U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 03:19 PM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,096 posts, read 1,830,969 times

Advertisements

Most habits take a while to learn (3 weeks I believe I read), I have found that being frugal an on going process, I'm not sure if we ever "get there" (whatever that may mean)

I was in a conversation about grocery bills.
It surprised me that people purchase trash bags. I use the ones they put my groceries in (and I still have quite a surplus.) I don't remember the last time I bought trash bags.
I was surprised how many trips people make to the grocery store. I go shopping once a month/6 weeks.

I don't think about the two things I've listed above, so I guess they are a habit now.

Are there things you have changed, that you don't think about anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 03:47 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
It surprised me that people purchase trash bags. I use the ones they put my groceries in (and I still have quite a surplus.) I don't remember the last time I bought trash bags.
I buy trash bags because I need certain ones. I do not get grocery bags at all... they are too small to reuse for my purposes.

Quote:
I was surprised how many trips people make to the grocery store. I go shopping once a month/6 weeks.
Buying fresh vegetables and fruit once every 4 to 6 weeks would not work for me. It would be too wasteful to throw away all that would spoil within that time. I need to shop for them weekly.

We are all different. What works for you won't work for everyone....

Old 08-24-2009, 05:05 PM

2,480 posts, read 4,548,010 times
Totally with you.
Grocery bags are way too small. Plus you need a few as they are very thin. I only use them in the bathroom garbage cans.

I also need to shop weekly for fruit and some vegetables. Yes, there are some that I buy frozen. But there are some fresh that would not last a week and I would not buy frozen or canned. Most I would never buy canned because of the high sodium plus they don't taste the same.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:32 PM

Okay, we are missing the point of my post. I don't care if someone uses store bought trash bags or not, or how many times they go to the store...my point was that it surprised me because I was out of the habit of doing that.

The question posed was have you made a change in your life that is now such a habit that you don't think about it.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:42 PM

458 posts, read 1,447,098 times
I think the trash bag thing keeps coming up because in the original post it sounded almost like you were saying "those who buy trash bags aren't frugal".

Old 08-24-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriwx View Post
I think the trash bag thing keeps coming up because in the original post it sounded almost like you were saying "those who buy trash bags aren't frugal".

That was NOT my intent.

It was a self realization post, NOT a judgemental post.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:03 AM

5,115 posts, read 9,413,466 times
We've become accustomed to sharing one car between us. It took some getting used to and accommodation.

Like last night.

I had a girl-friend pot luck to go to. My DH had another event to attend in a neighboring town. I rode my bike to my friend's house. And as it was dark by the time my pot-luck ended (no lights on bike, thinking of getting some), my DH came and picked me up after his event ended and I left the bike at my friend's house and got a lift to pick it up this AM.

We figured all this out easily and without any whining of "But I need the car." As I said, it took getting used to but works smoothly now...

And we're saving a bunch of money on insurance, registration, maintenance and repairs...plus we both really like bicycling around town.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:12 AM

4,851 posts, read 8,319,922 times
Smile Frugal habits

I started on Weight Watchers and am getting used to the smaller portions. I noticed a box of Special K now lasts me over a week; it used to last me 4 days so that's my small savings.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:43 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,872,713 times
Quote:
Most habits take a while to learn (3 weeks I believe I read), I have found that being frugal an on going process, I'm not sure if we ever "get there" (whatever that may mean)

I was in a conversation about grocery bills.

I don't think about the two things I've listed above, so I guess they are a habit now.

Are there things you have changed, that you don't think about anymore?
May be a frugal habit for you, but necessity and definitely not surprising for some. With two growing kids we have to get grocery weekly, for fresh milk and produce. We would also use up so many little grocery bags if we were to use them as trash bags. We also use cloth bags at the grocery store, never really get little plastic bags much anymore. My MIL does the grocery bags thing but that's feasible since it's pretty easy to do that as a single person.

Regarding things I don't think about... I don't flush all night until leaving for work in the morning, unless I think it'll perhaps get clogged. Usually feces don't smell after a while when you get used to it.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:10 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,433,041 times
Lifestyle changes/habits....good thread to start.

Cut out drinking sodas at home for the most part. I used to go through a lot of diet soda. Now I make gallons of tea and drink lots more water (we just moved to the country and have well water). Better for me, my weight and the environment.

I don't go to the mall but maybe 3 or 4 times per year. I do, however, go to TJ Maxx and Marshalls once per month on average. Just by reducing my shopping trips, shopping discount retailers and consignment shops, I have saved tons of $$ since I started doing this. It is one of those things that has become habit.... Just yesterday, I knew that I needed to look for a couple of new biz suits for Fall/Winter. I went to a doctor's appt with my best friend and we passed a consignment shop. We stopped and I found two WONDERFUL suits - one Ann Taylor and one J Crew.... one was $31 and one was $19. They were dry cleaned, in perfectly new condition and very much new and in style. EAch of these suits would have cost between $250 - $350 new so I saved about $700. I used to buy new stuff from both stores so this is definitely a positive change for me.

Packing up leftovers when we have restaurant meals and eating for lunch the next day. It used to embarrass my husband but he has come to see how my frugality has paid off for us.

When we vacation or work out of town, we get a styrofoam ice chest and buy food at the local grocery store instead of ordering room service or eating in the expensive hotel restaurant. We usually go out for dinner but snacks and lunch we eat from our "stash". We even did this at the Four Seasons in Palm Beach while there on business (company assigned rooming--we'd never just select a Four Seasons or Ritz without a justifiable discount/reason). We were able to save on our per diem food allocations to use for other things!

These are just a few of mine.....I'm looking forward to reading y'alls. This is an excellent thread....rep to you for starting it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or