Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 08:50 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,242,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have Thanksgiving dinner with family and friends in a modest house than to eat alone in a mansion.
I don't know about you, but I'd rather have thanksgiving dinner with family and friends in a nice house than eat cat food alone in a run down mobile home.

Remember, that judgemental, holier-than-thou attitude can go both ways.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:41 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,083,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The "rich folks are frugal" myth makes people feel good, it makes them believe that one day they can be wealthy by just being frugal. Not going to happen.

Anyhow, out of all the wealthy folks I know only a small number are frugal, one of them recently died and his kids are now spending his millions on crap. Clearly his frugality paid off...

False. My parents are frugal, they have avg paying jobs, and own 4 properties that they did so on their own. THey are frugal to the max. Meanwhile we know another close family that was making 10x the amount we were, and that ended in $300k in debt.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:11 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,435,694 times
most of the people i know live well beyond there means but me i do make good money but live very frugal lifestyle i can afford a large apt but live in a small studio and drive a nice car but drive a paid for smart car ..to me live when in my means and have more money put away for retirement ..

do i have vices yes i like shopping for books and dvd movies and tv show set i like along with my peanut butter i like and my rifle shooting i like to do for fun and i have my places i like to eat at a lot so then i am frugal in a lot of areas and yes i will spend money on the things i like also ..

Old 12-21-2010, 04:04 PM

30,876 posts, read 36,850,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
You think? In fact posted on the very first page of this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/11374883-post8.html

Oops. Sorry I missed that.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:08 PM

30,876 posts, read 36,850,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
I know exactly what you mean. All this talk on how rich people are cheap and the ones who know rich people. Know they are NOT cheap. Not even close to being cheap. A lot of rich people feel that they are entitled to their lifestyle. This is my own personal belief, but I'll share it.

There are only two people that are really alike and that is people who are dependent on government welfare and born rich. They both need to have someone else footing the bill. A lot of the rich people I know, either have trusts and are not working. Or if they are working they are in executive positions because their father/mother put them there. And they feel that they are so smart and great because of what they are making and their job title. To them it doesn't matter if they were given, they feel like they earned it themselves. So they have this hyper inflated worth of themselves. Its pretty disgusting to associate with them. But they are family.
Have you guys seen these peoples' statements from investments and other stuff? I doubt it. I suspect a lot of the people you're talking about have high incomes, but are not rich.

Those who are rich through inherited money may be rich now, but as was already covered in pervious posts, will tend to blow their fortunes over time.

The percentage of people who can live rich without depleting their fortunes is very small.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:42 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,991,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Have you guys seen these peoples' statements from investments and other stuff? I doubt it. I suspect a lot of the people you're talking about have high incomes, but are not rich.

Those who are rich through inherited money may be rich now, but as was already covered in pervious posts, will tend to blow their fortunes over time.

The percentage of people who can live rich without depleting their fortunes is very small.
Right. But the people I am talking about are not the same sort of people you are talking about. You are talking about people like my parents who are "rich". Because in investments they have close to 2M. Yeah, that's a lot of money......NOT! There are plenty of those types and the reason they have made their fortune is because they are cheap. There are many cheap people like them. But its a fine and dandy to aspire to be like them. Drive a car until it breaks completely down and buy only used cars, etc. But they do not get to enjoy the most important thing they have. And that is money.

My other family members that are rich. Get to enjoy life to its fullest. They travel around the world and stay in luxury. When my parents travel they stay at the budget hotel and rarely eat food at restaurants that are expensive. When I traveled with my rich cousin he spent 1400 dollars in one meal and the hotel we were staying at cost 300 dollars a night! That is rich and that is the rich most people will never achieve. I am not talking about the investment banker earning a high six figure but that is all that he has aside from his mansion that he is still paying for.

The "rich" you are talking about like my parents. Would never get to live like my cousins. They are high income earners but they do also have a high net worth value. And my father knows a billionaire(not too personal). But he sees that that billionaire and his sons are down to earth. They won't dress up. But the mom? Forget about it. Her husband bought her a private airplane just for herself and she has a lot of jewelry.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:19 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,033,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
False. My parents are frugal, they have avg paying jobs, and own 4 properties that they did so on their own. THey are frugal to the max. Meanwhile we know another close family that was making 10x the amount we were, and that ended in $300k in debt.
What is false, your parents don't refute anything I stated. In fact, they demonstrate what I said, you don't become wealthy by being frugal alone.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:29 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,174,955 times
Does the definition of frugal have a sliding scale relative to net worth?

Old 12-22-2010, 11:54 PM

37,328 posts, read 61,146,748 times
I have known folks who live on a fraction of their earned income; and I have known folks who live on credit [spending more than they earn].

In my observation, those who 'show' wealth are generally very poor [but do not show it]. And those who wear older clothes, drive old beaters and rarely spend a dime, they are the ones whose Net Worths are often 20-years worth of their income.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:22 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,033,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
And those who wear older clothes, drive old beaters and rarely spend a dime, they are the ones whose Net Worths are often 20-years worth of their income.
If one does nothing with their money what is the point of having it? You may as well be poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living