U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 02:32 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,000,905 times

Advertisements

A lot of folks always have trouble managing their money right winding up both unhappy and in debt. This site teach all how to deal with the money you earn in the correct manner to avoid debt and secure your personal happiness.

This man also has a radio show that answers money questions and is very informative to all ages.

Dave Ramsey Homepage - daveramsey.com

(Disclaimer: I have no vested interest in the information offered other than to share it with all to better their lives. In the end it's you.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 05:46 PM

12,671 posts, read 20,489,997 times
I like his TV shows.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:49 AM

2,038 posts, read 3,648,894 times
I like Dave Ramsey's common sense approach, but I think after 4 years of listening to his radio show, its starting to suffer from the "lowest common denominator" syndrome. I used to enjoy listening to his callers but now I find most of the show to be a little too preachy.

All shows that do this, like Dr. Laura, can make a great show by broadcasting their callers mistakes, dirty laundry, pain etc and "prop em up." It gets old fast. I like his monologues and theme hours that are more upbeat.

I would like to see him evolve the show with at least one hour of guests and less huckster/preacher/cliche/betterthanideserve ad nauseum.

Not all of his listeners are up the creek without a paddle. It would be refreshing to hear more theme hours about investing and real estate. I wish he would invite some of his ELP's on the show to talk from time to time.

I know he is helping folks by the thousands and is very generous, but the ad placements (his recent "thinking about this death thing" commercial comes to mind) and his overall arrogance is becoming grating.

The Total Money Makeover should be required reading in High Schools, however. I am an absolute firm believer in that.

His Town Hall For Hope was pretty well done also. By and large, I can't fault the guy, I just dont listen as much as I used to.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post
I like Dave Ramsey's common sense approach, but I think after 4 years of listening to his radio show, its starting to suffer from the "lowest common denominator" syndrome. I used to enjoy listening to his callers but now I find most of the show to be a little too preachy.

All shows that do this, like Dr. Laura, can make a great show by broadcasting their callers mistakes, dirty laundry, pain etc and "prop em up." It gets old fast. I like his monologues and theme hours that are more upbeat.

I would like to see him evolve the show with at least one hour of guests and less huckster/preacher/cliche/betterthanideserve ad nauseum.

Not all of his listeners are up the creek without a paddle. It would be refreshing to hear more theme hours about investing and real estate. I wish he would invite some of his ELP's on the show to talk from time to time.

I know he is helping folks by the thousands and is very generous, but the ad placements (his recent "thinking about this death thing" commercial comes to mind) and his overall arrogance is becoming grating.

The Total Money Makeover should be required reading in High Schools, however. I am an absolute firm believer in that.

His Town Hall For Hope was pretty well done also. By and large, I can't fault the guy, I just dont listen as much as I used to.

Credit Card companies won't like it if schools started to teach Money 101 in HS.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Credit Card companies won't like it if schools started to teach Money 101 in HS.
BRAVO! You hit that nail right square on the head and drove it home! WAM!!

Old 11-20-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
BRAVO! You hit that nail right square on the head and drove it home! WAM!!

........Its all about business.

Parents should teach their children money.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:16 AM

43,858 posts, read 43,564,164 times
It is amazing all the crap they teach in HS while totally neglecting to teach a kid how to balance their checkbook or the importance of maintaining a good credit score.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
It is amazing all the crap they teach in HS while totally neglecting to teach a kid how to balance their checkbook or the importance of maintaining a good credit score.
They don't teach that in College either. I see students having over $25K student loans to pay. College tuition is going up so it may not be a good investment.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
They don't teach that in College either. I see students having over $25K student loans to pay. College tuition is going up so it may not be a good investment.
Very true. College is not always the best choice for an education. For some reason (marketing I suspect) trade schools get the short shrift when it comes to higher education in almost all press and media about this topic.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:04 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post

His "getting out of debt" lectures are a lot better than his investment advice. Some of his investment advice is just not very good - especially his insistence that the market averages a 10-12-14% return on average. I could live with the 10% but over the years, Dave's numbers keep rising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living