U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:46 AM

3,460 posts, read 4,792,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I can try and call but it probably won't work
It's easy as long as you understand how they work.

The first thing you need to remember is that the cable companies are really hurting these days because people are either cutting back or just not paying their bills. A few years ago they had all the business they could handle and losing a customer didn't matter as much, but now the tables have turned and they're eager to keep their good customers.

If you spend half an hour looking at all your options and calling other providers to ask what promotions they're running to get you to switch, you'll have all the ammunition you need to get your current provider to give you their best deal.

When you call customer service, don't bother negotiating with the first person you talk to. Ask to speak to somebody in customer retention, because they're the ones with the authority to bend the rules to keep you happy. Once you get the right person on the line, all you have to do is explain that you're happy with their service and would like to keep using them but you're considering switching to their competitor because they're offering a better deal. More often than not, they'll be willing to match the best price you can find.

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 09-02-2009 at 01:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 07:34 AM

7,091 posts, read 10,490,270 times
It all depends what the activity is. All work and no play is tough, but doing cheaper alternatives is better.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:37 AM

24,671 posts, read 55,592,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
If you have to slash and burn your budget down to the bone, you have to find frugal enjoyments.

And a library is a PERFECT example of that. I told a co-worker who was in the throes of a bad financial melt down to cancel cable and internet and use the library -- she could get books, DVDs and free internet access there. With all the money she could save she could go to the library a couple of times a week and hit their little cafe for a Starbucks like coffee treat and still come out way ahead of the game....
Very good point. The OP would shudder at such a solution, though, as he apparently doesn't really venture outside his abode except to go to work. I think, too, that several coffee shops have branched out now to include not only wireless internet access but DVDs, etc.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:42 AM

756 posts, read 1,673,315 times
No, you can be frugal with entertainment. I called my cable company to cancel because the took basic down to some 30 odd channels with no sports (which my husband cannot live without.) I was paying $130.00 per month for cable and internet through them. They offered to drop the price immediately to 80.00 per month - but, again with no sports. I went with Direct TV and got a years' contract at $40.00 per month with sports. HD would be another $5.00 a month-which husband bumped us to without my knowledge.

So now, we may $80.00 per month where we use to pay $130.00.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:23 AM

17,749 posts, read 15,031,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
We all know that Entertainment is what allows us to escape reality which can be Cable TV, DVD's, and the Internet.

So I don't mind paying $67 a month for Internet or $100 a month for cable because at the end of the day once we get home from a job and finish paying rent and electric and gas, what are we supposed to do? Nothing? So I believe being Frugual is good when it comes to

Food
Personal Needs
Medicine
Clothes

Defintely not entertainment. Anyone Agree?
Hi TVandSportsGuy,

Not about the food. It is very entertaining.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:02 AM

124 posts, read 414,769 times
We went through a short period of a few months where we had to live on an extremely tight budget in which there was absolutely no room for cable. At first we also didn't have internet access, but since my husband's job requires remotely accessing servers, and having to commute to work during off hours to do so really sucked. So after a trial month of nothing fun at all, we managed to squeeze in the internet.

However, we still couldn't get cable for a few months, and when we were finally able to get it, it was only basic. We didn't go to movies, buy or rent dvds, eat out etc. Despite the fact that we all hated this, especially the teenager, that was how it was. There was no room in the budget for these things without sacrificing real needs. Food, clothing (from thrift stores only) paying the electric/water bills, rent, mortgage (the source of our fix was a relocation and our house did not sell in time, therefore two bills for living quarters) car payments and other bills left us with nothing extra, because any "extra" was then put into our food budget so we could have more meat or fish for a change, or one of the kids could get a new pair of shoes.

That said, there were plenty of low cost options to supplement our entertainments. As mentioned above, the library was a godsend. Internet access for all of us, including free wireless so my husband and I could bring our laptops, while the teenager used their computers. Lots of DVDs to borrow, maybe not all the latest movies, but certainly plenty we hadn't watched yet, or wanted to rewatch. And books-- we're all readers, and boy did we read a lot in those months!

We also took advantage of other free activities like going to the beach and community supported events like the Picture in the Park-- outdoor movie screenings, usually kid flicks, at very low cost or free. There are plenty of freebie or low cost options out there, if you are willing to leave your couch.

Of course people have different reasons for being frugal, sometimes it's a decision to live more simply in which case you can pick and choose what you want to skimp on and what you want to splurge on, but a lot of people go frugal because they have to, in which case entertainment should be very high on the list of things that get cut. When it's a choice between paying your bills at all and having cable, the bills should win.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:26 PM

24,671 posts, read 55,592,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
There are plenty of freebie or low cost options out there, if you are willing to leave your couch.
And that says it all particularly in the case of this particular OP!

Old 09-02-2009, 03:38 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 48,416,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
If you have to slash and burn your budget down to the bone, you have to find frugal enjoyments.

And a library is a PERFECT example of that. I told a co-worker who was in the throes of a bad financial melt down to cancel cable and internet and use the library -- she could get books, DVDs and free internet access there. With all the money she could save she could go to the library a couple of times a week and hit their little cafe for a Starbucks like coffee treat and still come out way ahead of the game....

If you are a Internet Addict the Library would not be a good idea.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:41 PM

Ok I will try and see if I can get the Cable lowered right now. I'm calling Comcast

Last edited by Beretta; 01-12-2010 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: quoted post was deleted

Old 09-02-2009, 04:02 PM

Ok I called Comcast and was able to get by bill lowered from $150 to $104

They made some adjustments to the sports package but couldn't make any to the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or