U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 01:52 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times

Advertisements

My vote is for less stuff, more people.

I joined a ladies cocktail meetup. We only meet once every couple of weeks at a different local establishment and there is usually food ordered, either appetizers or a dinner, because we meet at 7pm. But everything is optional. I budget for this because I want a more active social life, I love the the whole "food and conversation" thing, and most people only have one cocktail since we all have to drive home after. It's always fun and never too expensive because of where we choose to go. But every once in awhile someone will come and complain about the price and say they could eat better at home or complain about the cost of a mixed drink. I don't get it. Stay home or come out, it's your choice. Get food or don't, have a cocktail or an iced tea. As long as you can bring positive energy to the table it's all good.

PS. I'm NOT a drinker, but I really enjoy tryng all these fancy drinks (Lemon Drops, Appletini, Cosmo's, etc) and for the cost of one it makes the evening feel "special" since it's out of the ordinary for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 12:32 PM

33,948 posts, read 32,379,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this. I'd rather have something to show for my money than spending it on eating out, for example. However, it's hard to meet people when you're not willing to spend any money (I'm over 40, single, no family here, few friends).

For example, I had signed up for a meetup this a.m. to go to dim sum. But, last night I was bored and went to Goodwill and spent $18. I got a deviled eggs food platter and three tops for this money. I couldn't rationalize going to dim sum today, so I cancelled. I find myself doing this a lot to the extent I have more clothes than I know what to do with. But I love going to dollar daze at the Goodwill. Plus I have something to show for my money, but I know it's important to be with people and do stuff too.

Thoughts? Comments?
I don't know where you live but where I live (Tennessee) there are plenty of free events to go to where you could meet people if you wanted to. My state never met a festival it didn't like. Between April and November there's practically one every weekend nearby. Most are free and include different types of entertainment, booths, activities, tours. My town has a community band and a community orchestra. Both have free concerts and pay concerts. The free ones are outdoors. I've never paid for parking in my 2.5 years in Tennessee and have never been on a toll road in the state. Our wonderful state parks are free (don't need a pass), there is no charge for parking and frequently there are talks or events inside the parks. We have a free arboretum in my town. We have free events on holidays like July 4 and Christmas. People get together and walk the trails/greenways/blueways (we have a free lake). There are flea markets and farmer's markets where you can schmooze and listen to music if you don't want to buy. You can go to free living history events.

I bet my former state had a lot of free things to do, too. I just never noticed when I was still in the workforce.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:07 PM

6,717 posts, read 11,166,301 times
I don't care too much if it's a one-time expense and it's not excessive.. like taking ONE vacation.. going out to the bar ONCE..

The areas I mostly concentrate my efforts on are the Big-Ticket Recurring items like Rent, Car Payment, Taxes, etc. where put in all of my effort and do anything legal to lower the costs substantially.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:04 PM

2,379 posts, read 4,282,348 times
I'm a less stuff/more people kind of person myself. We spend a lot of time and money traveling to see friends/family and I've never regretted it...

In any case, OP - I find it interesting that the item you bought (the egg tray) is one that is really only used for entertaining. I see that same line of thinking alot on Hoarder shows. People who desire some sort of outside but are held back for some reason buying things for entertaining instead of actually doing it..

Old 01-14-2012, 10:57 PM

27 posts, read 36,189 times
I think this post brings up a good point..Spend on socializing and intangibles or items? I remember reading research that showed people tended to be happier spending on social events.

I agree though, I tend to buy things (I just personally enjoying shopping hehe) because on whole, my social group goes out ALOT and thus, my money would go much more quickly if I attended all of those functions. But I also remind myself to save and use money for social events, and yes, I do find myself having a good time spending on those too (as long as the price is reasonable).

-Alot of times, I find myself declining events that are too pricey, but heck, they still regard me as a friend =) Food and drinks can really add up! I prefer hunting at Goodwill

Old 01-15-2012, 05:18 AM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
I wish i had all the money i've spent on restaurants-food and drinks- think i could buy a new car

you can start your own social activity group- call it "cheap bastard socialites" and gather input from members

that would catch my eye

Old 01-15-2012, 06:56 AM

297 posts, read 623,749 times
I'll say once I meet someone and they become a friend, then the relationship can be quite inexpensive. I can cook at home. Or go for a walk. Watch a movie at home (not paid TV, but VCR and 50 cents for used VCR movies these days).

Meeting someone can be expensive or cheap. There is craigslist.org with free personals. Just be honest and spell out what you want and don't want. You could meet in a public fast food place and just have a soda pop. That is not expensive.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:09 PM

27 posts, read 36,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I wish i had all the money i've spent on restaurants-food and drinks- think i could buy a new car

you can start your own social activity group- call it "cheap bastard socialites" and gather input from members

that would catch my eye
LOL..I like it :P

Old 01-16-2012, 11:10 PM

4,472 posts, read 5,126,060 times
How do you have intimite relations with women?

Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 PM

4,472 posts, read 5,126,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I agree. I am going to a Spanish reading club and Spanish movie this week to improve my Spanish - both low cost, both will improve my speaking skills. I may pursue another language too. Not sure. I find learning languages to be interesting and this doesn't cost much. There are plenty of meetups on the Net for converational classes for all levels.

You've suggested some great ways to have fun, btw.
I looked into the cost of roseta stone and it wasent cheap, is there a cheaper way to do it that is equally easy to be successful at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living