U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 05:18 PM

936 posts, read 3,012,500 times

Advertisements

I've been meaning to call my cable company to negotiate a lower rate for their services. My bill was $125/month and included internet, cable, DVR feature, and I think one movie channel package. So I call them up and the customer service rep tells me she can give me the same thing for $85/month for 6 months and then it would go back up to their normal rate. To be honest I'd rather not have to worry about calling them every 6 months to get them to renew their offer. So I decided to cancel! I'm just tired of the games, gimmicks, and the ever rising costs of cable tv. If they cut out the gimmicks and charged a reasonable price I'd be more then happy to continue using their services.

I rarely watch tv, and use Netflix and Redbox for those times that I am in the mood for a movie. I use my cable modem alot but I also have a Verizon Wireless aircard that is more then adequate for my websurfing needs.

I am now cable free and $125/month richer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 11:43 PM

682 posts, read 1,827,183 times
Wow, $125 for cable. I bet it feels good to be that much richer. I hardly ever watch TV these days. I've thought about cancelling my cable (it's basic, so it's only about $11 on top of my internet bill). But, it seems worth $11 a month to me. If I could find an internet rate that was a lot cheaper without the cable, though, I think I'd be willing to give it up.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:34 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,732,891 times
Congrats!! We have thought about cancelling our cable, it would save us about $75/month. We watch so much tv though it would be a tough adjustment!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:37 AM

5,115 posts, read 9,411,192 times
Yeah, we only have basic cable @ $8.50/month. We mostly watch Netflix movies and read books.

TV has little that grabs my attention and it's addictive--already addicted to the internet..I find online info more informative and lively.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:21 AM

42,837 posts, read 77,102,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
I'm just tired of the games, gimmicks, and the ever rising costs of cable tv. If they cut out the gimmicks and charged a reasonable price I'd be more then happy to continue using their services.
I'm sick and tired of the gimmicks, too. You can't get anybody to tell you what the regular rate will be after the promotional BS for anything! My Internet and cable are with with one company and I still have a landline - with another provider. At some point I'd moved the phone to the cable company to get the "bundle"... It ended up costing more, so I took it back to the original phone company. I don't use the landline at all, but still can't work up the courage to have it cut for various reasons and out of habit as well, I suppose. A couple of months ago, though, I did say "no" to the caller ID. $9 for the caller ID alone?! I don't think so. I never pick this phone up anyway and nobody I care to hear from calls that number.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:31 AM

20,014 posts, read 20,504,984 times
Good for you Glen. I havent had cable for years. Its amazing how quickly you can adapt.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:33 AM

4,968 posts, read 13,993,226 times
I watch very few movies so cable suits my tv viewing perfectly. I've had a DVR for 2.5 years and I love it. Used a VCR for 25 years prior to record shows I watch so that I could watch them when it was convenient to my schedule. Not all cable shows are garbage. There are a shows out there where you can actually increase your knowledge of a certain topic. The home improvement shows, "How It's Made", and travel related shows are fun (and sometimes quite educational) to watch.

What I disagree with is the cost of equipment for each tv. There should be a centralized server somewhere in the house that feeds programming to all televisions and not room by room equipment.

I don't have a home computer so those bundle deals never apply to me.

I choose to spend my entertainment dollars on my cable bill.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 21 days ago)

9,058 posts, read 15,464,992 times
Congrats! I have went 5 years without cable and only watch a movie once a week. There are so many better things to do than sit on the couch and watch TV. I don't miss it one bit.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:37 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Congrats! I have went 5 years without cable and only watch a movie once a week. There are so many better things to do than sit on the couch and watch TV. I don't miss it one bit.
I went from 2002-2007 without cable or television. What was crazy was the number of REPEATS that I watched in 2008 that I had seen five years earlier.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 21 days ago)

9,058 posts, read 15,464,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I went from 2002-2007 without cable or television. What was crazy was the number of REPEATS that I watched in 2008 that I had seen five years earlier.
Oh yeah I see that when I hit the gym, people are still watching Seinfeld episodes I watched in 1997....

I do miss watching sports, but honestly sitting and watching a game for 2-3 hours seems like a lifetime to me now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living