid for them selling that to us.
I love how they say you get 150 -200 channels.Should home shopping, religous, community and music channels be counted, it is all just filer.
I also tried calling to see if Comcast would continue the special and they said no. They tried to sell me a bundle.
I hate cable, everyone should cancel.All of the other options DISH and Directtv want you to sign a two year contract, have a credit card, etc. I do not want to sign a contract. That is the only good thing about Comcast, no contract.
I also had Comcast. They didn't even wait 6 months to start billing me twice the amount, so had to call them on it. They wouldn't decrease my rate, so buh bye Comcast! Don't miss it at all. The very few programs I watched I can get on internet, and have DVDs of the shows I like already. Saves a bundle.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:51 AM

Comcast cable messed up again! My cable is fuzzy and a mess. I am cancelling it asap., Can you watch CNN Nancy Grace online?

Old 08-26-2009, 06:23 AM

34,630 posts, read 42,779,610 times
I fantasize about doing this, but I just can't pull the trigger. I did go down to the slowest internet connection, and I can't tell the difference.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:29 AM

8,957 posts, read 17,019,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Can you watch CNN Nancy Grace online?
Who would want to?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:43 AM

11 posts, read 53,444 times
I cancelled cable two years ago and my children's reading levels went from "below average" to off the charts. My 4th grader was reading on a 12th grade level. (Which is scary that our school district only expects HS seniors to read as well as my little 9 year old).

Turning off the cable leads to higher thinking. If you have children, cut it off. It's the best thing you can ever do for them and their futures.

Since then, I've actually had cable companies offering me FREE cable! (For a limited time only of course. Like I would EVER fall for that and get suckered in again.)

C

Old 08-26-2009, 10:25 AM

Well my cable just got cut off! I am glad to still be online. I still get some stations for some reason, but my picture is fine. I thought if you did not have cable you needed a converter box? My TV is relatively old too. I am surprised. They cut it off before I could pay it. I told them on the 28th! Oh well, now I can use that money for another bill!

Old 08-26-2009, 11:51 AM

4,970 posts, read 14,009,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsywoman View Post
... Can you watch cnn nancy grace online?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightwad View Post
who would want to?
lol lol lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living