U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 04:27 PM

12,671 posts, read 20,496,910 times

Advertisements

Is there something that I can buy to save electricity for the apartment?

Some device that the management would allow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 07:25 AM

29,728 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Within the context of: 'Insulation'?

We collect wool blankets. We used to hang wool blankets on the walls of our apartments, that helped some.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:04 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,505,876 times
If you want to save electricity, I would begin by replacing your light bulbs with CFLs. Then, put all your electronics on power strips and turn them off when not in use. Unplug non-essentials.

Try using a Kill-A-Watt to find leaky outlets. Have your landlord replace any outlets that are not working properly.

Now that you've done that, try caulking your windows during the winter to prevent cold air from leaking around the edges. If heat is the problem, I suggest draperies, since blinds are notoriously poor insulators.

If your doors open directly to the outside, make sure they seal properly. If not, buy adhesive foam weather stripping at your hardware store and install it. If air leaks through the bottom of the door, call your landlord to adjust it.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Within the context of: 'Insulation'?

We collect wool blankets. We used to hang wool blankets on the walls of our apartments, that helped some.

You mean on the backyard porch? To block the sunlight?

Old 11-03-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
If you want to save electricity, I would begin by replacing your light bulbs with CFLs. Then, put all your electronics on power strips and turn them off when not in use. Unplug non-essentials.

Try using a Kill-A-Watt to find leaky outlets. Have your landlord replace any outlets that are not working properly.

Now that you've done that, try caulking your windows during the winter to prevent cold air from leaking around the edges. If heat is the problem, I suggest draperies, since blinds are notoriously poor insulators.

If your doors open directly to the outside, make sure they seal properly. If not, buy adhesive foam weather stripping at your hardware store and install it. If air leaks through the bottom of the door, call your landlord to adjust it.
CFL's? Is that the cheapest route to go ?

Old 11-03-2009, 06:45 PM

29,728 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
You mean on the backyard porch? To block the sunlight?
mm, no.

Hang them on the walls, as wall coverings to add insulation to a room.

We have lived in homes where there was no insulation, or very little insulation.

For example we owned a home in Scotland where the outer walls were stone, then inside those stone walls, with about 8 inches of air gap they built wooden paneling walls.

When the waves crash on the seawall, the salt spray covers the outside of the house and those stone walls get really chilly. An air current begins in that air-space between the outer stone-walls and the interior paneling. That is what the English call a 'drafty house'. It is not air blowing in from the outside, so much as that 'interior space' air that is being cooled and stirred around.

So folks hang wool blankets on the walls, as wall coverings.

There is no further insulation.

If you watch any British movies you often see curtains that cover the interior walls. And the actors sitting in their living rooms in front of a fire, and wearing wool sweaters, perhaps evening jackets even.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:25 PM

8,095 posts, read 12,745,934 times
forest beekeeper's suggestion for cold weather makes me think of something else for hot weather though - I have either black-out curtains or insulated curtains on every single window on the house. In the summer they get closed at dawn and opened when the sun goes down. Stops a lot of the heat from coming in ...

Old 11-03-2009, 07:50 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,505,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
CFL's? Is that the cheapest route to go ?
CFL's are more expensive than incandescent bulbs, but they use significantly less electricity, and they last a really long time. You'll definitely notice a difference in your bill. In the end, the bulbs will pay for themselves.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:49 PM

13,433 posts, read 24,216,791 times
I put sheet foam insulation in all my windows. When I want the windows open the sheets store under the bed. Just takes a minute to put up and from the outside, it looks like I have blue curtains. The blinds go down over the foam sheets and it just looks like blue light coming in through the window/blinds. It was easy and cheap too.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:13 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,792,436 times
Clean the refrigerator coils. It's the biggest energy hog in your house, and if the coils are halfway full of lint (which is very common), it's only running at 50% of it's rated efficiency.

If you have central AC or a heat pump, make sure those coils are clean too. I like to wash mine out with a hose (preferably a power washer) a couple times a year.

If you have an electric water heater, install a water saving shower head. It takes a lot of electricity to heat a little bit of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living