U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 03:30 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,497,453 times

Advertisements

Bob from down south wrote:
I think a good professional grade Wahl hair clipper ($50-75) is a great investment...DW has been doing my hair (which I like to keep fairly short) for a couple years now. That's around $40 a month...close to $500 a year...in very easy savings, and I like no longer having to waste a couple hours every month driving to the barber, waiting in the queue, getting the haircut, then driving back.
Great minds think alike. I bought a Wahl clipper a week or two ago with the intention that my wife would start cutting my hair. Next step is to just do it as Nike admonishes. Apparently I stretch my haircuts out alot longer than you do. I've been getting it clipped really short and letting it grow out for the next 8 weeks or so, but during the last 2 or 3 weeks it has a shabby look to it. Nonetheless, I'm still spending over a hundred bucks a year on haircuts. That is one money leak that is about to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 06:49 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,662,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Great minds think alike. I bought a Wahl clipper a week or two ago with the intention that my wife would start cutting my hair. Next step is to just do it as Nike admonishes. Apparently I stretch my haircuts out alot longer than you do. I've been getting it clipped really short and letting it grow out for the next 8 weeks or so, but during the last 2 or 3 weeks it has a shabby look to it. Nonetheless, I'm still spending over a hundred bucks a year on haircuts. That is one money leak that is about to stop.
I find mine starts getting scruffy looking in abt 2-3 weeks...ideal seems to be twice a month for me. I like having it short...haven't carried a comb in many years.

DW takes the #2 blade to the top, and then the #1 blade around the sides, and trims the neck/ears with the bare clippers. Takes me about 2 min to set up (I sit on my drummer's throne with a hefty bag "poncho" (hefty bag with an opening cut in the end for your head--you pull it over your head and use a clothespin to close up the opening in back) and 5-7 min for DW to do the deed, then another 2 min to sweep up--I use a dustpan first, and a "swiffer" style dry mop to get up all the little hairs.

Back in my working days I was hitting the barber shop every 10 days...figure $10 for the cut, a $2 tip, and a buck or two for gas each time...around $40 a month.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:42 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,769,872 times
I taught my wife how to cut my hair with scissors before we were married and so have had near-free haircuts for years. The price? A kiss. The key is to get the hair wet before cutting. Easier to cut wet hair than dry.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:29 AM

I finally got around to it last night. My wife cut my hair for the first time. Other than being a little bit shorter than I usually get it cut, it looks great. One word you don't want to hear when your wife is cutting your hair for the first time is.....oops! Thank God I only heard it once when she created a little bald spot by my right ear.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:05 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,623,759 times
The last time I paid for a haircut was about 45 years ago. The price had just gone up, and there was no way I was going to pay $2.00.

Every two or three months I put a 1/4 inch guard on my Wahl rechargeable clipper and do my whole head and face.

I just bought a new clipper and it has a 1/8 inch guard so I now will have to do it even less.

I don't know what a haircut costs these days, but I must have saved thousands of dollars over the years.

And that's not even counting a few years in the 60's and 70's when I didn't cut it at all.

But, I have been wearing my hair short for years, ever since I got my beard caught in the generator belt of my old VW bus.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:04 AM

Fat Freddy wrote:
I got my beard caught in the generator belt of my old VW bus.
Ouch! That had to hurt, especially if the engine was running at the time!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:31 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,623,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Fat Freddy wrote:
I got my beard caught in the generator belt of my old VW bus.
Ouch! That had to hurt, especially if the engine was running at the time!
The engine was running, but it was so quick that all it did was pull a clump of hair out of my beard as I pulled away.

The most painful part was the bump on my head as I smashed it in to the top of the engine compartment, and the bruise on my hand when the compartment door fell down on my hand as I tried to keep from falling backward.

But all that was nothing compared to several years later when my Cadillac Eldorado fell on top of me and squashed me flat.

But that had nothing to do with my hair, it was caused by my stupidity.

Even though I may still do stupid things, I learn from my mistakes, so I keep my hair short and take my cars to the shop.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:12 PM

Freddy....I almost fell out of my chair laughing so hard at your post above...but I bet none of it was funny while it was happening. You have by far, the best reason I've ever heard of for keeping your hair short.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:54 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,662,418 times
I rescued a coworker that caught his tie in an industrial-grade document shredder at work some years back. I pulled the cord out of the wall and stopped it...it was funny then, but I still shudder to think what would have happened if it had taken it in about another 6 inches.

I like short hair...no combing, I can wash it with a washcloth in about 15 seconds, it stays cool, and no hideous combover required when the hairline starts moving south on ya. I keep mine shorter than my son's, and he's in the Army!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living