U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 06:49 AM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,096 posts, read 1,831,339 times

Advertisements

I've read a lot about keeping your car in good working order. It saves on gas usage (short term) but it also saves down the line, with the car lasting longer, less overall repair bills.

Updated wills is another place where your investment pays off down the line. Recently there have been some deaths in our family. The wills were not updated, and it caused problems. There has been a lot of money spent on lawyers, newspaper ads, phone calls etc...all because the wills weren't updated. After reading the out dated wills, I really don't think that paying all these fees was were they wanted their (small) estate to be going.

So what are some other things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 07:04 AM

10,485 posts, read 22,554,889 times
Buying cheap electronic products. For example, Buying a Vizio television instead of a Panasonic. It might be cheaper at first, but in the long run the better product will save you money since it will last much longer. Same thing goes for buying crappy cars such as a Kia.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:44 AM

8,095 posts, read 12,743,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
I've read a lot about keeping your car in good working order. It saves on gas usage (short term) but it also saves down the line, with the car lasting longer, less overall repair bills.

Updated wills is another place where your investment pays off down the line. Recently there have been some deaths in our family. The wills were not updated, and it caused problems. There has been a lot of money spent on lawyers, newspaper ads, phone calls etc...all because the wills weren't updated. After reading the out dated wills, I really don't think that paying all these fees was were they wanted their (small) estate to be going.

So what are some other things?

Home maintenance.
Fix the little things before they turn into big things.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:00 AM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,096 posts, read 1,831,339 times
Although I agree that home electronics is an area where cheap is not the way to go. I'm not sure that it's in the same as "things you really need to find the money to do" like the home repair (that was a good one) or the car.

But then again, I live out in the woods, with no tv, cable. My one electronic toy is this thing, and it's about 5 years old, purchased as a rebuilt.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:27 AM

7,091 posts, read 10,488,886 times
Stopping eating out always saves money, and the more you cook the better you become at it (and less you are conditioned to eat out).

Old 10-07-2009, 08:13 AM

4,281 posts, read 9,278,761 times
Completely agree with the home and car repair. Letting these go to ruin can cost BIG bucks in the long run. We're currently seeing a family member struggling because they didn't take care of their property.

I think investing in new energy efficient appliances, windows, etc is a good thing for saving money down the line. We installed a pellet stove in the basement this year, and are doing our homework on a tankless water heater system. Another plus is they're offering tax breaks on it at the moment.

Online banking is also a money saver. Our online bank offers much better rates than the regular banks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living