U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:07 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,152,577 times

Advertisements

I know everyone who frequents this forum and posts is probably into the frugal living idea. But compared to the other forums this is not a busy forum and I wonder why.

Given the economy, I would think a LOT of people are tightening their belts. I know I've always been pretty conservative in good times as well as bad. But I hear stories about how the restaurants are still full, etc. I am happy about this, as it sustains the economy. However, I think people who live like this who are average Joes are in for a big shock within a couple of years. Do you agree or not? What percentage of the population is like those in this forum who are looking for ways to reduce expenses?(and I think some people in this forum are really frugal).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 08:40 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,112,182 times
There's a whole 'nother forum dedicated to simple/frugal living:

Simple Living Discussion Forums

It's not very busy, either. This gives me the idea that most Americans are just not interested in frugality, but I could be wrong.

Frugal living is the only way to go for me. The future's just too uncertain, and I never had a job that I'd have wanted to be chained to just to pay off debt. The only debt I ever had was a $50K mortgage, and I got that paid off ASAP.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:49 AM

8,957 posts, read 17,000,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post

It's not very busy, either. This gives me the idea that most Americans are just not interested in frugality, but I could be wrong.

The base issue with being frugal is that it always means more work for the frugal person. THAT is why it's not the hot topic. Nobody want's to take on more work of any kind.

People would rather throw money at life than live it.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:56 AM

4,636 posts, read 4,946,459 times
Healthy and frugal. Food, clothing, shelter. Everything else comes second. And don't pal around with gallivanting spendaholics.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:52 AM

8,095 posts, read 12,740,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The base issue with being frugal is that it always means more work for the frugal person.
More work, until it becomes a habit. Then you're on cruise control.

Ever have someone complain about something (like not enough money), and you try to suggest a way to fix (example, make a budget)?

You usually get, "Oh, I don't have time to do that."

Old 09-07-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post

Frugal living is the only way to go for me. The future's just too uncertain, and I never had a job that I'd have wanted to be chained to just to pay off debt. The only debt I ever had was a $50K mortgage, and I got that paid off ASAP.
Thanks for the link and I am with you on paying off the mortgage. Mine is paid off and I wouldn't have it any other way. HOWEVER, my downfall is credit card debt. I'm not working right now so if I pay it off my savings account goes that much lower. I know I'm paying interest each month (which is stupid), but it does give me some comfort seeing a higher bank balance.

All in all, I'm $8K in debt (all CC). Other than this I have no debt. Going forward, I am not spending any money unless necessary, save for joining a club that will cost $40 a month (but this will be my only expense on "entertainment," so to speak). I will start looking for work tomorrow (even though I find it thoroughly depressing) and go back to my roots where no job is beneath me, even if it means working at McDonalds (and right now I'd be lucky to get a job at McDonalds).

And maybe it's selfish, but I'm glad most Americans are not into frugality. I've been accused of being cheap, which I don't like, but let someone else keep the economy going. I am going to find ways of being ok without spending money.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The base issue with being frugal is that it always means more work for the frugal person. THAT is why it's not the hot topic. Nobody want's to take on more work of any kind.

People would rather throw money at life than live it.
I think it's far simpler to be frugal than a spendthrift, not to mention the stress that comes with being a spendthrift. Of course, I'm not one, so maybe it's not all that stressful for them.

Some people do believe life IS spending money. I suppose I could fall into that trap quite easily. Why save for a rainy day when I could be dead within a few months with the swine flu? No matter how much someone plans ahead and tries to be frugal, there are the uncontrollable events in life like death. I have gotten myself into trouble on this front, in that I've purchased quite a bit of jewelry and far more than I need. Some of it's just costume, but still...I justify it by telling myself I can always sell it on Ebay. However, not as many people are spending on Ebay and that is one area I have noticed where people are cutting back. Prices have gone down, as fewer people are bidding on things I paid much more for. I've sold one thing on Ebay and have just said forget it. I will hope that this economy turns around and then sell the stuff someday.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:35 AM

3,628 posts, read 9,024,457 times
you don't know though, maybe some of those people in those restaurants are frugal and they're just going out for a special meal. being frugal doesn't mean you have to stay in your house all the time.

as for me, i'm single, and i know if i had all the time in the world to cook, etc. i would never have to eat out and it would be cheaper. but strangely enough, sometimes it winds up cheaper for me to just eat out, rather than buying food that i wind up not having time to cook and then it goes to waste.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
you don't know though, maybe some of those people in those restaurants are frugal and they're just going out for a special meal. being frugal doesn't mean you have to stay in your house all the time.

as for me, i'm single, and i know if i had all the time in the world to cook, etc. i would never have to eat out and it would be cheaper. but strangely enough, sometimes it winds up cheaper for me to just eat out, rather than buying food that i wind up not having time to cook and then it goes to waste.
Yeah, you're right. I make great Chinese but it does cost more than going out for Chinese lunch.

Right now I've got stuff in the refrigerator that is going to spoil unless I cook it today, but I don't feel like cooking it today. But I will. One of the ways I save money is to shop at Costco and buy things for the freezer. However, I have to be careful in that some things are not a great deal at Costco. Sometimes their produce costs just as much as it does at the grocery store and because their produce comes in large quantities it does tend to spoil.

I spoke with my mother today and she told me I am acting or thinking like I am in the soup line. However, with the economy so uncertain, I don't see how someone cannot feel like they're in the soup line. I'd feel ok if they'd pass some public option, but I don't think they will. My greatest worry is some medical catastrophe (sp) will happen and then I'll end up losing everything. When I start thinking this way I say the H with frugality. I may as well just live for today.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:19 AM

3,628 posts, read 9,024,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Yeah, you're right. I make great Chinese but it does cost more than going out for Chinese lunch.

Right now I've got stuff in the refrigerator that is going to spoil unless I cook it today, but I don't feel like cooking it today. But I will. One of the ways I save money is to shop at Costco and buy things for the freezer. However, I have to be careful in that some things are not a great deal at Costco. Sometimes their produce costs just as much as it does at the grocery store and because their produce comes in large quantities it does tend to spoil.

I spoke with my mother today and she told me I am acting or thinking like I am in the soup line. However, with the economy so uncertain, I don't see how someone cannot feel like they're in the soup line. I'd feel ok if they'd pass some public option, but I don't think they will. My greatest worry is some medical catastrophe (sp) will happen and then I'll end up losing everything. When I start thinking this way I say the H with frugality. I may as well just live for today.
yeah, it's weird how that happens. good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living