U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:02 PM

9,038 posts, read 13,889,778 times

Advertisements

Quality organic food is NOT where I would cut back. You are what you eat. Eating conventional American Food that is genetically engineered, irradiated, injected with hormones or now lunchmeat that is covered with a virus "approved by the FDA" as a preservative (if that makes you feel any better --it never did me ---knowing that the FDA is more about protecting the food and drug industry than protecting you and me) is HAZARDOUS to your long term health. You may think you are being prudent saving on food bills buying cheap poor quality over processed foods but you might regret it later on.... Seeds of Deception - Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) Cover-up. Genetically Engineered Food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 10:07 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
pack your lunch and dont eat out save money and lose 20 lbs.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:49 PM

3,022 posts, read 5,543,039 times
To the previous posters that responded to my post, if you re-read my post, you won't find ANY form of opinion about what system would fit America best, but was to remind Americans that they actually don't pay a whole lot in taxes - never have.

I have a B.S. in history, by the way, have lived in multiple countries, and have visited and studied dozens.

Attack me if you want, but the point is simple: in comparison, we don't pay much in taxes. And get over yourselves about taxation without representation - who funded our entire enterprise? Did James I bankroll the colonies out of good will? If properly calculated today, the taxes the British fielded up until the revolution accounted for approximately 1-2% of the income of the colonies. Yes, it is my stance (and many others) that it IS infantile.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:40 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,557,510 times
I am just about as frugal as I can be. I am active politically but the work has had little effect in "tax free" New Hampshire. Taxes are just there and have to be paid. I minimize the payments by not owning things with high taxable value.

Where I save money is buying used cars for cash and keeping them running until the rust has made them too expensive to fix or too dangerous to drive. This saves paying bank interest on loans and losing the initial depreciation on a new car. I also bring my lunch to work for a savings of about $50 per week. I take the bus from home to Boston for less cost than parking in Boston. I let the house become chilly in winter and hot in summer. I don't go to many movies and our TV is 10+ years old.

We do pay a condo fee but the fee is just about what I would have to spend on outside maintenance anyway and I get access to almost 50 acres of park like grassland to walk around. I just installed a new water heater to replace a 15 yr old heated bought at discount. I did pay a plumber (off the books) to carry the things because I am no longer strong enough to move the water heaters up and down stairs. Because I put unions (plumbing not labor) in the pipes the actual plumbing took about two minutes and the electrical hook up five more. The new heater is a GE bought at Home Despot. I figure it is will last another 15 years or so.

Another way to save money is to only buy what you need and not what you want. I have seen my standard of living steadily decrease since some fools elected Ronnie Raygun. Trickle down economy my shiny hiney.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:22 AM

4,281 posts, read 9,278,761 times
We got rid of our cell phones. Haven't missed those electronic leashes one bit, and the extra cash every month is wonderful. Hubby does have one for work because it is a necessity.

For us eating healthy (I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian) and exercising daily, definitely cuts down on trips to the doctors and the pharmacy. An unhealthy lifestyle sure is a money gobbler in the short and long term. I see extended family members shelling out a fortune, when only a few changes in their daily lives would save them a lot more than money.

Last edited by tet tea; 09-29-2009 at 08:38 AM..

Old 09-29-2009, 09:00 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,274,679 times
Quote:
For us: the dishwasher & the clothes dryer.
We've started using our dishwasher for a drying rack. We do the dishes by hand then put them in the dishwasher racks to dry.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:31 AM

8,649 posts, read 14,872,641 times
"Money Gobblers"

Top less bars....

Old 09-29-2009, 02:16 PM

5,119 posts, read 9,416,029 times
Insurance premiums of all types seem to be gobbling up our budget. We sure pay a bunch for 'peace of mind.' Or are we cowed into thinking we need home and health insurance? The car is mandated, but the other coverages? Not so sure...just got the run-down on long-term care insurance...now that's depressing!

Old 09-29-2009, 03:42 PM

429 posts, read 599,239 times
I dont buy snacks at the movies I smuggle them in my purse.I also dont go to the movies as often,usually there are some good ones out of the red box.I also have a very nice apt.that offers basic cable and internet that does not go through my phone line .An advantage is I can be on the internet as long as I want.I have unlimited calling with the same provider as my cell phone so only the husband ,kids and a select few have my cell number.Thus not using my cell much I was able to drop my plan down and save a few dollars a month.I try to groom the dogs myself and that saves about 100 per month or more.I have given up having my nails done.Thus far in the last 4 months i have saved approximately $300 dollars just from not getting them done bi weekly!

Old 09-29-2009, 04:53 PM

9,038 posts, read 13,889,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
pack your lunch and dont eat out save money and lose 20 lbs.
Right and grow your own produce with non hybrid seeds or seedlings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living