U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:48 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,839,245 times

Advertisements

Okay minus the satellite 'cause I don't want to hear my husband b&$!@ and moan about it (and he would/already has-but at least it's the basic package)...but at any rate...

I need to cut down to bare bones from here until the end of April when our lease runs out (and we want to try to make the move to Florida) to try to save up as much money as we can. It's me, my son and husband. Looking to save anywhere from groceries to utilities, well pretty much any area we can.

If any experts out there have any tips, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 10:18 AM

8,957 posts, read 17,021,893 times
Let hubby whine all he wants to. If you're willing to cut back on food then the TV isn't important at all.

There's free TV , the library, hobbies,cards, etc. to keep a person busy so hubby's TV would be the first thing to go in my book 'cause there real money to save there.

In truth........hubby should be ashamed that TV is so important to him.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:13 AM

Well maybe he should be but he's not. He works hard and he doesn't go out to bars with friends, or strip clubs or other crap like that so I won't begrudge him his satellite (it would only boil down to saving $25 or so a month at this rate). Also, I never said we were cutting out food, just looking at best ways to save on what we already buy, coupons, etc. Anyways I appreciate the advice so let's just say minus that one luxury (and not cutting down on actual quality or quantity of food - except in my case where I need to lose weight anyway). Any other tips from people would be great.

Thanks again!

Old 09-03-2009, 02:54 PM

8,095 posts, read 12,754,363 times
Thinking back to when I was unemployed years ago, so take your picks:
No Dish TV
No cell
No restaurants
No fast food
No convenience food
No soda - water out of the tap.
Only bought meat on sale.
Only bought fruits & vegetables that were in season and on sale.
Bought canned goods and sundries at a dented can grocery outlet type store
No kid mowing my lawn
Rented a room to a college student
Wore sweatshirts instead of turning on the heat I was lucky it wasn't summertime!)

If you have 2 cars, get rid of one. If you have "toys" (motorcycles, boats, ski-doos, etc) get rid of them. Contact your insurance carrier for your house & vehicles, change the deductible to the highest they allow.

That $25 a month for your husband's satellite? That's equal to $400 from now until April. Doesn't he want to move to Florida also?

Old 09-03-2009, 03:00 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,021,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
Well maybe he should be but he's not. He works hard and he doesn't go out to bars with friends, or strip clubs or other crap like that so I won't begrudge him his satellite (it would only boil down to saving $25 or so a month at this rate). Also, I never said we were cutting out food, just looking at best ways to save on what we already buy, coupons, etc. Anyways I appreciate the advice so let's just say minus that one luxury (and not cutting down on actual quality or quantity of food - except in my case where I need to lose weight anyway). Any other tips from people would be great.

Thanks again!
You said....... "Looking to save anywhere from groceries to utilities, "

Then again $25 a month is $300 a year so are you really serious about cutting to the bone ........or is this just noise to make you feel good?

Old 09-03-2009, 03:05 PM

100 posts, read 124,922 times
Shop in discounts (Walmart, Aldi). Take the list before you go there. Pay with cash (no credit cards).

Old 09-03-2009, 03:07 PM

Nah, I guess just cutting down to the 3rd epidermis layer then...when you posted earlier about food
Quote:
If you're willing to cut back on food
We don't want to cut back on the amount of food, just what we spend on it (again using coupons, shopping at cheaper places, etc.)

I guess I came across too strong so nevermind...I can see already this is going to get into a debate between trying to save money and expected to live like paupers...

But thanks anyways...

Old 09-03-2009, 03:21 PM

10,723 posts, read 20,156,038 times
80% of your costs typically come from 20% of your budget items. Focus on those, saving $10-$20/month here and there is a drop in the bucket to say renting out a room for $300 a month. You might be better off getting second source of income.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:34 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,795,171 times
A good way to get some extra money and help you save money in the move is to start looking now at the things you need to move, and figuring out what you can get rid of.

While you're still there, finish wearing out your older clothes, socks, etc., and then toss them before the move. You can always buy new ones at the other end. Start putting household clutter you really don't need on Craigslist, and then put that money away. Look in the cupboards to see what food is left, and fix that box of whatever that's been back in the corner for a year instead of buying something else. Cook up that chunk of mystery meat that's been lurking in the back of the freezer for a while. If you use up and get rid of everything you can it will be easier to move and you'll have more money to do so.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:46 PM

429 posts, read 599,612 times
$25 per month might seem like a small ammount but it adds up to $300 per year..I stopped going to starbucks on my way to work at $5.00 per cup it has saved me over $300 in the last year.(I have one as a treat about once every 3 months now and it tastes absolutely wonderful!)If my husband cuts smoking down by half a pack per day it could potentially save us$700 per year.Have you crunched your numbers????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living