U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:34 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,151,370 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this. I'd rather have something to show for my money than spending it on eating out, for example. However, it's hard to meet people when you're not willing to spend any money (I'm over 40, single, no family here, few friends).

For example, I had signed up for a meetup this a.m. to go to dim sum. But, last night I was bored and went to Goodwill and spent $18. I got a deviled eggs food platter and three tops for this money. I couldn't rationalize going to dim sum today, so I cancelled. I find myself doing this a lot to the extent I have more clothes than I know what to do with. But I love going to dollar daze at the Goodwill. Plus I have something to show for my money, but I know it's important to be with people and do stuff too.

Thoughts? Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 12:47 PM

650 posts, read 973,823 times
ya, you gotta spend some $ to have social life, or become the mooch of the bunch lol

Old 09-06-2009, 01:40 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,466,511 times
I guess I'm the opposite. I'd rather have memories of good times shared with family and friends and experiences I'd lived through. I don't really need or want a bunch of stuff cluttering my closets and my life.

If I had 20 bucks to spend on a weekend, I'd spend $10 on some cheese and bread, $10 on a bottle of wine, pick tomatoes and herbs from the garden and invite a friend over to sit on my porch with me and count fireflies.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:48 PM

3,199 posts, read 10,959,643 times
Did you need a deviled egg plate and 3 new tops? Do you need (or wish for) more friends and happy times with them? Which is more important to you?

The ball is in your court, whether you buy it brand new or at a yard sale, friend.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:53 PM

Thanks all. I want both.

I guess I look at return on investment. I could go and have dim sum with a bunch of strangers or go to Goodwill. Goodwill wins out. However, I am also starting Toastmasters on Tues. which is $40 a month. Now, this means dinner every Tues, plus people I can get to know over time, plus self-improvement!

The wine and cheese and fresh garden stuff sure do sound good though

Old 09-06-2009, 03:16 PM

5,210 posts, read 8,805,870 times
Picnics, museums, nature walks, self led tours of historic areas, etc. are all very low cost. Maybe you could suggest/help organize a meetup at one of those venues instead.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:53 AM

8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this. I'd rather have something to show for my money than spending it on eating out, for example. However, it's hard to meet people when you're not willing to spend any money (I'm over 40, single, no family here, few friends).

For example, I had signed up for a meetup this a.m. to go to dim sum. But, last night I was bored and went to Goodwill and spent $18. I got a deviled eggs food platter and three tops for this money. I couldn't rationalize going to dim sum today, so I cancelled. I find myself doing this a lot to the extent I have more clothes than I know what to do with. But I love going to dollar daze at the Goodwill. Plus I have something to show for my money, but I know it's important to be with people and do stuff too.

Thoughts? Comments?
You are filling your loneliness with things, friend. Try and find more friends or volunteer to help others. Either way you need more people in your life.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:52 AM

23,902 posts, read 31,123,865 times
I'm with Plaidmom. I'm not especially a "frugal liver" (I think I clicked on this thread by accident in fact! ) but I would much rather spend money on socializing then buying a bunch of stuff I don't need. I love being with people, and making new friends, and DOING stuff. That provides way more satisfaction that anything hanging in my closet. Now, if we are talking about an inground pool...well, I think I could give up socializing for a while to pay for that!!

Old 09-07-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
You are filling your loneliness with things, friend. Try and find more friends or volunteer to help others. Either way you need more people in your life.
Thanks. I do volunteer already at a food bank. I don't really get to know the other volunteers, as it's a DMV style job where we are busy with people the whole time. I also will start another volunteer job as soon as they get things together on their end. In a previous volunteer job I ended up meeting a guy who has turned out to be a disappointment. Out of all of the holidays in the past three years I've spent two with him. Of course, this is a holiday weekend and he is out of town and I am on CDF, but the company is nice here.

I am going to start a Toastmasters group tomorrow night to meet NORMAL people. I always seem to attract weirdos so I end up keeping to myself or spending time online.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I'm with Plaidmom. I'm not especially a "frugal liver" (I think I clicked on this thread by accident in fact! ) but I would much rather spend money on socializing then buying a bunch of stuff I don't need. I love being with people, and making new friends, and DOING stuff. That provides way more satisfaction that anything hanging in my closet. Now, if we are talking about an inground pool...well, I think I could give up socializing for a while to pay for that!!
Funny you should say this. I have one paid for that I never use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living