U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 02:23 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,707,976 times

Advertisements

I used to shop in bulk from Costco, thought I was saving a lot of money, on a per unit basis I was getting bargains! But, it doesn't work out that way. I found when you buy in quantity, you waste in quantity, especially with teenagers. They go through things like water, use up 3/4 of a package, toss it and open a new one!

I've tried everything, but can't control their wasteful habits. Also, I find I don't always cook the way I planned, recently went through the pantry and freezer, threw out a ton of expired stuff. now I'm starting over, with an updated pantry & freezer. I plan to shop every Sunday, use newspaper ads and coupons, just get what I need for the week. I will chase down sales & coupons for staples, like toothpaste, etc.

Its already working, I've budgeted an amount per week, cash only, no debit card to go over the budget, last night they were hungry, told them to fix whatever leftovers they could find, don't tell me there's nothing to eat, just not what they wanted. They ended up with a hodge podge of food, but we didn't go out to a fast food place, no one starved, they got creative with what they had, and I'm sticking to my budget!

So, do you find it better to stock up, or just buy per week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 02:27 PM

I still shop Costco for some bulk items, cat food, laundry detergent, dishwasher soap, freezer bags, paper plates (to feed cats), and I like their mineral makeup, its the same as Bare Minerals, a fraction of the price, also, their brand of Prilosec, about 1/4 the price in a drugstore, I shop about once/month for those staples, also, lunch meat is about 1/2 price of Krogers, it freezes well, and bulk cheese freezes well. But I keep my Costco trips down to every 6 weeks, that's it.

I usually blow what I saved at their snack bar, love their pizza!

Old 08-16-2009, 04:07 PM

8,095 posts, read 12,750,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
I used to shop in bulk from Costco, thought I was saving a lot of money, on a per unit basis I was getting bargains! But, it doesn't work out that way. I found when you buy in quantity, you waste in quantity, especially with teenagers. They go through things like water, use up 3/4 of a package, toss it and open a new one!

I've tried everything, but can't control their wasteful habits. Also, I find I don't always cook the way I planned, recently went through the pantry and freezer, threw out a ton of expired stuff. now I'm starting over, with an updated pantry & freezer. I plan to shop every Sunday, use newspaper ads and coupons, just get what I need for the week. I will chase down sales & coupons for staples, like toothpaste, etc.

Its already working, I've budgeted an amount per week, cash only, no debit card to go over the budget, last night they were hungry, told them to fix whatever leftovers they could find, don't tell me there's nothing to eat, just not what they wanted. They ended up with a hodge podge of food, but we didn't go out to a fast food place, no one starved, they got creative with what they had, and I'm sticking to my budget!

So, do you find it better to stock up, or just buy per week?
Both actually.
*If* there is something on sale in the weekly flyer that I need, I go shopping.
*If* it's something that doesn't go bad, I stock up.

Otherwise, I don't go shopping.

Can I ask - what expired things did you throw away? I have meat and vegetables and cheese and bread in the freezer bought months ago. I have cans in the pantry bought months ago. Most Sell By or Use By dates are useless, except on dairy.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:23 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,582,247 times
I know exactly what you mean about teens who will eat and waste anything in the house. My youngest are 18 and 19. The 19 yr old has a baby. Sometimes they live with me and sometimes they live elsewhere. When they are living at home, like now, I can only shop weekly. I also post a MENU of sorts on the fridge of what is available for lunch, dinner and then a list of snacks. If I don't do that, everything would be gone.

I love them....but I sure will be glad when they manage to find steady work.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:39 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,653,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I know exactly what you mean about teens who will eat and waste anything in the house. My youngest are 18 and 19. The 19 yr old has a baby. Sometimes they live with me and sometimes they live elsewhere. When they are living at home, like now, I can only shop weekly. I also post a MENU of sorts on the fridge of what is available for lunch, dinner and then a list of snacks. If I don't do that, everything would be gone.

I love them....but I sure will be glad when they manage to find steady work.
You are facilitating their bad behavior and deluding yourself if you think that it will stop while you continue to facilitate. If you love them, you'll stop making it easy for them to behave like slugs. Try shopping every few days and do not keep food in the house for the benefit of the freeloaders.

Gads of studies show that as long as the freebies remain available, there is little motivation to find work and be self-sufficient. We will have the same problem if unemployment insurance is extended further--the unemployed will continue to delude themselves with ideas of returning to the former status quo, rather than accepting change and retraining/relocating and recalibrating their expectations.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:43 PM

3,628 posts, read 9,028,730 times
don't feed your teenagers if they don't pay you rent!

Old 08-16-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
You are facilitating their bad behavior and deluding yourself if you think that it will stop while you continue to facilitate. If you love them, you'll stop making it easy for them to behave like slugs. Try shopping every few days and do not keep food in the house for the benefit of the freeloaders.

Gads of studies show that as long as the freebies remain available, there is little motivation to find work and be self-sufficient. We will have the same problem if unemployment insurance is extended further--the unemployed will continue to delude themselves with ideas of returning to the former status quo, rather than accepting change and retraining/relocating and recalibrating their expectations.

Good advice! Except my kids are 12 & 13, too young to get employment. But I'm sick of them nuking a week's worth of food in a day, half in the trashk, open a bag of ships, eat half, leave the rest open and goes stale, half-eaten things of yougurt, bits and pieces of uneaten food all over the house, then they constantly complain they're hungry and there's nothing to eat, well, they ate half and destroyed the rest.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:48 PM

1,889 posts, read 6,989,955 times
Regular grocery shopping is wasteful to me! LOL I'm single (nothing comes in single servings so I inadvertently waste food). I only shop once a month. Hardly ever bulk shop. But in your case, I would save the bulk shopping for inedible consumables like toothpaste, t.p., papertowels, cleaning products. Like another poster said, try witholding the 'free goodies' and let your family adjust to this for a period of time. I do think it's worth it to buy those other items in bulk- I do this for myself and I've done it since I was in college. I definitely wouldn't stock up on food but it's worth it for everything else.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:51 PM

I do collect coupons, then match them up with weekly flyers, stock up on deals, such as toothpaste, soap, etc, but my kids get into my supplies, throw away a half used tube of toothpaste and grab a new one, said the old one is "gross". I find if its there, they use it. Now I make them get the last smidge out of that tube of toothpaste, like I do, cut it in half, dig out what's left in the tube, then I buy more, use up what you've got first.

Same with food, they can sure waste food, I had a pan with clam chowder soup, canned soup, three big cans on stove, my daughter ate one serving, then before I could stop her she just poured the rest down the disposal, said she needed to wash to pot. hey, that was about $7 worth of soup she just poured down the drain because she was now through with it.cover it and put it in the fridge, that could have been many more servings. Best to buy single serving cans since that's all they will eat, won't store any leftovers.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:52 PM

1,889 posts, read 6,989,955 times
One more thing- set up some 'rules' like not opening up another bottle of juice until the first is finished or, when you're shopping, they can only pick one kind snack instead of 3 different kinds. Not sure if it'll work but who knows...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or