U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 11:03 PM

12,671 posts, read 20,489,997 times

Advertisements

I think its the lower to middle class that spends a lot of money.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:03 PM

5,610 posts, read 6,480,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
or Thrift shops.
This drives me nuts, I hate when people who are well to do shop at places like Goodwill or when people buy donated items to resell on eBay. Those goods were donated with the idea that it would go to someone who needs it at a low cost. Of course I don't give a hoot who shops at a second hand store thta pays cash for the goods the stock, but a person who is not in need shopping at a place where goods are donated really irks me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Those people shouldn't have married and this illustrates why conversations about things like money and lifestyle need to happen before the ring goes on the finger.
Never heard of true love?

Quote:
No wonder millions of folks defaulted on their loans. Lot of folks buy high when they get a high paying job but what about the rainy day fund? What if you lose your job?
It boggles my mind how many people don't have a rainy day fund. It is so simple to find one small thing to cut out each week and put the saved money into a savings account, before you know it you'll have sums of money you never thought you could have saved. Even 20 bucks a week is over 1,000 by the end of the year - How many struggling would ever believe they could save that much? Not many. Yet they go out and buy expensive toys, get pets, go out to eat.

I have so many friends like this, it is so hard for me to feel any sympathy when the rainy days come.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:46 PM

Thats a very smart thing to do. Thats how you make a profit. Good point though.

Maybe these donation companies should check their W2 statements for the year before giving it out?

Rainy Day/Emergency fund should be the 1st goal and not buying disposable items just because there is left over money after paying the bills. No wonder people live paycheck to paycheck. You are only digging yourself a bigger hole if you don't have rainy day fund.

Also it does not hurt to work Overtime when you don't need it. People only do Overtime when they really need the money. Many people don't even have 401K because they think they can't afford it, sad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
This drives me nuts, I hate when people who are well to do shop at places like Goodwill or when people buy donated items to resell on eBay. Those goods were donated with the idea that it would go to someone who needs it at a low cost. Of course I don't give a hoot who shops at a second hand store thta pays cash for the goods the stock, but a person who is not in need shopping at a place where goods are donated really irks me.

Never heard of true love?

It boggles my mind how many people don't have a rainy day fund. It is so simple to find one small thing to cut out each week and put the saved money into a savings account, before you know it you'll have sums of money you never thought you could have saved. Even 20 bucks a week is over 1,000 by the end of the year - How many struggling would ever believe they could save that much? Not many. Yet they go out and buy expensive toys, get pets, go out to eat.

I have so many friends like this, it is so hard for me to feel any sympathy when the rainy days come.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:17 AM

25,801 posts, read 49,697,815 times
Quote:
Maybe you should let Goodwill, etal, know your sentiments...

Several thrift shops here advertise from time to time... often just before Halloween... The advertisements are geared to those that would not ordinary think of thrift shop shopping...

Looking for that perfect unique costume... looking for name brands at bargain prices...

A retail shop means testing customers is a bad idea in my opinion...

Old 11-12-2009, 03:35 PM

5,610 posts, read 6,480,616 times
Advertising around Halloween could be just to get rid of the goofier clothing :-p and clear some room for new stock! lol

Correct me if I am wrong, but you can deduct donations to goodwill from your taxes, this makes them a charity in my opinion. And it seems wrong for people who aren't in need to utilize a charity, or worse, utilize it for profit by reselling the items. Though, I don't think Goodwill should check W2s because you are the best judge of whether or not you are in need.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:20 PM

Any online thrift stores?

Old 11-12-2009, 08:07 PM

8,095 posts, read 12,740,520 times
Quote:
Any online thrift stores?
Ebay

Old 11-12-2009, 09:04 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,406,838 times
I just had a coworker tell me I always look so nice, and then where did I get my dress. That's SUCH a rude question. Anyway, I got it from the thrift store and I told her! She looked a little shocked, but there's no shame in my game. Yes, I got my dress for less than it costs to dry clean it.

On topic?

Um, I know some multi-millionaires and millionaires. Are they even considered wealthy? Well, the people I know who have millions are pretty down to earth, but I guess it depends. One couple spends a LOT of money on vacations and trips to hippie music shows and they spent a TON of money on their house. Other than that, they don't talk about money a lot or wear fancy diamonds or anything. They do have housekeeper, but some of the middle-class people I know have housekeepers, so that doesn't seem out of line. The difference is that the rich people don't have to work, and the middle class people have to depend on their jobs to continue to afford the housekeeper.

I guess they're like anyone else, but if they want to go to Ireland for a month or something like that, they can. I know one woman who lives in a smaller house, but wears a lot of expensive jewelry. I guess that is just her thing, but other than that she's very down to earth.

So I don't know if rich people are frugal. The people I know are not billionaires, and I think that a few million may not give you a sense of security so they're afraid to spend a lot of money, but I do know a couple of people with fancy cars etc. Again, their attitude is pretty down to earth. I don't know any rich person who is TOTALLY frugal. They just seem to spend money on things they find important. If it's not something flashy like a boxter, then it's a special charity, or collecting something or traveling. (no spell check)

Old 11-12-2009, 09:29 PM

25,801 posts, read 49,697,815 times
Quote:
Advertising around Halloween could be just to get rid of the goofier clothing :-p and clear some room for new stock! lol

Correct me if I am wrong, but you can deduct donations to goodwill from your taxes, this makes them a charity in my opinion. And it seems wrong for people who aren't in need to utilize a charity, or worse, utilize it for profit by reselling the items. Though, I don't think Goodwill should check W2s because you are the best judge of whether or not you are in need.
For most of us... the standard deduction is more advantageous than itemizing...

The only donation I was able to write-off was a car... and the value was $500... which lowered my income for the year by $500.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Ebay
Besides that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living