U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 01:48 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,840,578 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to sell some of our larger household items closer to our moving date, smaller items now. Been scouring the part-time job ads in our area but haven't found one yet that will fit in with my work schedule and having to be home with my son on weekday evenings. Does no one hire for just weekend stuff anymore?

I'm cutting costs around the house like I'm going to not get our Directv hooked back up for as long as my husband isn't cranky (just heard about Hulu today - where have I been?) and would like to cancel my home phone line as soon as I can find some cheap pre-paid cell phones but I'm also looking for ideas on how to make money as well as save money.

Thanks for any tips!

P.S. Legal stuff obviously
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 04:26 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,481,347 times
There's a thread with some good ideas over in the "Work Forum":

What do you do to make EXTRA Money over your 8-5 Day Job?

Old 09-11-2009, 09:26 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,840,578 times
Thanks, I'll go check it out

Old 09-22-2009, 05:54 PM

2,178 posts, read 4,716,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to sell some of our larger household items closer to our moving date, smaller items now. Been scouring the part-time job ads in our area but haven't found one yet that will fit in with my work schedule and having to be home with my son on weekday evenings. Does no one hire for just weekend stuff anymore?

I'm cutting costs around the house like I'm going to not get our Directv hooked back up for as long as my husband isn't cranky (just heard about Hulu today - where have I been?) and would like to cancel my home phone line as soon as I can find some cheap pre-paid cell phones but I'm also looking for ideas on how to make money as well as save money.

Thanks for any tips!

besides hulu there's instant-shows.com & rapidshare. very gratifying to the media needy (like my boyfriend).

i have t-mobile with the 5 faves thing & we have a grandfathered in rate. when it comes time to renew in march, if the rate isn't cont''d i'll shop around. maybe i'll go back to cricket.

kate

Old 09-24-2009, 08:12 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,602,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post

Thanks for any tips!

I don't know how much money you are looking to make at a job, but a great part time weekend job can be something as simple as a newspaper carrier. (Many times the weekend and week person is not the same on the route.) I'm not a carrier, but I do work for a newspaper and know they need responsible people all the time. Good thing is that you are done early in the morning and your son could even go with you.

Also, look in your local paper. People are always looking for someone to 'babysit' an elderly live in relative while they go out and do things with their family. People look for housesitters to come feed their pets and water their plants while they are on vacation or on business trips (another one your son could go with you to do).

Since you are moving anyway, don't buy any extra stuff. Just buy as you need things and try to use up all the food & paper goods you already have. Less to pack later.....more money saved now.

Good luck to you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living