U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-14-2009, 03:04 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,085 posts, read 7,475,570 times
Reputation: 2641

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Sometimes it's hard to by frugal...

I have almost zero trash at home... often nothing in the trash can. Most I either compost or recycle and I pay for garbage collection at work so that's always available on the rare occasion should I need it...

What is so frustrating is my City has a Mandatory Garbage Ordinance that requires every residential property to have weekly trash service... if you use it or not If you don't pay, the city pays waste management and puts a lien on your home... what a great deal... the government as bill collector and guarantor for private enterprise.

Kind of takes the incentive away from being careful with trash because how wasteful is it to pay for garbage service and then not use it
This illustrates perfectly the point I made in my last reply to user_id. There are greed-driven interests which stand to profit from waste, even though waste ultimately is a problem we ALL have to deal with. In your case, a corporate interest is using those in political power who have selfish interests to help perpetuate waste. In your case, since you are frugal, they are going to attack your money just to keep you one of the waste-producing masses who feed their profits.

As I said before, if people were properly charged for their waste, then it would be more fair and frugal people would benefit even more, while many wasteful people would look into being more frugal.

I, like you, have very little garbage most weeks. We have trash collection twice a week (separate from recyclables), on Tuesday and Friday. On Tuesday, I usually have nothing to put out on the curb. At that point I have a half full grocery bag full of garbage. I don't compost a lot of my organic waste; I have a tiny compost box which fills up and then I don't use it, I throw things like banana peels etc. in the regular garbage. Still I put out one grocery bag full of garbage once a week. I don't even bother putting it in my outdoor garbage can, which is huge; I just tie the top together and put it on the curb and it's easier for them to take.

If we were charged for waste individually, I'd benefit (assuming they break the garbage hauling costs out of our taxes). I also separate out chemicals, batteries, light bulbs, electronics, clothing, etc. and dispose of them properly, instead of in the regular garbage (as most people do).

Still, it pays to be frugal. If I were you I would (and I'm sure you do this) just throw out the bare minimum of garbage to avoid being charged. It's a crime that you are penalized for doing something that positively contributes to society while others are rewarded for creating profits for a bloated waste hauling corporation. Ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-14-2009, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,476 posts, read 17,028,796 times
Reputation: 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Taking just a few examples of your quotes, I just have one question.

What in the world are you even reading the Frugal Forum for?
I find this question odd as much of what I said is not inconsistent with many definitions of "frugal" given here.

Most of what you quoted was about retirement, so if you don't value the traditional notion of retirement are you not frugal? If you have the money and you want something new and buy it are you not frugal?

But, I was reading the frugal forum because I often post in the business, finance, etc forums and was simply looking around. I found it a bit odd to what degree the posts were about penny-pinching, hence why I created the post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2009, 10:26 PM
 
5,748 posts, read 10,537,258 times
Reputation: 4494
Reasons people peruse the frugal forum:

*casual curiosity
*inspiration
*emotional support
*because they're feeling contrary and want to argue with other forum curmudgeons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2009, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,476 posts, read 17,028,796 times
Reputation: 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
You already did argue about it with me.
Sure, and what I'm saying is that its a waste of time and I'm done.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
That's your opinion.
That is not my opinion, that is the fact of the matter. If I stopped driving a car today, or started conserving paper today it would have no measurable effect on anything. That is because I"m just one little ant out of billions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Again you miss the point.
I'm talking about economics, but clearly that was a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
We hold to the belief that by living simpler lives we reduce waste and costs and therefore live a more full life.
"We hold"...what is this some religion now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Where are you buying this "fresh ice cream"? I don't have too many options nearby - Ben & Jerry's, Haagen Dazs (sp?), Dairy Queen, Carvel, a couple mom & pops... ..Or is it another one of your myths..."
I don't know about Carvel, but the other places do not serve fresh ice cream. Fresh ice cream is a myth? Umm.....yeah okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
No, not "regardless of how long it takes"... How long it takes IS regarded, it is an important consideration.
You're not parsing the sentence correctly, my point is regardless of whether it takes 10 minutes for you to make a hamburger or more, it still takes work. Get it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
As for the ice cream, how is what I had "chemical ice cream" while what I could get out at an ice cream parlor isn't??? You keep insisiting that this is the case, yet you can't prove it. Are you completely ignorant, or just a liar?
Yes I'm a liar, there is no such thing as fresh ice cream its something I made up. Ice cream is suppose to contain a long list of exotic chemicals, that's how grandma would make it too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Totally off-topic, but if user_id is making ice cream at home from scratch, I have a hard time believing he can't make a burger in under twenty minutes.
I said that it would take me 20~30 minutes, perhaps a bit less? I have not made a hamburger at home in a long time, I only eat them when I'm out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2009, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,955 posts, read 17,087,514 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post

And BTW, I don't think you fit the definition of frugal, I think you fit user_id's definition of skinflint. Not that there's anything wrong with that but don't mistake yourself with someone whose being frugal. You are simply not spending money. There is a difference which is what we're trying to get across in this thread.
Sorry, I disagree. I spend money as I need to but I understand exactly what money is and what it isn't also. Money is an illusion that few will ever undestand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2009, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Wherever I want to be... ;)
2,539 posts, read 8,600,012 times
Reputation: 1955
We live frugally, and I don't feel deprived one bit.

We cook at home most of the time. When we do eat out, which is perhaps once every 2 weeks, we get take-out and eat at home the meal over the course of two dinners. Getting take-out saves money on beverages and tip (although I do still tip 15% on to-go orders). Typically the food we'll eat out is something that's harder to make at home (ethnic food in particular--usually Persian or Thai). We also are vegetarians, and when we make something, we try to make enough to last at least 2-3 days. We have an espresso machine and make our own lattes (which are about 10,000 times better than Starbucks', IMHO) and we eat homemade blueberry muffins for breakfast.

We don't drink alcohol. We have Netflix and rarely go out to see a movie. Since we both work from home, we don't have to spend money on "work clothing"--comfy pajamas, jeans and a few nice shirts is enough.

I exercise at a gym that's included in our rent for our condo complex, or I run outdoors.

To save on electricity, husband wrote a neato script that queries wunderground.com for weather reports every 10 minutes, and when the temp gets below 78 degrees during the day it sends us both an email--that way we can turn off the A/C and open the windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2009, 10:55 PM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,093 posts, read 12,799,191 times
Reputation: 14842
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
*because they're feeling contrary and want to argue with other forum curmudgeons

::: cleans off monitor :::

ROFL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2009, 11:03 PM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,093 posts, read 12,799,191 times
Reputation: 14842
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Getting take-out saves money on beverages and tip (although I do still tip 15% on to-go orders).
Why the tip? There was no service. It's like tipping the cashier at the fast food window.

Not being snarky! I sincerely want to know - I've never seen it done here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 12:55 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,085 posts, read 7,475,570 times
Reputation: 2641
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Sure, and what I'm saying is that its a waste of time and I'm done.

That is not my opinion, that is the fact of the matter. If I stopped driving a car today, or started conserving paper today it would have no measurable effect on anything. That is because I"m just one little ant out of billions.

I'm talking about economics, but clearly that was a mistake.

"We hold"...what is this some religion now?

I don't know about Carvel, but the other places do not serve fresh ice cream. Fresh ice cream is a myth? Umm.....yeah okay.

You're not parsing the sentence correctly, my point is regardless of whether it takes 10 minutes for you to make a hamburger or more, it still takes work. Get it?

Yes I'm a liar, there is no such thing as fresh ice cream its something I made up. Ice cream is suppose to contain a long list of exotic chemicals, that's how grandma would make it too.

I said that it would take me 20~30 minutes, perhaps a bit less? I have not made a hamburger at home in a long time, I only eat them when I'm out.
Wow, another set of irrelevant, irrational, pointless assertions that contribute nothing at all to the argument you so desired earlier, supposedly to "flesh out the meaning" of being frugal rather than be derisive... Yet here you are, plummetting deeper and deeper into illogic along with a healthy stream of derision... I was right, you're nothing but a troll.

Yes, it was a mistake for you to talk about economics; you should stick to subjects about which you know something.

What other habits do you have to avoid such harsh and unpleasant "work" as slaving and sweating to forming a patty of ground beef with your hands? Do you drink only bottled water to avoid the hard work of turning on a faucet? Do you only light your cigars with burning 100's because it's easier to get them out of your wallet and too difficult to do the hard work of digging out the 50's in your pocket? Maybe you wear clothes once and then throw them in the garbage because it's too much work to do a load of laundry, and it's easier to just buy new clothes every day, and besides, a couple hundred bucks a day is not significant to you... You wouldn't want to ruin your clothes-wearing enjoyment with the toil and labor of washing the clothes, not to mention carrying them to the washer, putting soap in, moving them to the dryer - it's an almost IMPOSSIBLE task, one of herculean proportions! It might even be harder work than making ground meat into a circle - no, now I'm being ridiculous, it's not harder than patting meat in your hand, crafting it into one of the most complex shapes, a circle!

So, are you done trolling? Have you had your fun putting the frugal people in their place, telling us that we're just a form of cheapskate environmentalists and nothing more???

Enjoy your next Big Mac meal and your "fresh ice cream" that you buy at the place you have yet to name (because it doesn't exist - the place, that is; fresh ice cream does exist, when people make it at home, but in the major ice cream shops the ice cream doesn't meet your description of "fresh ice cream", except in that major ice cream parlor that you somehow can't name even though it 'exists' )

Good luck with your uber-busy life where you can't be bothered to think of saving anything other than your "pounds".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 01:31 AM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,476 posts, read 17,028,796 times
Reputation: 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Wow, another set of irrelevant, irrational, pointless assertions that contribute nothing at all to the argument you so desired earlier, supposedly to "flesh out the meaning" of being frugal rather than be derisive... Yet here you are, plummetting deeper and deeper into illogic along with a healthy stream of derision... I was right, you're nothing but a troll.
No idea what you're yapping about I was merely responded to a few of your comments. I stopped talk about "frugality" with you a bit ago, because it is clear that what you have in mind goes far beyond simply being "frugal", which I tried to point out. In fact, your notion is almost sounding religious! This is not to say there is something wrong with it, just that it goes beyond what the word "frugal" denotes in the language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
What other habits do you have to avoid such harsh and unpleasant "work" as slaving and sweating to forming a patty of ground beef with your hands?
You see, on one side of your month you say its "relative" and the other side you say things like this. I don't enjoy making hamburgers and consider it unpleasant work, I'd much rather purchase one. You'd think what people enjoy and do not enjoy would be relevant, but apparently not.

This is why I asked whether it was relative or not, if its relative then I'm frugal in the sense that many people have mentioned in this thread. If its absolute and involves making my own food all the time, etc then I'm not frugal. But this is precisely the problem with the frugal crowd, they seem to speak out of both sides of their mouth. Eating out all the time is simply not considered frugal to them, yet they will suggest as you have that its "relative" to the person.



Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Enjoy your next Big Mac meal and your "fresh ice cream" that you buy at the place you have yet to name (because it doesn't exist - the place, that is; fresh ice cream does exist.....)
Well, you can believe whatever you wish. But many fine restaurants will serve fresh ice cream and there a number of ice cream shops that do so too. There is even a national chain that serves fresh ice cream, namely Cold stone. Although, in fairest they do include a few emulsifiers in their ice cream to improve the texture, but its made fresh daily in your standard ice cream makers and includes far less crap than ice cream at the grocery store. I'm not sure why you think that you can only make fresh ice cream in your home, as if nobody as thought of selling it?!

A simple search for "Home made ice cream shop" will reveal a number of such businesses...

And yes, I'll focus on the pounds and leave the pennies for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top