Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 03:33 AM

26 posts, read 83,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Try some of your local Latin/Hispanic markets.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Your Post, yellowsnow , was succinct, clear and very helpful!

Jimm in California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 10:11 AM

746 posts, read 1,324,016 times
I drive as little as possible, and go to all the stores for groceries the same day, or go one direction one week, and the other direction the next week. Food is determined by the cost per 2000 calories, rather then cost per pound. For example 1560 calories of dried lentils cost less than $1, compared to 150 calories of frozen strawberries for $1.69. This is $1.25 for 2000 calories for lentils and $22.53 for strawberries. Both weigh one pound.

I pushed a freezer home 2 miles on a piano dolly because I don't have a truck, then converted the freezer to a fridge with a temperature switch, and have a separate freezer. I am looking forward to putting radiant barrier on the tops and around the compressor boxes, which should save quite a bit more. I'm getting radiant barrier for the attic. Utilities are at the minimum, heading downward. I am getting bubblewrap to help insulate the windows that are not being used for a few. I might sew radiant barrier to the insides of roman shades and curtains.

I "bathe" with a washcloth from a 1 gallon plastic bowl in the tub, taking as long as I want, then finish with a 2 to 3 minute shower. This saves both water and heating of the water. I wash my running togs in the same bucket (separate fills), and any other small items, instead of using the washing machine. I hang up clothes instead of using the dryer, which never gets used. I see value in bargains that are used, and get rid of things that are not.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:43 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,095 times
Things I've always done:

* purchasing generic brands
* brown bagging lunch instead of buying it
* I do my own hair and nails
* drink tap

Things I've never done:

* dry cleaning
* had premium cable channels
* buy coffee in the morning

Old 11-16-2009, 12:27 PM

840 posts, read 3,466,287 times
Default Christmas ideas that cost nothing or very little to help others

Well, shoot, I wasn't sure where to post this info so I had posted it on a different forum:
How to help others this holiday season, without spending any money

Old 11-28-2009, 07:57 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,949,452 times
Make homemade soups. Very economical. We always have left overs to do this, a ham bone for pea soup, chicken for chicken soup or stew. Bean soups are cheap. Pasta e fagoli (Italian pasta and bean soup) goes a long way. Make a nice pot then freeze them in small containers. Canned soups are not for me plus they have lots of salt.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:40 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Last wk my wife and I sat through a time share presentation (80 minutes). We received a 3/2night vegas vacation for roughly $100 (cost of airfare + hotel) + a $250 gas rebate....

We definitely 'saved' money on a vacation...lol

Old 11-29-2009, 05:50 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
It's been touched on here in a lot of posts already but I will mention it again. One of the best ways to save money, and it's quite significant over time, is to learn to cook and even better learn to cook from basic ingredients.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:02 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,949,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
It's been touched on here in a lot of posts already but I will mention it again. One of the best ways to save money, and it's quite significant over time, is to learn to cook and even better learn to cook from basic ingredients.
I touched on this in my post above with making soups. Now if you cook on a regular basis, not only do you save money but you may have leftovers to turn around and make soup.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:21 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
As to driving, we drive slowly. Here's a true example. One of our vehicles is a shameless SUV- Ford Escape. In cruise control, I get 34 MPG at 55 MPH. That's not bad. If I drive 65, it drops to about 28 MPG.
I'd love to hear you explain this to us. The Ford Escape gets an EPA estimated 28 mpg in the 2010 model. Even the 4cyl Hybrid version tops out at a combined 30 mpg. And we all know that those EPA estimates are best case scenario that most people never acheive. So what is it you did or do, to that vehicle to increase it's efficiency so much that you actually BEAT the EPA estimates?

Old 11-30-2009, 12:07 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I'd love to hear you explain this to us. The Ford Escape gets an EPA estimated 28 mpg in the 2010 model. Even the 4cyl Hybrid version tops out at a combined 30 mpg. And we all know that those EPA estimates are best case scenario that most people never acheive. So what is it you did or do, to that vehicle to increase it's efficiency so much that you actually BEAT the EPA estimates?
They are probably basing it off of the computer's estimation on the dash. I regularly beat EPA estimates on multi-hour cruise control drives. Don't know how accurate the onboard computer is at calculating mileage, though.

Either way, the point still stands. Driving habits can affect mileage, though it may be to an extreme penny pinching amount. It wouldn't surprise me if combining an errand or two into one excurstion would completley negate the gas saved from driving differently. If you're on a multi-hour trip, 10 miles an hour might be worth the extra bit of gas money it takes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living