U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-05-2009, 08:31 AM
 
2,962 posts, read 2,869,867 times
Reputation: 2839

Advertisements

I moved from NJ (had Geico) to SC (All State). I was in a pinch and had to switch my insurance earlier than I wanted to (long story, not worth it). I wound up paying more for All State than I was with Geico, even though I had one less car. And the coverage itself was far less. I was not pleased.

A year later I piggybacked my car and home insurance together with Farm Bureau. My car insurance dropped by 600/yr for the identical coverage. No complaints yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-05-2009, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Way South of the Volvo Line
2,776 posts, read 6,964,466 times
Reputation: 2824
I would be wary of those low cost, constantly advertised insurers. they may leave you with more money in your pocket monthly but stiff you when it comes to a hefty claim. I had a middle of the road auto insurance years ago that just narrowly defended me against a suing plaintiff in a low speed fender bender that happened nearly 7 years ago. If I remember correctly back then, my insurance wanted to make my car repairs with cheap fiberglass instead of the oem parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2009, 01:30 PM
 
Location: where the moss is taking over the villages
2,178 posts, read 4,710,379 times
Reputation: 1229
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I've been happy with Geico since they blew All State out of the water a few years ago, but I'd be remiss if I didn't shop around. What is the almighty Frugal Community paying for that piece of paper, and to whom?
I have a company like what M3Mitch describes...

I don't know if it's a "good" deal but I pay monthly now at a rate of ~$65/mo for full coverage on a Sport Explorer. I don't have any other plan combined with it nor are there any other drivers on the plan.

My agent put my policy through Sublimity in Sublimity, Oregon.

Kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 10-05-2009 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: perspective
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Where the real happy cows reside!
4,281 posts, read 9,277,556 times
Reputation: 10414
We just saved over $200 on our motorcycle coverage with Progressive. Got the bill, called them up and asked questions. It's amazing what you find out if you just ask. Because we can't ride for almost five to six months of the year due to the weather, we reduced the coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 06:52 PM
 
8,780 posts, read 16,243,214 times
Reputation: 5219
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
A few of the guys here say the same when their company claimed against Geico. So, it's better to be with them than against them?
Not. When they play games and try to avoid paying fair and legitimate claims, it forces the aggrieved to file suit. Lawsuits= More $$$$$ paid out on the claim. Guess who will be paying for it? You. Even if you left Geico and obtained a policy from someone else, you'll still be paying based upon the final amount that was paid on the claim. It's better to be insured by a reputable company that will do the right thing if you're unfortunate enough to have an at-fault accident. You'll save $$$$ in the end, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 08:29 AM
 
19,922 posts, read 9,806,303 times
Reputation: 27336
I've been with GEICO for almost 40 years. I have maximum coverage and pay less than $500 for two cars (in New York, which is quite good!). My wife was recently in an accident. GEICO determined that she was not at fault and went after the other driver's insurance company to pay for the repairs, including my deductible - which was returned to me with a few short weeks of the accident. I can't imagine ever switching as the coverage, the price and the service have always been A+ for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 04:10 PM
 
5,019 posts, read 12,468,097 times
Reputation: 6952
Quote:
What is the almighty Frugal Community paying for that piece of paper, and to whom?
Zero dollars. Car-free is the way to go if you can swing it.

In the interest of disclosure, I should mention that we do have one vehicle in the household that I can use on occasion (such as taking the cat to the vet this afternoon... ).

Even before I sold my car, I was mainly a bicycle commuter. I insured my car "for pleasure, not for work or school" and saved a bundle. If you only use an automobile occasionally and drive less than 10K miles per year, you might want to look into that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Utah
4,968 posts, read 13,996,516 times
Reputation: 4922
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Zero dollars. Car-free is the way to go if you can swing it.

In the interest of disclosure, I should mention that we do have one vehicle in the household that I can use on occasion (such as taking the cat to the vet this afternoon... ).

Even before I sold my car, I was mainly a bicycle commuter. I insured my car "for pleasure, not for work or school" and saved a bundle. If you only use an automobile occasionally and drive less than 10K miles per year, you might want to look into that.
I drive less than 10k per year. But I drive to/from work. Bicycle is not an option during the cold, snowy utah winters.

I've always been a car dependent person. Good for you to be so healthy with your bicycle and gentle on the environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 12:32 PM
 
575 posts, read 827,238 times
Reputation: 542
Default frugality and insurance

Is there such a thing?

Wondering what some of you frugalers would do?

I know that insurance rates are based on credit ratings, among other many important factors. I will openly admit the credit is dinged all to hades and beyond in this economy. The rest of it however, no tickets, no accidents, no sports cars, steady employment, owned and lived in the same home forever.

I am currently with a big national name brand for insurance (auto).

I have a teen daughter. The very best they will offer for her auto ins. (95 toyota) is $127/mo. That's bare bone coverage (which I hate and makes me bite my nails everytime she gets behind the wheel). That's the very minimum allowed by law, as far as coverages.

I have priced it elsewhere, and the very best I could do otherwise, was some knock off brand, that I'd never heard of, at a whopping $116/month.

Now, in the best of all worlds, one would tell the teen daughter to park it. Mom and dad can't afford the ins. Which is the truth (thus above, credit seriously dinged, this economy has hit us hard, in the income earning capacity).

But I "do" consider driving to be one of those important "life skills" that teens need to learn. So parking it, is not really an option that I want to persue.

As to the teen trying to get a job. Read the stats and I'm here to tell you they are true. She tried all summer long, to get a job. Stats say that the age group of 16-24 yo's, ........... the highest in unemployment, ever. It's the truth. She tried movie theaters, restaurants, grocery stores, retails, you name it. Nothing. Continues to try, nothing so far.

The rule always before, for her older siblings, no job to pay for insurance, no ticket to ride. But that was "before", this "new economy".

Thus far, no jobs to be had, for her to help fund her own insurance.

What would some of you frugalers do? Would you park it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 25,784,820 times
Reputation: 16226
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
Is there such a thing?

Wondering what some of you frugalers would do?

I know that insurance rates are based on credit ratings, among other many important factors. I will openly admit the credit is dinged all to hades and beyond in this economy. The rest of it however, no tickets, no accidents, no sports cars, steady employment, owned and lived in the same home forever.

I am currently with a big national name brand for insurance (auto).

I have a teen daughter. The very best they will offer for her auto ins. (95 toyota) is $127/mo. That's bare bone coverage (which I hate and makes me bite my nails everytime she gets behind the wheel). That's the very minimum allowed by law, as far as coverages.

I have priced it elsewhere, and the very best I could do otherwise, was some knock off brand, that I'd never heard of, at a whopping $116/month.

Now, in the best of all worlds, one would tell the teen daughter to park it. Mom and dad can't afford the ins. Which is the truth (thus above, credit seriously dinged, this economy has hit us hard, in the income earning capacity).

But I "do" consider driving to be one of those important "life skills" that teens need to learn. So parking it, is not really an option that I want to persue.

As to the teen trying to get a job. Read the stats and I'm here to tell you they are true. She tried all summer long, to get a job. Stats say that the age group of 16-24 yo's, ........... the highest in unemployment, ever. It's the truth. She tried movie theaters, restaurants, grocery stores, retails, you name it. Nothing. Continues to try, nothing so far.

The rule always before, for her older siblings, no job to pay for insurance, no ticket to ride. But that was "before", this "new economy".

Thus far, no jobs to be had, for her to help fund her own insurance.

What would some of you frugalers do? Would you park it?

My 17 year old brother couldn't find a job, but needs the vehicle to get to school and sports. My parents worked out a pretty intense 'chore list' so he could work off the insurance bill (plus other little things he requested her and there). He 'works' at least 20 hours a week at my parents (and grandparents on occasion) place to earn his keep. Maybe you could try something like that with your daughter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top