U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 04:52 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 48,395,895 times

Advertisements

We all know that Entertainment is what allows us to escape reality which can be Cable TV, DVD's, and the Internet.

So I don't mind paying $67 a month for Internet or $100 a month for cable because at the end of the day once we get home from a job and finish paying rent and electric and gas, what are we supposed to do? Nothing? So I believe being Frugual is good when it comes to

Food
Personal Needs
Medicine
Clothes

Defintely not entertainment. Anyone Agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 05:47 PM

458 posts, read 1,447,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
We all know that Entertainment is what allows us to escape reality which can be Cable TV, DVD's, and the Internet.

So I don't mind paying $67 a month for Internet or $100 a month for cable because at the end of the day once we get home from a job and finish paying rent and electric and gas, what are we supposed to do? Nothing? So I believe being Frugual is good when it comes to

Food
Personal Needs
Medicine
Clothes

Defintely not entertainment. Anyone Agree?
You're asking if we think it is unnecessary to be frugal concerning entertainment?

Frugality is good for the things you listed, and entertainment as well. There are lots of things you can do that don't involve cable or the internet. You can read library books, hike, play cards, socialize...etc. If one wants to be frugal and not spend much money on entertainment, they can.

If entertainment is the most important thing to you to splurge on, go ahead. Some people think being well clothed is worth not being frugal. It's a matter of personal priority. And if it's worth the money to you, then it's perfectly fine to do that.

So my final answer is: Entertainment is just like the other categories you listed, no different. You can choose to spend more or less on any of them. But it is possible to have just as much "entertainment" inexpensively. And there are plenty of things to do without having cable and the internet.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriwx View Post
You're asking if we think it is unnecessary to be frugal concerning entertainment?

Frugality is good for the things you listed, and entertainment as well. There are lots of things you can do that don't involve cable or the internet. You can read library books, hike, play cards, socialize...etc. If one wants to be frugal and not spend much money on entertainment, they can.

If entertainment is the most important thing to you to splurge on, go ahead. Some people think being well clothed is worth not being frugal. It's a matter of personal priority. And if it's worth the money to you, then it's perfectly fine to do that.

So my final answer is: Entertainment is just like the other categories you listed, no different. You can choose to spend more or less on any of them. But it is possible to have just as much "entertainment" inexpensively. And there are plenty of things to do without having cable and the internet.

Yeah you make a good point. Everytime I hear someone say they got rid of cable because they can't afford it I laugh because what they really mean is-"it's not important to me"

Old 09-01-2009, 05:56 PM

31,573 posts, read 12,707,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Yeah you make a good point. Everytime I hear someone say they got rid of cable because they can't afford it I laugh because what they really mean is-"it's not important to me"
No, I think sometimes you really can't afford it. I have thought about it, so you give up other things. It doesn't mean it's not important to them. Phone and internet and cable are seemingly luxuries now for some people.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
No, I think sometimes you really can't afford it. I have thought about it, so you give up other things. It doesn't mean it's not important to them. Phone and internet and cable are seemingly luxuries now for some people.

People usually find ways to afford something they love

Old 09-01-2009, 07:42 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,790,435 times
There's ways to be frugal without giving up the things you love.

I shopped around and then told my provider that I'd be moving my service if they couldn't give me a good programming package, a fast connection, and unlimited long distance for less than $100 a month. $170/month just for cable and internet seems a bit high...

Old 09-01-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
There's ways to be frugal without giving up the things you love.

I shopped around and then told my provider that I'd be moving my service if they couldn't give me a good programming package, a fast connection, and unlimited long distance for less than $100 a month. $170/month just for cable and internet seems a bit high...

I can try and call but it probably won't work

Old 09-01-2009, 07:53 PM

2,034 posts, read 3,529,726 times
my high speed internet is $30/month and my DISH service is $50.

I think it is awfully high but I can afford it.

Can't imagine paying as much as you are!

Old 09-01-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
my high speed internet is $30/month and my DISH service is $50.

I think it is awfully high but I can afford it.

Can't imagine paying as much as you are!
The Dish Network is a generic cable provider so I'm not surprised that the cost is low

Old 09-01-2009, 11:58 PM

11,429 posts, read 19,438,504 times
If you have to slash and burn your budget down to the bone, you have to find frugal enjoyments.

And a library is a PERFECT example of that. I told a co-worker who was in the throes of a bad financial melt down to cancel cable and internet and use the library -- she could get books, DVDs and free internet access there. With all the money she could save she could go to the library a couple of times a week and hit their little cafe for a Starbucks like coffee treat and still come out way ahead of the game....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or