U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 04:10 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,516,407 times

Advertisements

I'm not frugal for everything ~ I'm selective.

When it comes to food I am really not frugal because good health is a priority in my life and I'm not going to skimp on high quality, fresh food, sometimes organic.

However, I do save a LOT of $$$$$ by not consuming junk food, by not consuming processed food, by not consuming wine, beer, alcohol, by not consuming snacks like chips, etc. and by not consuming soda and juice products, or cigarettes, or prescribed drugs. That's a lot of savings

When it comes to clothing, 95% of my purchases are from local thrift shops, with the exception of shoes and underwear, and I save lots of $$$$.

When it comes to household items like furniture and linens, most of my purchases are from local thrift shops and I save lots of $$$.

I don't spend $ on fancy electronics; have had the same 19" television for years and save lots of $$$$ in that area.

NO CREDIT ~ if I can't afford to pay for it, I don't buy it ! Big savings there

So, is anyone else selectively frugal ? And HOW ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 07:16 PM

5,123 posts, read 9,428,480 times
CIB,

We're very similar...though I do confess that I love a glass of red wine once in a while.

It's funny, but I actually have a personal shopper at my favorite 'high-end' thrift store. She's a dear friend and she calls to let me know when something comes in that 'has my name on it.' And I'm among the first to know when they have their semi-annual 'everything for a quarter' seasonal sales.

Only we dedicated thrifters know the thrill of having gently-owned or never worn, sometimes designer clothes for pennies. I like clothes--they're costumes and it's fun to play dress-up according to season or mood with out busting the bank.

Another way I realize savings is shopping at produce stands from local growers and buying shrimp and fish from local fisherman..it's fresh and that way I'm helping to support the local economy...

So many wise ways to eat in a healthful way, dress ourselves nicely and furnish our homes, when we put our minds to it. Aren't we truly fortunate? And rich?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:54 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,435,624 times
Oh, Little Dolphin, I always love to read your posts! Alas, I tried to rep you but I've given you rep recently so I'll just have to say thanks for sharing your thoughts.

My furry babies (dog and cat) are older and require special food and vet care. I'm sooo very blessed to be able to give them what they need in that area. My hubby and I have good insurance (his) for our healthcare, so we are extremely blessed there are well.

I've really been working to cut down on our eating out and grocery shopping. This is an area I can really work to whittle down.

Entertainment - we go to an occassional movie but for hubby it is video games and for me it is reading, working with my plants, a walk on the beach or something fairly FREE.

Car - I always believe in driving a used car for which I can pay cash and having NO CAR Payment.

Clothes - Even though I do shop consignment shops and Ebay, etc... I still have room to cut back in this area some more. My hubby really pays attention to clothes so this is an area where I still spend some $$.

House - We just moved into a new farm house so I'll be working to use scavenged finds to dress the house in our cozy, ecclectic, cottage style for the next couple of years. I won't buy used sheets...eekkk ....I just can't stand the thoughts of that. But so far, we only had to buy a new couch and chair and a new kitchen table for the house. We had everything else for the most part.

I still give to my church.....It is just part of my budget each month and it is important to me to share what God has been so gracious to give to my family.

Can't wait to see how others segregate their frugal lifestyles.....

Old 09-07-2009, 09:51 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,160,441 times
This is a fun thread!

Food - I shop at Costco and buy all fruit and vegetables on sale at Sprouts. I'm on a diet which has really cut down my food consumption. I no longer drink wine.

Car - drive a 2002 Honda Accord. Only have 52K miles on it so I'm thinking it'll last me for a while.

House - paid for.

Insurance and prescriptions - this is where I'm getting killed but it's a necessity.

Clothes - only shop at thrift stores, but I do buy more than I need as a form of entertainment. I love a bargain.

Now for selective spending:

Yard - I pay someone to do this.

Pool - I pay someone to do this.

Cigarettes - Yuck.

Ebay - have gotten much better but at one time bought duplicate items just for fun in the bidding process.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:17 PM

9,316 posts, read 17,980,075 times
We spend very little money because most of our stuff comes from yard sales and thrift shops. Even at the grocery store we save tons by only buying ingredients and buying things on discount. We also get bulk ingredients from a food co-op and buy food from the local farmer's market as well as grow a lot of our own. There are five hens in the back yard who turn scratching for bugs and garden trimmings into eggs so they are a savings, too. As well as being fun to watch.

By saving all this money, we are able to spend money when we want to. Last weekend we bought a pile of lumber at a yard sale so I'm building a picnic table this week. Instead of galvanized bolts and screws to hold it together, I bought stainless. We live near the ocean and I only want to build this picnic table once. Considering the price of fasteners, we will now be buying these things as we see them at yard sales. However, I expect the stainless steel fasteners I just paid thrice the price for to still be in use at least a decade from now if not two decades or more. We will spend money on durable goods and define "durable" as lasting more than a decade.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:49 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,454,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I'm not frugal for everything ~ I'm selective.

When it comes to food I am really not frugal because good health is a priority in my life and I'm not going to skimp on high quality, fresh food, sometimes organic.

However, I do save a LOT of $$$$$ by not consuming junk food, by not consuming processed food, by not consuming wine, beer, alcohol, by not consuming snacks like chips, etc. and by not consuming soda and juice products, or cigarettes, or prescribed drugs. That's a lot of savings

When it comes to clothing, 95% of my purchases are from local thrift shops, with the exception of shoes and underwear, and I save lots of $$$$.

When it comes to household items like furniture and linens, most of my purchases are from local thrift shops and I save lots of $$$.

I don't spend $ on fancy electronics; have had the same 19" television for years and save lots of $$$$ in that area.

NO CREDIT ~ if I can't afford to pay for it, I don't buy it ! Big savings there

So, is anyone else selectively frugal ? And HOW ?
There's no such thing as "selectively frugal", you're either frugal or you're not. Frugality is not about getting the cheapest of everything, it is about engaging in personal business/financial transactions that provide the best return for all involved. Because personal tastes are personal, frugality is by definition "selective" for each individual who is frugal. The selectivity is already in each of us, and frugality affects how we cater to our selections.

For example, it's not "frugal" for someone to buy the cheaper item if he or she strongly prefers the more expensive item and it's something that is an integral part of his or her life experience. That's being cheap, not frugal. And it's foolish to be cheap. There's a saying, "It's more expensive to be cheap." I believe that.

If someone gives me a recipe for a "frugal" dish, like a tuna casserole, it is in fact for me NOT a frugal option. Because I hate canned tunafish, and wouldn't eat such a casserole. I couldn't enjoy it, it would turn my stomach. It would be wiser for me to spend twice the money on a dish that I would actually eat and enjoy.

Frugality is more about looking at what you already like and want, and then ccomparing what you are currently doing to get what you like and want to the options you have for getting what you like and want. So, the "selective" portion is not a part of being frugal, it's just based on your own personal tastes, needs, and wants. Frugality comes into play with how you fulfill those needs and wants; is the way you currently fulfill them the most efficient way, or is there a better way?

So, going back to the tuna casserole example, it wouldn't be 'frugal' for me to save 50% by switching from a Lasagne to a tuna casserole. What would be frugal is to explore how I currently get that lasagne and if there is a way that will save me more money and eliminate waste while delivering the same desired item (lasagne) to me. If I am using the most efficient and inexpensive way possible to get that lasagne, then I'm being "frugal" even if I'm still paying more than I'd be paying to make a tuna casserole.

So it sounds to me like you're being frugal. As someone else on this forum wisely pointed out to me, being frugal is about cutting costs where it makes sense to (as in those things you don't want to spend more on) in order to be able to spend that saved money later where you DO want to spend it.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:34 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,025,316 times
What you describe as "Selective" is just using common sense in your use of your money. Nothing special about that.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:08 PM

26,589 posts, read 53,001,371 times
A term often used in wine collecting is QPR--Quality Price Ratio.

Something can be twice expensive than a similar item, but if it's got five times better quality, the more expensive item is the better deal.

I am frugal in that I try to find the best QPR on the items I want and/or need in my life.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:25 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,454,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
A term often used in wine collecting is QPR--Quality Price Ratio.

Something can be twice expensive than a similar item, but if it's got five times better quality, the more expensive item is the better deal.

I am frugal in that I try to find the best QPR on the items I want and/or need in my life.
Great example! +1!!!

I agree and I think that is a key to frugality. "Cheap is often more expensive" is the truth. I would also factor in, however, budget limits, but maybe that's just obvious. Budget almost always trumps QPR, but it's worth going over budget if possible to get the QPR.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:12 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,436,734 times
We have saved enough in the past 9 years by taking out cable TV, to take quite a few trips by air. Charleston, SC; NYC; Clearwater, FL and twice to Washington DC - are just some of them. When we took out the cable it was going for $25 a month - now I don't think the cheapest plan is even $50 - so $50 times 12 months a year - really adds up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living