Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 06:27 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,141 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this subject has been talked about here before. Some friends and I do alot of canning. We live in a small town and there are alot of older homes with mature fruit trees. When apricots came into season, we went to several houses and asked if we could pick their fruit. Everyone we have asked said yes. They rarely eat the fruit and it just makes a mess in their yards. Most were older folks and they were happy to hear a group of younger moms were canning fruit. So far this year we have picked apricots, peaches, chokecherries, plums, apples, grapes and soon there will be walnuts.

I am sure many of you have plum and apple trees that are ready to pick in your areas. It never hurts to ask if you can pick some fruit. Today I am working to can and dehydrate two 5 gallon buckets full of plums. I also have huge box of grapes waiting to be juiced and made into jelly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 08:18 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,184 times
We do a lot with apples here (Maine) while in CA hubby did a lot of field gleening (picking the week after the commerical pick, but before it got plowed under)

It's a great way to get only time invested produce. And doing it with others, is a great social time as well.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:57 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,237 times
I've had access to some blueberries for the last two years. There is a row of large bushes that produce large southern blueberries on the property of a McMansion development nearby. With the recession the development hasn't developed very much and nobody else is even interested in picking them. I get a gallon or two and freeze them.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:33 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
A friend of mine harvests blackberries growing on a vacant lot near her home. I'd do the same if I had the chance.

Call your local small grocery store and tell them you like ripe fruit for canning and when they have extra cases of ripe fruit you'd be interested in buying it at a discount. Fruit goes bad real quick after it ripens and the store wouldn't be able to sell it fast enough so if they sell it to you at a discount they can lessen their losses.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:15 PM

187 posts, read 636,167 times
very smart mothers!!!!...this is the best..we are canning all every year in europe..healthy and teh best...

Old 10-03-2009, 08:40 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
I don't know if this subject has been talked about here before. Some friends and I do alot of canning. We live in a small town and there are alot of older homes with mature fruit trees. When apricots came into season, we went to several houses and asked if we could pick their fruit. Everyone we have asked said yes. They rarely eat the fruit and it just makes a mess in their yards. Most were older folks and they were happy to hear a group of younger moms were canning fruit. So far this year we have picked apricots, peaches, chokecherries, plums, apples, grapes and soon there will be walnuts.
HINT! Slip a couple of jars of preserves with a thank you note to the people who gave you the fruit and you will have a friend for life (and be welcome to come back the following year).

Old 10-03-2009, 07:31 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
HINT! Slip a couple of jars of preserves with a thank you note to the people who gave you the fruit and you will have a friend for life (and be welcome to come back the following year).
Yep, we did that! The people that let us pick fruit were very happy that we did.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:23 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
Yep, we did that! The people that let us pick fruit were very happy that we did.
You'd be amazed at the number of people who:

1) help themselves.
2) assume because they were granted permission once, they can come back for more the following year (and not ask first).

A lot of orchards will also let you cull fruit after the first freeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living