U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 10:22 PM

4 posts, read 10,013 times

Advertisements

Ok tax time is right around the corner again so I have decided not to wait till the very last minute getting things together this year. With the new Obama administration in office I was wondering what was available this year to us in the form of new tax credits and deductions. I know there is a tax credit on certain energy star electric heaters and other appliances. I’m hoping there is more. Has anyone come across other tax credits/deductions not so visibly publicized?

According to: http://energystar.custhelp.com
There are 3 types of water heaters covered by a tax credit:

1) Gas, Oil, and Propane Water Heaters with an Energy Factor of at least .82 OR a thermal efficiency of
At least 90%.
Tax credit is 30% of the cost, up to $1,500, including installation, in 2009 and 2010.

2) Electric Heat Pump Water Heaters are covered if they have an Energy Factor of at least
Tax credit is 30% of the cost, up to $1,500, including installation, in 2009 and 2010.

3) Solar Water Heaters are covered if at least half of the energy generated comes from the
sun and the system is certified by the Solar Rating and Certification Corporation (SRCC).
Tax credit is for 30% of the cost, including installation, with no upper limit, through 2016.

Water heaters NOT eligible for the tax credit:
Electric storage tank water heaters
Electric tankless water heaters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 03:55 PM

4,970 posts, read 14,014,533 times
The only other appliance I know of is an A/C unit with a SEER rating >= 16.

You can also get money back from the federal government for attic insulation with a minimal R value, and new energy efficient windows.

Here's a list of what tax credits are available.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:35 PM

4,538 posts, read 7,986,947 times
I need a new refrigerator

Virginia's 2009 Sales Tax Holidays: May through October

Virginia October Sales Tax Holiday: Energy Star and WaterSense Qualified Products October 9-12, 2009

Old 10-11-2009, 12:11 AM

4 posts, read 10,013 times
Hi guys,
Thank you for the response. I have found out that theres a tax credit if you had a new roof installed this year. I will keep looking and posting what I find. Have a great weekend!

Old 10-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 1,861,596 times
I keep watching for the appliance option as well and so far - nothing except for a water heater, furnace, ac unit.. But check your state and local to see if there are rebates through them.
My area.. there is for GE appliances (certain lines)...

The energy saver tax credit applies to some (not all) brands/types of:
- insulation... attic or crawlspace (Sideing w/insualation is NOT covered)
- storm doors or new entry doors (check the manufacture)
- windows - check the manufacture
- ac units, heaters, water heater - check the manufacture.

not all manufactures/brands/lines will qualify so check the manufacturers website and do not rely on a sales associate to say "Yep..."

- washing machines and dryers... local govts give rebates if you purchase one that is on their list... (i got a $100 rebate on my washer through my city govt.).
- Toilets... again... local govt will give you a rebate.

Depending on where you live..
- some local govts give you a rebate/credit for xeroscaping... or doing a % of zeroscape... (one of the towns in the state did this a couple years ago)

In this metro area if you worked/lived in a certain zip code (downtown) they gave out checks at the end of summer if you used public transportation x % of the time over your own vehicle... it was like a couple hundred dollars..

Also check your energy companies website for any rebates/plans they have going on... My energy company was offering some kind of free program for signing up for something during the summer - i didn't qualify as i don't have central air.

check your local/state govt websites regarding energy conservation..

Old 10-17-2009, 05:49 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,592,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfrielDotCom View Post
Hi guys,
Thank you for the response. I have found out that theres a tax credit if you had a new roof installed this year. I will keep looking and posting what I find. Have a great weekend!
This is the information I found out about the new roof tax credit:

Quote:
The Federal income tax credits are part of the “American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009”. An energy efficient new roof entitles you to claim a tax credit for 30% of the cost of the materials (not installation cost) for your new roof, up to a total maximum credit in a single year of $1,500. There are hundreds of roofing options for any type roof that meet the requirements to qualify for the tax credit. A complete list of list of qualifying roofing materials is available at the EnergyStar web site. You will find everything from insulating, highly-reflective coatings that can be applied to flat roofs, to [COLOR=#1F7F25 ! important][COLOR=#1F7F25 ! important]roofing [COLOR=#1F7F25 ! important]tiles[/color][/color][/color]
made in a variety of colors and styles that offer both insulation and durability for homes in the south, southwest and beyond, to new longer-lasting and more efficient asphalt shingles, to new foam insulated [COLOR=#1F7F25 ! important][COLOR=#1F7F25 ! important]metal [COLOR=#1F7F25 ! important]roofing[/color][/color][/color] systems.
From: Energy Efficient Roof and Help from the Recovery Act of 2009 - article by RemodelOrMove.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living