U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:33 PM

11,427 posts, read 19,438,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
Well maybe he should be but he's not. He works hard and he doesn't go out to bars with friends, or strip clubs or other crap like that so I won't begrudge him his satellite (it would only boil down to saving $25 or so a month at this rate). Also, I never said we were cutting out food, just looking at best ways to save on what we already buy, coupons, etc. Anyways I appreciate the advice so let's just say minus that one luxury (and not cutting down on actual quality or quantity of food - except in my case where I need to lose weight anyway). Any other tips from people would be great.

Thanks again!
Look around -- there has to be some stuff that you don't want or need anymore -- look at trying to sell them on Craiglist or EBay. If you're near a Half Price books -- they take your old books and give you a good price for them. And cds and DVDs....

You need to think about the costs of getting some of that stuff down there to FL... and right now you're not pressured to dump and run.... so selling it is good idea.

As far as food -- it sounds like you're already following the basics there.

A good one for saving $ on electric bills -- don't keep your chargers plugged in all the time or anything with a large power pack plug. Those are always on eating up a little energy all the time.... and the more you have the more "little energies" get eaten... and comes out of your wallet.
You might also was to unplug the TV and DVD players when you're out of the house if they have an "instant on" feature. As in -- if you turn on your tv and it pops on -- it's eating energy. If you turn it on and it takes a tiny little bit of time to come on -- it shouldn't eat energy.

Switch to those coiled screw in compact fluoescent bulbs. They save LOTS of energy.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 08:15 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,836,929 times
All good ideas, thanks everyone. Yes I could definitely start going through all our things...like we really don't need three different sets of dishes when there are only three of us here. And the remote controlled race set my husband bought for him and my son two Christmases ago for $200 (the really nice kind with the hand held remotes or whatever they are) that has been used twice(?!?) I told him to gather up all the parts to make sure everything's together and figure out a good asking price because that's going. Don't get me started on how many toys my son has that he doesn't play with (maybe some of you all with only one kid know what I'm talking about) but at any rate, he certainly doesn't play with all of them and I do not want to lug all those toys down to FL. (I don't necessarily have to sell those but I will at least be donating much of it before we go).

I will definitely start going through all our stuff each weekend from here on out for a while so as to not have to do everything at once. I need to find those ladies I've heard about that are so savvy with coupons that the grocery store ends up paying them money at the end of the shopping trip.

At any rate, I'm thinking of cancelling our home phone line too. We basically pay $50/month for telemarketers to call, it's getting quite annoying. The only thing is I'm worried about if we have to call 911 from our cell phone if something can be screwed up and the call not go where it's actually supposed to go, etc.

Also husband is looking into getting a part-time along with his full-time job, obviously that would help.

Thanks again!

Old 09-04-2009, 06:06 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,468,097 times
To the OP:

You mentioned "coupons" several times.
Just be sure you do the math. Coupons are often for pre-packaged, processed food from national name-brands.

Be sure to check out a)store brands and b) cooking from scratch.

Both could save you money. Cooking from scratch could also help your waistline and cut your medical bills in the long run.

Good luck and best wishes.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:47 PM

Thank you I have lately been buying the Wal-mart and Food Lion store brands more and they taste pretty much the same to us. I could be a lot better about cooking from scratch versus buying frozen stuff, etc...

Old 09-05-2009, 06:34 AM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
boy, you guys are good!!! we (the country) wouldnt be in this debt mess, if everyone followed your advice, good job!!

look at "cost per serving" when planning meals, you can still eat well, as long as you hit the sales
for example, buy bone in chicken thighs when they are on sale, they are cheap!! you can cook them 20 different ways and they are delicious!!
also if you buy burger, look to see what the meat department has on for a loss leader, say they have bnls chuck roasts on for 1.89 lb, ring the bell ask the meatcutter to grind it,,(theyll do it for free)
and it will come out just as good as thier burger 1.50 more per lb when whole chickens are on sale, ask them to cut them up, same with fresh turkeys, ask them to cut them up package the parts separately
(a must around thanksgiving, many stores sell turkeys below thier cost) yes they are frozen, but i buy many to put in the freezer, also cut up myself

again, cost per serving, eggs are cheap, so is bread (on sale) french toast is cheap to prepare

skip the soda, drink water, dont buy it!!!

when trimming down on a household budget , You need to set the example/tone, you have to be more disciplined, why?? if you dont follow your own rules no one else will, and if they see empty containers of gourmet coffees, /ice cream/ or think you are not following your own advice....they wont either

Old 09-05-2009, 02:45 PM

5,210 posts, read 8,807,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
Thank you I have lately been buying the Wal-mart and Food Lion store brands more and they taste pretty much the same to us. I could be a lot better about cooking from scratch versus buying frozen stuff, etc...
I've been trying to cook from scratch more often (trying to eat healthier).

Instead of using prepackaged side dishes (like Kraft Mac and Cheese), I've been buying bulk packages of whole wheat noodles and making my own creations - I'll boil the noodles and then toss them with olive oil and some pepper, garlic powder and a little bit of parmesan cheese. Or I'll toss the noodles in low fat/low sodium Italian Dressing or reduced sodium soy sauce and add in some veggies.

I suppose it isn't totally from scratch since I don't actually make the noodles myself, but it is healthier than the prepackaged stuff and it saves us a little money on the food bill..

Old 09-07-2009, 03:05 PM

110 posts, read 149,435 times
cash4books.net and secondspin.com buy used books and cds/dvds/video games...you just type in the ISBN or the UPC & it will tell you how much they will pay you for it.

couponsuzy.com has a bunch of coupons you can print out for free. there are other coupon sites too but i like this one.

go through the grocery store circulars and go where the sales are. if it's not on sale, i don't generally buy it. what i need is usually on sale somewhere and if its not i'll find a coupon. and be sure to sign up for the free store card which will also save you money, it only takes a minute to sign up.

get the cheapest most basic cell phone plan.

turn off electronics when not in use, change to energy saving bulbs, unplug appliances when you don't use them, etc.

don't use any credit cards, ever, for anything. if you can't buy it with the money you have you don't need it.

no new clothes, no going out for dinner, no "i'll just treat myself this one time"....

best of luck with your plans to move

Old 09-07-2009, 03:44 PM

Thank you for your advice!

Old 09-07-2009, 11:04 PM

137 posts, read 407,727 times
Ok so you have 8 months until you want to move.

Figure out the exact cost to move (pad it a tiny bit) and then divide that number by 8 and THAT is the amount you need to cut out each month from your budget.

Then you put all of your needs and wants on a list and start figuring out which have to go first.

Good luck!

Old 09-08-2009, 12:45 PM

9,316 posts, read 17,951,460 times
If you make a budget you can see where your expenses are and it will be obvious which ones could use a trim. Every year or so we make a new budget since they change over time. Making out a budget was one method we used to get out of debt and start saving.

The other helpful thing was to have the direct deposit paycheck go into savings first with a portion of it sent over to the checking account. Now, even if the checking account is flat, there is still money in savings. We used to try to put the extra after the checks were written into savings, but there never was any extra. By doing the savings first, it just sits and grows without us having to do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living