U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:23 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,548,929 times

Advertisements

I've been happy with Geico since they blew All State out of the water a few years ago, but I'd be remiss if I didn't shop around. What is the almighty Frugal Community paying for that piece of paper, and to whom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 11:57 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I've been happy with Geico since they blew All State out of the water a few years ago, but I'd be remiss if I didn't shop around. What is the almighty Frugal Community paying for that piece of paper, and to whom?
Every company rates every individual differently. Shop around and you might find that the best deals are NOT at those firms that advertise constantly.

I am lucky. My company offers a group plan with MetLife. I go out and shop it every two years. Usually, the "name brands" are at least double on the vehicle insurance/

Old 10-01-2009, 01:30 PM

4,968 posts, read 13,993,226 times
After decades with Allstate, I switched to State Farm for both my auto & home owners.

For me, Allstate was the highest, then Geico, then Farmers. These were the only providers I considered as I refused to give out my SSN or my DL number just to get a quote. I know I'll have to give that information up if I decide to get coverage from any one of them. I was upfront with my driving record, number of claims, my FICO score, details about my home and I provided my car's VIN. Why should I have to give out my SSN & DL# for a quote?

State Farm had lower auto than Farmers, but Farmers had lower home owners premiums. I liked the customer service and accessibility with State Farm so I went with them.

I saved $341 for six months of coverage by switching. I made sure I compared deductibles, coverage and add ons so that it was a fair and accurate comparison.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:39 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times
I'm keen on State Farm myself. For some reason I didn't have a very good view of them, something someone told me about them being expensive over 15+ years ago, but I recently got several quotes from them for Home and Auto, and Auto with a soon-to-be-licenced teenage driver. YIKES! I've been with CSAA forever and have no complaints,but I'm thinking it's time to switch it up a bit for some cost savings.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:10 PM

They use your credit score as a character reference - surely you must conduct your life just as you do your finances, right?

I shopped Progressive, and they beat the lizard by $180/yr. So I shopped Geico online and got a great quote, beating Progressive's! I then called Geico - couldn't speak to the lizard directly - and explained that I was a current customer who's shopping, and just got a smoking quote online from them.

The rep immediately ran a redirect, end around, flea flicker on me (like I knew he would) and tried to say that my real world experience was different than my online application. "Sorry, I was honest", I say.

They lowered my bill by $5/month - to be continued.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:00 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,701,155 times
Best bet is to go to an independent insurance agency that works with multiple companies. So far I am with Unigard, they have been good to work with, previously I have been mostly with Farmer's or Mutual of Enumclaw.

A half-dozen of us could go in to my insurance agent, she would probably write each of us with a different company, they each have their quirks.

I, personally dont like GEICO, they try to wiggle out of paying claims. Of course, every decent businessman/woman works to minimize their expenses, or goes broke. But there is a normal approach of wanting one to prove the claim is legit, and there is the GEICO approach, which strikes me as something worse. GEICO won't write older cars, which means I have never used them, (and they immediately get on my bad side by doing that...)but from others experiences...

Old 10-01-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I, personally dont like GEICO, they try to wiggle out of paying claims.
A few of the guys here say the same when their company claimed against Geico. So, it's better to be with them than against them? I've got my quote from Progressive, and after we talk it over tonight I'll probably have a new, cheaper policy by in the morning.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:14 PM

16,840 posts, read 51,286,023 times
Travelers gave us a far lower quote, enough lower that I stuck collision back on our old van, upped the limits, and STILL made out with it costing less.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:49 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
i had a freind who had Geico . When his rear window on his truck got broken ina road hazrd he learned real quick why he got a better rate. His standard $500 dedcutable was on glass coverage too.Mine $50.00.Its liike buying any insurance ;amke sure to read the coverage and exclusions. Its easy to cut coverage and lower rates.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,774 posts, read 37,441,293 times
FCIS just gave me a better quote than my existing 'Country Companies' which I've used for 15 yrs. Previous 20 yrs with State Farm. I need a flexible company, as I have ~ 20 vehicles + rental props + investment land + businesses that I have to keep all insured with same company to keep uniform umbrella coverage.

rates vary a lot, and depend on age, credit, home ownership, multi-policy discounts... I was trying to get a 'good-student-discount', but they don't offer it to antique students. (those considerably older than their prof)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living