Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 11:38 PM

102 posts, read 272,226 times

Advertisements

Many people would be 'rich' or at least have alot more $$$ than they do if they lived within their means and stop trying to live it up.....it doesn't hurt to tighten your belt and live in an ugly apartment and save for something better than living in a Post property and can never leave because the rent is darn expensive....

Rich people watch their spending - poor and sometimes stupid people call them MEAN and STINGY - but who has more money ?? lmao -it is hilarious...to be rich u have to give up alot of stuff until u can enough to even be able to donate some to charity....

If u smoke - smoke less....if u drink coffe - cut down your coffee store visits...use cold water to wash your hands than run the water for 3 mins to get it warm for a few seconds...cut home phone if u can use a cell...use coupons...rich people do and then save their money for bigger and better stuff...and lastly rich people are usually slim - EAT LESS !!!!

Old 10-31-2009, 12:38 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Yes...

I was thinking of Larry Ellison of Oracle... he is listed as one of the worlds richest men and even with all his money, he is restricted on when his plane can land at San Jose' International Airport...

The San Jose's Mercury News runs stories about many of the Valleys Uber Wealthy and the problems they run into with zoning regulations... so just having money, or lots of it... doesn't equate with having the freedom to do what you want... at least not All of the time
I grew up in San Jose.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:43 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmaol View Post
Many people would be 'rich' or at least have alot more $$$ than they do if they lived within their means and stop trying to live it up.....it doesn't hurt to tighten your belt and live in an ugly apartment and save for something better than living in a Post property and can never leave because the rent is darn expensive....

Rich people watch their spending - poor and sometimes stupid people call them MEAN and STINGY - but who has more money ?? lmao -it is hilarious...to be rich u have to give up alot of stuff until u can enough to even be able to donate some to charity....

If u smoke - smoke less....if u drink coffe - cut down your coffee store visits...use cold water to wash your hands than run the water for 3 mins to get it warm for a few seconds...cut home phone if u can use a cell...use coupons...rich people do and then save their money for bigger and better stuff...and lastly rich people are usually slim - EAT LESS !!!!

I love getting called cheapskate and stingy. I tell them I am frugal.

Thats right, you have make a few sacrifices to have a lot more money in the future and that does not mean you have to be frugal the rest of your life. Lot of people just don't know money works in the investing world when it come to taking calculated risks. How about don't smoke. Buy a coffee maker and buy coffee in bulk from a wholesale store. Well how about cook at home and eat it but you don't have to eat less and starve.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:54 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
The well off, spend there life earning$$$ and trying to figure out
how to keep it, I've known a few you'd think were street ppl.
Depression era kids, like my parents generation can be the worst.
Then try to figure out how there going to hide $$ so a nursing home
doesn't get it.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:40 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
I was watching Dominick Dunne's power, privilege, and justice show on TruTV the other day. They were telling the story of this rich millionaire guy who was extremely cheap. In his house, he would pee in bottles, and empty them out the window to save water from using the toilet.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I was watching Dominick Dunne's power, privilege, and justice show on TruTV the other day. They were telling the story of this rich millionaire guy who was extremely cheap. In his house, he would pee in bottles, and empty them out the window to save water from using the toilet.

LOL LOL LOL - I am on the phone telling my Mom about it - she says that is good - so long as it doesn't affect anyone else - LOL....I say that is taking things too far.....watering the plants that way is NASTY - LOL ....how about flushing after every 2 pee-pee....lol....that was a good one...

Old 10-31-2009, 09:29 AM

Another arm to this topic could be - what happens when in a marriage - one person is FRUGAL - and the other is the total OPPOSITE ? one save so the other can live in luxury ! BS !!!

Old 10-31-2009, 09:30 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Truly rich people are generally frugal relative to their level of income. You don't become rich by spending at a level higher than what you're taking in. Rich people generally will be people who have spent less than they have made.

This should not be confused with people who are high income, but don't have a lot of assets. Many of these people will never be rich, because they spend at least as much as they take in in order to give the illusion of wealth. There's a big difference between that and being truly rich.

Before the mortgage madness of the past decade, the sort of house a person lived in used to be a decent indicator of wealth, to some degree, but that's no longer true. People could live in a beautiful house and not even be able to afford the payments.

BTW, my definition is rich is not the one that scurrilous politicians use. To me, a person is rich if his money works for him, not the other way around. If you have to get up every day and go to a miserable high stress job, even if it pays a lot, you're not rich. You're rich when you can live the life you want WITHOUT going to that job.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
truly rich people are generally frugal relative to their level of income. You don't become rich by spending at a level higher than what you're taking in. Rich people generally will be people who have spent less than they have made.

This should not be confused with people who are high income, but don't have a lot of assets. Many of these people will never be rich, because they spend at least as much as they take in in order to give the illusion of wealth. There's a big difference between that and being truly rich.

Before the mortgage madness of the past decade, the sort of house a person lived in used to be a decent indicator of wealth, to some degree, but that's no longer true. People could live in a beautiful house and not even be able to afford the payments.

Btw, my definition is rich is not the one that scurrilous politicians use. To me, a person is rich if his money works for him, not the other way around. If you have to get up every day and go to a miserable high stress job, even if it pays a lot, you're not rich. You're rich when you can live the life you want without going to that job.
so true - in fact the bigger the house - its more likely the poorer they are......posers....:d

Old 10-31-2009, 09:45 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Is This True That Rich Folks Are Frugal?
and they do live in a middle to middle-upper class neighborhoods and drive a modest vehicle?

I think what the book is saying or what they mean by this is that there are some people who live this way and become rich because of it. Not that they were already rich and then they decided to move to some middle class neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living