U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2009, 09:48 PM
 
1,450 posts, read 3,706,134 times
Reputation: 962

Advertisements

The price of canned soup is outrageous! Last night I paid $1.22/can (8 oz condensed campbells) bean with bacon, and split pea. Used to be about 39 cents! At that price soup is a luxury item!

So, recipies for good soups I can make, perhaps in a crock pot, etc! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2009, 10:37 PM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,095 posts, read 12,740,520 times
Reputation: 14832
Here's some places to look:

Crockpot Soup Recipes

and

Crock Pot Cafeteria Line Recipes like Alphabet Soup, Baked Potato Soup, Barbecue Chicken Sandwich, Barbecued Beef Sandwich, Barley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 12:39 AM
 
Location: The mountians of Northern California.
1,354 posts, read 5,626,844 times
Reputation: 1270
I find alot of great recipes on All recipes – complete resource for recipes and cooking tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
7,091 posts, read 10,487,344 times
Reputation: 4104
I love soup...a crock pot, some smoked hog shanks/neck bones, a couple veggies and a bean/starch (lentils and barley are my 2 favorites) and you have yourself a tasty and filling meat feed 4 for like $3. Add a stick blender for $30 and you can make creamy soups without the cream. The dog won't even eat his dinner anymore if I have a pot going. Even if you just have a pot on the stove it's still great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 07:13 PM
 
3,825 posts, read 6,179,321 times
Reputation: 3868
I was looking to lose weight and a friend suggest the St. Mary's diet. This diet is based on cabbage soup and will provide weight loss but is not sustainable. From that I came up with a soup base that is delicious and can be altered in many ways to create different soups. It starts with a chicken base and I used one without MSG. You could also use a wonton base. I usually make about 2-3 cups at a time and don't use measurements except for the soup base on the package. To the chicken base I add shredded cabbage, green onions, and spinach. Simmer until everything is tender. This can now be beefed up a bit but adding boil chicken breast. I use what I have to change the recipe. Sometimes I use the chicken base with cabbage and mixed veggies.
I haven't made a soup I didn't like yet and the best part, it is cheap. The second best part, I am losing weight. Throw out the cookbook and give it a try. Cheap and good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 02:48 AM
 
1,450 posts, read 3,706,134 times
Reputation: 962
anyone have a recipie for cabbage and potato soup? My grtandmother's faavortie, she used salt pork, think she cooked in a pressure cooker. Mad a nice, thick, filling soup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 01:03 PM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,095 posts, read 12,740,520 times
Reputation: 14832
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
anyone have a recipie for cabbage and potato soup? My grtandmother's faavortie, she used salt pork, think she cooked in a pressure cooker. Mad a nice, thick, filling soup.
I have one for the stovetop, using smoked sausage (like Hillshire). You could probably substitute salt pork for the sausage.

POTATO AND CABBAGE SOUP

2 tbsp. butter
1 lb. smoked sausage
2 c. chopped celery and leaves
1 c. chopped fresh onion
5 c. water
4 c. shredded cabbage
2 c. sliced pared carrots
1 1/2 c. beef bouillon
2 tbsp. vinegar
1 tbsp. salt
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp. thyme
3 c. cubed, pared potatoes

In large kettle, melt butter. Add sausage, celery, and onion. Cook until celery and onion are tender. Drain grease off if you want, but you'll lose a lot of flavor. Add remaining ingredients, except potatoes. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Add potatoes; cover and cook 20 minutes more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 01:16 PM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,095 posts, read 12,740,520 times
Reputation: 14832
Default Mix and Match Soup

Here's one that will work for anyone - just use what you like

*Exported from MasterCook*
Mix And Match Soup
Serving Size : 8
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
=== BASE OR BROTH - Choose one ===
12 ounces tomato paste -- plus 2 cans tomatoes with juice - (16 oz ea) -- plus water to make 10 cups total
Or 10 cups chicken broth
Or 10 cups beef broth
Or 10 cups vegetable broth

=== PROTEIN - Choose one ===
2 cups meat beef or chicken (uncooked)
Or 1 cup diced ham
Or 3 cups cooked dried beans

=== GRAIN - Choose one or two ===
2 cups cooked rice
2 cups cooked barley
2 cups raw or partly-cooked pasta
2 cups lentils
2 cups corn (fresh, frozen or canned drained)
2 cups dumplings (about 16)

=== VEGETABLES - Choose 4 or more ===
1 cup carrot
1 cup celery
1 cup cabbage
1 cup onion
1 cup potato
1 cup tomato
1 cup green beans
1 cup turnip
1 cup parsnip
1 cup corn
1 cup zucchini
1 cup peas
1 cup frozen pea pods

=== SEASONINGS - Choose 2 to 4 seasonings to equal 4 Tablespoons ===
Basil
Chives
Cumin
Garlic
Marjoram
Oregano
Parsley
Rosemary
Thyme
1 dash Cayenne - or as hot as you like

To Prepare Soup on stove: Bring stock to boil in large stock pot or Dutch oven. Add all ingredients; salt and pepper to taste; reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.

Crock pot: Your grain choice should be uncooked if you are using the crock pot. Bring stock to boil in large stock pot or Dutch oven. Pour boiling stock and other ingredients into Crock pot and simmer 8 hours on LOW setting.

This recipe yields 8 servings.

Source:
"Waldine Van Geffen on Eguide (http://www.prodigy.net - broken link) Food BB"
"10-26-1999 by Joe Comiskey"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nutritional Values Per Serving: Depends on what you choose!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 02:30 PM
 
1,450 posts, read 3,706,134 times
Reputation: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Here's one that will work for anyone - just use what you like

*Exported from MasterCook*
Mix And Match Soup
Serving Size : 8
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
=== BASE OR BROTH - Choose one ===
12 ounces tomato paste -- plus 2 cans tomatoes with juice - (16 oz ea) -- plus water to make 10 cups total
Or 10 cups chicken broth
Or 10 cups beef broth
Or 10 cups vegetable broth

=== PROTEIN - Choose one ===
2 cups meat beef or chicken (uncooked)
Or 1 cup diced ham
Or 3 cups cooked dried beans

=== GRAIN - Choose one or two ===
2 cups cooked rice
2 cups cooked barley
2 cups raw or partly-cooked pasta
2 cups lentils
2 cups corn (fresh, frozen or canned drained)
2 cups dumplings (about 16)

=== VEGETABLES - Choose 4 or more ===
1 cup carrot
1 cup celery
1 cup cabbage
1 cup onion
1 cup potato
1 cup tomato
1 cup green beans
1 cup turnip
1 cup parsnip
1 cup corn
1 cup zucchini
1 cup peas
1 cup frozen pea pods

=== SEASONINGS - Choose 2 to 4 seasonings to equal 4 Tablespoons ===
Basil
Chives
Cumin
Garlic
Marjoram
Oregano
Parsley
Rosemary
Thyme
1 dash Cayenne - or as hot as you like

To Prepare Soup on stove: Bring stock to boil in large stock pot or Dutch oven. Add all ingredients; salt and pepper to taste; reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.

Crock pot: Your grain choice should be uncooked if you are using the crock pot. Bring stock to boil in large stock pot or Dutch oven. Pour boiling stock and other ingredients into Crock pot and simmer 8 hours on LOW setting.

This recipe yields 8 servings.

Source:
"Waldine Van Geffen on Eguide (http://www.prodigy.net - broken link) Food BB"
"10-26-1999 by Joe Comiskey"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nutritional Values Per Serving: Depends on what you choose!

Great basic recipe, can use leftovers, whatever's on hand! I now need to invest in a good soup pot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 04:10 PM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,095 posts, read 12,740,520 times
Reputation: 14832
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Great basic recipe, can use leftovers, whatever's on hand! I now need to invest in a good soup pot!
Thrift store
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top