U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 05:33 PM

8,095 posts, read 12,743,355 times

Advertisements

""You put your priorities in different places because you never know if you're going to have a job tomorrow," the legal secretary says. "You think twice now. I have six TVs in the house. Do I really need a new flat screen?""

That is just .... obscene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 05:36 PM

9,961 posts, read 11,815,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
According to this New frugality is the new normal, by necessity - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090907/ap_on_bi_ge/us_meltdown_new_frugality - broken link)
a lot of people are being frugal. There is some concern that a lot of people will stay frugal even when the economy is much better. Still I suppose it'll make a new kind of economy based on less expensive products.

My husband and I decided to start saving more money,so we are being frugal. It's working out pretty well. It's amazing the amount of money you spend each month that just goes for nothing much. We've taken all extra money and started banking it. I like it. It's a good feeling.
My wife and I have been saving money for a few years now at the rate of a single $100 bill per week come he11 or high water. Three or four weeks worth isn't enough to save anyone but do it for a couple years and it starts to look awfully good sitting wherever you keep it hidden. Started in my sock drawer but when the envelope started getting at I moved it to a fire rated enclosure.

After two years you got another potential problem when it grows beyond $10,000. My goal is to keep this up for another ten years. Kick me hard because for the last 30 of 35 years I know I could have easily saved $100 per week in addition to the IRA accounts but I didn't. The idea I like about the cash is nobody knowing about it. If they don't know you have it they can't take it away.

Are we going to turn into our grandparents and great grandparents who went through the great depression? I wouldn't say they were frugal with money but they knew the value of money and were careful with it.

You got to document the money came to you legally and you paid taxes on it. Keep good records that can be traced if need be.

I wish we had started this 30 years ago and while some people might think cash is crazy (I did three years ago) there is something comforting about having cash in addition to the standard IRA's etc..

I've read stories about people in their mid 50's left without anything, unable to land a job and it just scares me to death for anyone.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:37 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,240,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
How so? To not have cable? Or to not be swayed by commercials that promote consumption? I think cable is a pretty good bang for the buck. Although reading is better I know.
People often mistake television for an entertainement media that is funded by advertising sales. Nothing could be further from the truth. Television is an advertising media. The television programs are there to keep you interested between commercials.

There is nothing on television that is not about spending money. Even the so-called "educational" shows (yeah right), often will offer CD or DVDs of the "show you just watched" for a nominal fee. And as far as mainstream television is concerned, even the shows are sending the subliminal message to buy, buy, buy. People don't even realize how they are being brainwashed.

And yeah. Cable is a bad idea too. I haven't had tv for about 12 years now, and I don't miss it at all.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-07-2009, 07:38 PM

3,529 posts, read 6,207,787 times
Just like anything else in life, one person's frugal is another persons extravagant.

I am someone that really needs to buckle down on spending. However, I have no intentions of owning a home anytime soon, have no kids and can't have any, and live in a nice, but very inexpensive apartment with my girlfriend.

My vices are clothes and eating out/Starbucks. I will say though, that, over the last year, my consumption has gone way down for these types of things. Most of the clothing I have purchased are dress shirts and ties, none of which I have paid over $20 bucks for. I usually get them when Dillards is having a 40% off Clearance sale.. Last week I got an awesome shirt for 11 bucks. I have stopped buying clothes on sale though, I now only buy them if I plan on wearing them soon, and, have developed a habit of returning unworn things within 2-3 weeks instead of letting them sit there. Starbucks I have cut drastically down on.. eating out.. a little.. could do better.

I am frugal on other things though. I enjoy grocery shopping, and love to cook, so, I look for bargains, in store coupons, etc to lower those down. When I see things I like that are on sale, I stock up. I eat leftovers almost every day at work. I love to travel, so, when planning a trip, I spend lots of my free time, while watching TV or listening to the radio.. surfing looking for deals, information, etc... which help lower the costs of a vacation. Just last week, I went on a 5 day cruise from Galveston for $820, and that was for an Oceanview room. I also am thrifty on buying things, I love CD's, but instead of buying them at a store, unless it is brand new, I will go on Amazon and buy it used for a couple of bucks. Same with books, or DVD's.

As far as how many people actually practice a normal standard of Frugal Living? Probably less than 5%

Old 09-07-2009, 07:57 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,154,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
""You put your priorities in different places because you never know if you're going to have a job tomorrow," the legal secretary says. "You think twice now. I have six TVs in the house. Do I really need a new flat screen?""

That is just .... obscene.
Even if they are all dinosaur TVs?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
As far as how many people actually practice a normal standard of Frugal Living? Probably less than 5%
What's a normal standard of frugal living?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I've read stories about people in their mid 50's left without anything, unable to land a job and it just scares me to death for anyone.
Yeah, I wonder what they do. I am scared to death enough as things stand, as I'll be 50 in two weeks. My house is paid for, I don't have much debt, have a nest egg and I'm still worried. I don't have a job and am not even looking.

My entertainment today was to make some mushroom stroganoff and go to Savers. I spent $7.58 - pretty good for me. Now if I could only quit these darn cigarettes. They are a HUGE vice and costly (not to mention horrible for my health but, hey, I'm addicted). My plan is to give them up before my BD and stick the money in a box I would have spent. This should save me over $1400 a year.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:09 PM

8,095 posts, read 12,743,355 times
Dinosaur or flat screen ... six in one house is ridiculous.

I have one - a dinosaur (I like that name!) that was bought in 1987. I think it's a 32"? Who knows

Even when I had kids living here, there was one.

And just watch - now that I've talked about it, it'll decide to break

Old 09-07-2009, 08:18 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,899,241 times
we have family who "claim" they are frugal.... they live in a normal home; about 1500 sq ft (aprox) and they have-4 Tv's!! 4 tv's in a house of that size,I feel is ridiculous.. one of them being in the same room as the family flat screen tv,so their kids can watch videos if they want.....
The same family members that claim to be frugal, bought a large movie screen so they can be part of the "in" crowd in the neighborhood who show movies on their lawn in the Summer... not sure what those screens cost,but pretty sure not a necessity at this point?
So I ask-what exactly does being frugal mean?
Having 4 tv's in one house ,no matter what size the darn thing is,is ridiculous! a movie screen is just obnoxious....

Old 09-07-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
we have family who "claim" they are frugal.... they live in a normal home; about 1500 sq ft (aprox) and they have-4 Tv's!! 4 tv's in a house of that size,I feel is ridiculous.. one of them being in the same room as the family flat screen tv,so their kids can watch videos if they want.....
The same family members that claim to be frugal, bought a large movie screen so they can be part of the "in" crowd in the neighborhood who show movies on their lawn in the Summer... not sure what those screens cost,but pretty sure not a necessity at this point?
So I ask-what exactly does being frugal mean?
Having 4 tv's in one house ,no matter what size the darn thing is,is ridiculous! a movie screen is just obnoxious....
Ok, I confess, I have three and I live alone. And I did buy a new flat 32"er not too long ago. But I got a super deal at Costco - $400. I guess I was a bit embarrassed to have the dinosaur (dinosaur was maybe 5 years old. Other TV must be over 10 years old. I once had only one TV I kept for 22 years). My dog ate my glasses (good excuse) and I couldn't see the screen of the dinosaur. Now it's sitting in the garage. I have a small one sitting in the closet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living