U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 01:06 PM

5,122 posts, read 9,424,685 times

Advertisements

It's been my experience that Frugal is Freeing and Debting is Enslaving. I opt for the former.

Don't find thrifty living more work, just a different mindset--it's fun, actually, when your friends and family are on the same wave-length...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 01:10 PM

Oh, and I wanted add that sometimes its great to have a friend who's the ultimate consumer...she loves to shop, loves to redecorate often. I've often been the beneficiary of her generosity..my house now boasts a kitchen curtain, a crock pot, a bookcase, an area rug and some clothes that she's passed down the food chain to me.

She's got great taste, I enjoy her gifts (but don't accept them all as I like living with few possessions). We've also stopped trying to reform each other in our opposing lifestyles...it all works out fine.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:11 PM

24,753 posts, read 26,824,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I know everyone who frequents this forum and posts is probably into the frugal living idea. But compared to the other forums this is not a busy forum and I wonder why.

Given the economy, I would think a LOT of people are tightening their belts. I know I've always been pretty conservative in good times as well as bad. But I hear stories about how the restaurants are still full, etc. I am happy about this, as it sustains the economy. However, I think people who live like this who are average Joes are in for a big shock within a couple of years. Do you agree or not? What percentage of the population is like those in this forum who are looking for ways to reduce expenses?(and I think some people in this forum are really frugal).
If you believe what Jean Chatzky says in her latest book The Difference, about 30% of the US population fits into what she calls "wealthy" or "financially comfortable" categories. These are the people who save decent portions of their incomes reguarly. The rest of us are either "paycheck to paycheck" or "further in debtors" (based on her research of 5000 housholds)

It's an excellent book, by the way.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:15 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,158,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Oh, and I wanted add that sometimes its great to have a friend who's the ultimate consumer...she loves to shop, loves to redecorate often. I've often been the beneficiary of her generosity..my house now boasts a kitchen curtain, a crock pot, a bookcase, an area rug and some clothes that she's passed down the food chain to me.

She's got great taste, I enjoy her gifts (but don't accept them all as I like living with few possessions). We've also stopped trying to reform each other in our opposing lifestyles...it all works out fine.
That's very neat. I wish I were like you but I seem to collect stuff. I don't spend much on decorating and the like. A lot of my stuff is from Goodwill or just didn't start out being expensive. What I have invested in is a decent piece of property. Even if the furniture I have isn't all that great, the investment is.

It's great to have opposing lifestyles and get along well. I have a very good friend and we have very different philosophies when it comes to money. It's caused a bit of a rift. Because I don't spend as much as she does she expects things like for me to fly her to where I live. She figures I have more than she does so I should do this. Well, I don't spend $1700 on a sofa like she does, so no wonder I have more. Anyway,

Old 09-07-2009, 01:16 PM

15,533 posts, read 29,261,945 times
Quote:
I know everyone who frequents this forum and posts is probably into the frugal living idea. But compared to the other forums this is not a busy forum and I wonder why.

Given the economy, I would think a LOT of people are tightening their belts. I know I've always been pretty conservative in good times as well as bad. But I hear stories about how the restaurants are still full, etc. I am happy about this, as it sustains the economy. However, I think people who live like this who are average Joes are in for a big shock within a couple of years. Do you agree or not? What percentage of the population is like those in this forum who are looking for ways to reduce expenses?(and I think some people in this forum are really frugal).
I consider myself really frugal as compared to the average person. Nevertheless, dining out is one of the few luxuries I allow myself. When it comes to food, I have said on numerous occasions on this forum (and others), we do not scrimp. Everything else yes - but not food. (Although, I guess in this context, eating out would be more entertainment than nutrition).

I do not see people cutting back like you'd think they would. I think it is mostly because they don't know how. The first step is hitting the "off" button on the television set.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-07-2009, 01:23 PM

Property is a fine investment--you get to enjoy it daily and as they say, 'they're not making any more land." I love stewarding our pines and two pecan trees--they belong mostly to the birds and squirrels but I get to rake up their fallen needles and leaves...the squirrels get most of the pecans..

Old 09-07-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I consider myself really frugal as compared to the average person. Nevertheless, dining out is one of the few luxuries I allow myself. When it comes to food, I have said on numerous occasions on this forum (and others), we do not scrimp. Everything else yes - but not food. (Although, I guess in this context, eating out would be more entertainment than nutrition).

I do not see people cutting back like you'd think they would. I think it is mostly because they don't know how. The first step is hitting the "off" button on the television set.

20yrsinBranson
How so? To not have cable? Or to not be swayed by commercials that promote consumption? I think cable is a pretty good bang for the buck. Although reading is better I know.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
If you believe what Jean Chatzky says in her latest book The Difference, about 30% of the US population fits into what she calls "wealthy" or "financially comfortable" categories. These are the people who save decent portions of their incomes reguarly. The rest of us are either "paycheck to paycheck" or "further in debtors" (based on her research of 5000 housholds)

It's an excellent book, by the way.
Wow, this is really hard for me to believe. This is certainly not what the news reflects. I guess it depends on the definition of wealthy and financially comfortable?

Old 09-07-2009, 01:37 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,758,561 times
Quote:
Wow, this is really hard for me to believe. This is certainly not what the news reflects. I guess it depends on the definition of wealthy and financially comfortable?
I think it depends more on location.

Not all areas of the country have been hit as hard as the media reports.
Some areas are even doing well.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:41 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,509,074 times
I think it's dangerous to make assumptions about whether or not somebody is frugal unless you have access to their accounts. Going out to eat, high-speed internet, cell phones, and brand-name clothing may easily fit into one's budget, given sufficient financial resources. That person at your office or Mom's group who drives a luxury car and is never without a Starbucks latte may have a paid off house and save half her income. Frugality takes many forms, not all of which are immediately discernible to the casual observer. Take care not judge a book by its cover.

As far as how busy this forum is, well, perhaps it has a lot of lurkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living