U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-20-2009, 07:06 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,535 posts, read 29,272,174 times
Reputation: 21282

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Anyone shopping on Black Friday?

Or is it just a Gimmick?

Do you think you will better deal later?
I do not set foot in stores between Thanksgiving and January 1. Mostly because I cannot stand the music. And also, I don't do Xmas, so it's really not necessary. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2009, 08:25 PM
 
12,671 posts, read 20,509,033 times
Reputation: 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I'm good with a 36" CRT, but if it gets to be an emergency I *might* consider braving the sales to save 10% on a big ticket item.
CRT is not good on your eye strain.

Its more like 50% or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2009, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Ocean Shores, WA
5,082 posts, read 12,596,161 times
Reputation: 10554
I research, comparison shop, and look for the best price on-line.
Then I buy what I want, when I want it, and have it shipped directly to my house.

Once I buy the item, I consider the money spent, and I don't care how much less I could have gotten the item for, or how much someone else paid for it.

And I don't pay attention to sucker scams like "Black Friday" that require that I participate in controlled rituals with the consuming masses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2009, 03:10 PM
 
12,671 posts, read 20,509,033 times
Reputation: 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I research, comparison shop, and look for the best price on-line.
Then I buy what I want, when I want it, and have it shipped directly to my house.

Once I buy the item, I consider the money spent, and I don't care how much less I could have gotten the item for, or how much someone else paid for it.

And I don't pay attention to sucker scams like "Black Friday" that require that I participate in controlled rituals with the consuming masses.
The goal is to pay the least as possible compare to others. You still have see the product on display and play around with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2009, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,957 posts, read 17,025,316 times
Reputation: 7193
"black friday" means nothing to me or my household except that it's hedonistic orgy of needless spending that most can't afford and borrow money to give away in Credit Cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2009, 07:08 PM
 
12,671 posts, read 20,509,033 times
Reputation: 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
"black friday" means nothing to me or my household except that it's hedonistic orgy of needless spending that most can't afford and borrow money to give away in Credit Cards.
Lot of people will be brainwashed and jump the bandwagon. They will sleep overnight to get the vouchers for that big screen TV.

You can still get a deal of a lifetime if you get there early. Definately worth it if you are buying a big ticket item.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2009, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,957 posts, read 17,025,316 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Lot of people will be brainwashed and jump the bandwagon. They will sleep overnight to get the vouchers for that big screen TV.

You can still get a deal of a lifetime if you get there early. Definately worth it if you are buying a big ticket item.
Balderdash! More pure hedonistic balderdash!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2009, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Colorado Plateau
1,133 posts, read 3,182,302 times
Reputation: 1227
Normally I have no interest in BF deals or shopping on that day.
But our truck needs shocks and I see that Sears is offering free installation of their shocks on BF. We are going to look into that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2009, 10:36 PM
 
403 posts, read 456,096 times
Reputation: 148
my goal is to buy my boyfriend a boost mobile phone on sale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 12:12 AM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,476 posts, read 16,985,136 times
Reputation: 4304
I usually go shopping on black Friday or the connected weekend. Retailers usually have good sales Friday-Sunday.

Some of the sales are bogus though, they have very limited supplies and people that get them are the ones that are willing to wake up at 3~4AM and wait in line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top