U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 09:59 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times

Advertisements

There isn't anything. I've refused to buy things I can make myself, because it's cheaper to make it than to buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 08:50 AM

365 posts, read 1,106,462 times
I try to buy quality rather than quantity. I buy only about one pair of shoes a year, so I don't scrimp there. Same with a winter coat; a coat will last me 10 years or more.

We save on food by cooking everything from scratch and trying to stick with whole foods, beans, rice, etc.; we avoid all boxed, prepared, ready-made and take-out food, but we prefer eating that way so it isn't a sacrifice for us.

Frugality doesn't have to equal deprivation.

Carol
Frugal Living Press™

Old 01-20-2010, 04:49 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,504,424 times
My frugality takes the form of living smaller than necessary. Like Carol, I'm more of a simple living type than a hard-core saver. I aim for a few high-quality pieces of clothing over a closet full of mediocre things. I furnished my house the same way, and the car in the driveway cost a pretty penny, but it's ten-years-old, and there's only one motor vehicle for our family of four. I cook simply, but I don't skimp on ingredients. If I can get a deal on things, that's great, but I don't go looking for a fire sale.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:43 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,433,518 times
INteresting thread....

I always drive a pre-owned car but I save to pay cash and buy a high quality car which I drive until it dies. That financial rule has worked very, very well for me over the years.

My beloved pets are like my children and because they are both older, I feel the better (Science Diet) pet food increases their quality of life and extends their life. -- One brand I do buy into the marketing for....

Has to be DUKE'S mayo but I wait for sales and buy multiple jars.

Good foundation and skin cream

My husband insisted I stop buying the generic TP.....everything else I negotiate, barter for or pay as little as possible.

I've recently discovered ALDI -- a discount grocery store. You have to pay a quarter to use a buggy, but you get it back if you return it to the rack at the front of the store, and you have to take your own bags (or buy their paper bags for .06) but I found Amy's organic lasagna, a leg of lamb and king crab legs in their store. I was SHOCKED! I only bought the Amy's dinners but I'll go back for the King Crab Legs...at $10/bag for a generous portion, that is a killer deal. Their produce is not organic but MUCH cheaper, fresher and tastier than that at BILO.

No one has unlimited resources so you simply have to prioritize what is most important to you and your family.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:12 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,469,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
INteresting thread....
My beloved pets are like my children and because they are both older, I feel the better (Science Diet) pet food increases their quality of life and extends their life. -- One brand I do buy into the marketing for....
A helpful C-D person posted this link in the Pets Forum:

Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

It may help you (or not ) find a pet food that is as good as, or better than, SD for less $$$.

I think much the same way as you do, but feed a less-well-known brand (i.e. less marketing dollars) that is higher in protein and is grain free. Just trying to cut down on vet bills and increase quality and quantitiy of life in our household!

Quote:
I've recently discovered ALDI -- a discount grocery store. You have to pay a quarter to use a buggy, but you get it back if you return it to the rack at the front of the store, and you have to take your own bags (or buy their paper bags for .06) but I found Amy's organic lasagna, a leg of lamb and king crab legs in their store. I was SHOCKED! I only bought the Amy's dinners but I'll go back for the King Crab Legs...at $10/bag for a generous portion, that is a killer deal. Their produce is not organic but MUCH cheaper, fresher and tastier than that at BILO.
The Amy's stuff has been a huge huge blessing for our vegetarian family. We try to buy at the local/organic farmers' market in the summer, but in the winter, we hit Aldi. The stuff they import from Italy (olive oil, marscapone etc) is pretty good as well. I also love that it makes me frugal with my time; I can be in and out in under 30 minutes.

Quote:
No one has unlimited resources so you simply have to prioritize what is most important to you and your family.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:58 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
Do realize that Aldi does not carry the items that you have mentioned at all stores not at all times. You can find some great deals when they can get good deals from the suppliers never to see it again.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
A helpful C-D person posted this link in the Pets Forum:

Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

It may help you (or not ) find a pet food that is as good as, or better than, SD for less $$$.

I think much the same way as you do, but feed a less-well-known brand (i.e. less marketing dollars) that is higher in protein and is grain free. Just trying to cut down on vet bills and increase quality and quantitiy of life in our household!

The Amy's stuff has been a huge huge blessing for our vegetarian family. We try to buy at the local/organic farmers' market in the summer, but in the winter, we hit Aldi. The stuff they import from Italy (olive oil, marscapone etc) is pretty good as well. I also love that it makes me frugal with my time; I can be in and out in under 30 minutes.

Thanks PlaidMOM. I will investigate the info on the pet food....this may really help me to make a bigger dent in my monthly pet food costs! The main thing for me is that my babies have the SAFEST and most nutritious food available to extend their HEALTHY quality of life as long as possible. I thought there probably had to be some other good options out there but I hadn't run across any scientific documentation...... I'll read this thoroughly. Rep to you!

Old 01-24-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Do realize that Aldi does not carry the items that you have mentioned at all stores not at all times. You can find some great deals when they can get good deals from the suppliers never to see it again.
Yeah, that is the one downside is that I can't plan my dinner menu until I go to see what they have or don't have. But I have to say I was shocked with the quality of the offering. Aldi doesn't have everything I need anyway so I have to use Food Lion as my back-up regular grocery store (no Kroger here in my town ). Bi-lo or Piggly Wiggly are only for special items 'cause they are sooo expensive! (no publix here either). Before going, I thought Aldi was a scratch/dent/out of date grocery market...... all of which, to me, are too dangerous to contemplate becasue dented cans have a high likelihood of botulism contamination and out of date foods ...well that risk is pretty much understood, I think. So the fact that they have really nice quality stuff at much cheaper prices than Food Lion was a message I thought I should share. But everyone else may already know and I'm just catching up
Thanks for clarifying......I probably need to go ahead and stock up on the Amy's dinners since I have room in the freezer. I think they will keep well....

Old 01-25-2010, 07:45 PM

Shoot! jlawrence01 you were really right...I went back to Aldis to do my weekly shopping, with my mouth watering for some of those Crab legs and all set to get 6 of the amy's lasagnas..... All gone. Never to return, I guess 'cause the signs were gone. Oh well...I bought bologna and bacon and some ribs instead, and am thankful to have gotten them at a good discount. Now I know to buy and freeze when I see the good deals there....

Old 01-25-2010, 07:49 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
my denouncing of social injustice on CDF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or