U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 08:28 PM

8,998 posts, read 12,761,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
We all know that Entertainment is what allows us to escape reality which can be Cable TV, DVD's, and the Internet.

So I don't mind paying $67 a month for Internet or $100 a month for cable because at the end of the day once we get home from a job and finish paying rent and electric and gas, what are we supposed to do? Nothing? So I believe being Frugual is good when it comes to

Food
Personal Needs
Medicine
Clothes

Defintely not entertainment. Anyone Agree?
I am going to the movies less and when I go to the full price movies, I try to go at the matinee times.
There is a dollar movie not too far from my house and I plan on going there more often.

We have been without cable for months now and I honestly don't miss it.
I rent a lot of movies from the library. I plan on getting Netflix back to get movies the library doesn't get.

I refuse to cut down on my internet. I want to find a good internet provider that doesn't require a home phone. We HARDLY use our home phone. It's such a waste of money. However, we have to have the home phone for the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 07:46 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
$8 a month in gas to go to the library 20 times. $1.50/hour parking, since our library is downtown so we have to park in the ramps. Lets say 2 hours a day, for husband and I to check email and find a couple of books and movies. That's $60 to park.
That's really scary. I live in a city about the same size as Rochester, and I don't think there is a pay parking space anywhere in the city, and maybe not even any meters. Library is a couple blocks from the court house, with a big free parking lot, and if necessary, on street no problem. I walk about 4 blocks to the library several times a week. Can you find a free parking space within several blocks of your library?

Maybe urban sprawl and dying downtowns is not such a bad idea, after all, since you also need to drive everywhere in Rochester, and pay dearly for the privilege.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:48 AM

34,544 posts, read 42,708,506 times
I second what others are saying...you are getting ripped off on your internet charge. It should not be more than $39. or less.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:03 AM

2,373 posts, read 5,238,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That's really scary. I live in a city about the same size as Rochester, and I don't think there is a pay parking space anywhere in the city, and maybe not even any meters. Library is a couple blocks from the court house, with a big free parking lot, and if necessary, on street no problem. I walk about 4 blocks to the library several times a week. Can you find a free parking space within several blocks of your library?

Maybe urban sprawl and dying downtowns is not such a bad idea, after all, since you also need to drive everywhere in Rochester, and pay dearly for the privilege.
Nope, even the courthouse, 1 1/2 blocks away has metered parking. I suppose I could see if the gas station manager minded if we parked there, 3 city blocks away, but that particular gas station has a lot of vandalism and car break ins.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:09 AM

2,373 posts, read 5,238,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
The lib is great but why do you need to go 20 times a month? My lib lets you check out 5 each or DVDs or VHS for a week, 2 weeks if no one else has requested them. Books are for several weeks and the limit is crazy high, like 20-30 at a time. Also, doesn't your lib have a website to browse, request and manage your items? You should be able to get/take back everything you need with only 4 trips a month.

I'm not saying dropping cable would be best for you, but you shouldn't have to choose between cable and the lib.

Also, in response to several posts here, I would propose internet access is VERY important to the frugal. It may already pay for itself thru savings on postage and long distance alone. Add in online coupons and offers, the ability to find and purchase items for less than you can in your area, free entertainment sites, and the ability to easily and quickly research any topic you need to, and get advice from sites like this. Also, with the ability to sell items yourself thru sites like ebaY, Craigslist and others and you could be MAKING money!
Right now I'm unemployed so job searching and also college homework would require at least 20 times a month, for internet usage. Of course that is only if I dropped my internet.

Every morning when I wake up, I check the job boards and then find aprox 15-20 company websites that are located here in Rochester. I check their jobs link, print off an application and fill it out. Then I get into my "interview" clothes and go to these companies and drop off the application into the hands of a manager or assistant manager and get their name and number. Then I come home and do my homework, clean the house, play for a bit on CD, cook dinner and other such stuff.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:19 AM

3,864 posts, read 7,065,671 times
Entertainment is something I don't spend a lot on.

I spend about $35 on internet and $35 on digital basic cable (which I barely watch these days). The hubby and I spend a good chucnk of time online, playing games, chatting, downloading music etc. We also have a Netflix account and rent our movies (and usually burning a DVD copy for ourselves).

With friends, its often movies nights and game nights where every one brings agame, plays Xbox or Rock Band and brings snacks over someone's house. Very low key, chill and relaxed.

I haven't been to a bar, happy hour or pricey outing in a few months. Too cold and Ijust don't have the interest. Come summertime, however and that will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or