U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 01:21 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,840,578 times

Advertisements

I Know we won't get rich off having them, but any tips on how to get the most for our stuff other than just throwing them out on the lawn? Should I put the bigger items (like large TV's, couches, etc.) on craigslist to get more $$ for them?

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 01:53 PM

5,554 posts, read 5,873,491 times
I would put the large items on craiglist. I've had success with this. People are prepared to come with transportation to haul it.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:58 PM

Thank you

Old 09-10-2009, 08:24 PM

1,796 posts, read 6,078,579 times
Also, people like individually priced items. A bit of extra work, but worth it. I can't tell you how many people thanked me for having a marked price. Makes it easier for them, lots of folks don't want to have to ask. Also, don't forget your smile, a warm hello for everyone, and the proverbial open arms.
Hope the you sell lots!!!!

Old 09-10-2009, 08:49 PM

Great tips, thanks!

Old 09-13-2009, 01:05 AM

9,316 posts, read 17,989,809 times
Craig's List, eBay and community bulletin boards are all good places to advertise larger items for sale. You will get more per piece there since folks looking for a specific item will pay more for that particular item than folks just wandering through your yard sale who don't specifically need the item but might buy it if the price is cheap enough. For the little stuff, a yard sale works better. At least in getting stuff to go away, you won't get as much per item at a yard sale. Otherwise, donate it to a non-profit and write it off on your taxes.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:26 AM

20,369 posts, read 25,529,428 times
I am the queen of doing yard sales. I love it. My DH thinks I'm nuts, lol. If you decide to have a yard sale here are my tips and we always got good money:

1. Wash and or clean all items.
2. Price everything clearly.
3. Make sure everything works- don't sell anything broken unless people know it's for parts.
4. Use tables- it's hard and uncomfortable for some people to lean down.
5. Make everything look like it would in a store. I love using bags and snack bags for small items. Put it into the bag, staple it closed, and price it. We once sold a ton of hardware that way.
6. There is a buyer for everything. I have even sold shampoo that I used once and didn't like. If it looks clean and is priced right you can sell anything. My motto is try to sell it if it doesn't sell you can always get rid of it, donate it, or in some cases throw it away. You have nothing to loses by putting it on a table.
7. Spread things out on the tables and make it look neat.

You can also check and see if you having any free classifieds in your area. We have a local paper that runs free ad's for 2 weeks. When I moved in with my DH I sold everything from a safe to T-posts, dog kennels, a paddle boat, to an air hockey table and everything in between. You name it I sold it.

I haven't had luck with Craig's list. I got a lot of spam responses but I've heard people do well. You can also try E-bay but I think you would make the most money if you don't have to pay any fees.

Good luck.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:07 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,438,715 times
Place like items together. Put clothes on hangers and indicate the size if you know. Don't have tables too cluttered. Serve coffee - in small paper cups. People will stay longer and browse more. If you have any quilts, coverlets, or sheet sets, indicate the size bed they fit. I have found that bedding sells very fast.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:11 PM

More great ideas, thanks again everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living