U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:48 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,281,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
my denouncing of social injustice on CDF.

Viva la CDF!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 02:01 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,317,961 times
Coke! DH was raised on the stuff, and any other cola tastes funny to him. We do wait until it's on sale and stock up on tons of it though.

Dog food - Though in reality, feeding the premium food saves me a ton of money in the long run. She's healthier and eats less of it. The dogfoodanalysis link posted a few pages back was my bible when I chose her food. (Ironically, hubby and I eat processed junk happily )

Work clothes - I work in an industry where image is half the battle, so I can't afford to wear cheap clothing. I do wait for sales, use coupons, and buy pieces that will last a long time though.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:13 PM

12,941 posts, read 18,529,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
(Other than medical expenses of course)

For me it is education...generally I am frugal but I turn into George Steinbrenner when it comes to GMAT prep courses, etc.
I buy new cars, not used, and drive them for as long as I can.

I might pay a little more in the beginning, but then I KNOW the car has been properly maintained and not abused it's entire life, so I can guarantee they will last a very long time.

My used car purchases never seemed to last well; they always had problems fairly quick. My new when purchased Corolla has no problems in 10 years and 140K miles and will likely last me another 5 years.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:57 PM

8,013 posts, read 22,633,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I buy new cars, not used, and drive them for as long as I can.

I might pay a little more in the beginning, but then I KNOW the car has been properly maintained and not abused it's entire life, so I can guarantee they will last a very long time.

My used car purchases never seemed to last well; they always had problems fairly quick. My new when purchased Corolla has no problems in 10 years and 140K miles and will likely last me another 5 years.
We do this too, and my entire family will drive a car into the ground before getting a new one.

I've had mine 11 years, it only has 66k miles on it and is like new still, I'll drive it for another decade. Husband's is only about 5 years old, so his doesn't really count (yet). My mom's has over 200k miles on it, dad had a van with over 400k miles on it. Between them, they have driven at least 5 vehicles past the 200k mile marker in the last decade. My high school car was a car my parents got when they got married. I drove it, then later, my husband drove it, and now my young cousin is driving it.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:37 AM

98 posts, read 461,002 times
This is going to sound crazy, but I spent $190 for a 10 oz jar of body lotion! I have super dry skin and was going through about $10/mo on lotion. This stuff is so amazing that I don't even have to use it every day, which is a miracle considering I was moisturizing several times a day before (painfully dry skin). I bought the jar in March, so far it looks like it will last me about 1 year, so $16/mo.

On the shoe thing, I spent a lot of money on a pair of shoes because they were so amazingly comfortable and well made. I fell in love with the brand (tried on all the styles in the shoe store). Then I ended up buying 6 more pairs on Ebay! Some were brand new and the average price ended up being less than 1/4 what they sell for in stores.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:31 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,496,989 times
I have another one to add to my list (in addition to "food" in general and good quality footwear):
Bagged (or boxed) Salad.
I feel ashamed to admit this. Not just because it's not "frugal", but because as something of a "foodie" I know it's also not the best way to buy greens.
Ahem.
However, I have noticed that when I do not buy those oh-so-handy (and expensive!) baby arugula/radicchio/spinach blends our nightly salad-consumption drops off by more than 50%.
So in the interest of maintaining our health and greens consumption, I'm afraid I have to go back.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:37 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,612,656 times
A good pair or two of shoes...

Old 02-21-2010, 09:37 AM

23,641 posts, read 31,319,920 times
Kitchen gadgets, pots and pans, and certain appliances like microwaves, toaster ovens, etc. I have some kitchen gadgets that were about twice the price they would have been at Target, but they have lasted 10 years and counting without so much as a nick or scratch. Same with knives; you do not want a knife coming apart on you while you're dicing an onion or chopping a heavy squash. I bought some cheap steak knives years ago and the tips broke off on half of them. Never again!

Also, shoes. I buy cheap flip flops and house shoes but when it comes to athletic shoes and shoes for work, I buy quality. Who wants sore feet every day?

Old 02-21-2010, 02:28 PM

3,647 posts, read 9,342,720 times
Toilet Paper

Old 02-21-2010, 11:23 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,081,963 times
Our Time Warner bundle....it may cost a pretty penny every month, but I'm spoiled by Roadrunner internet, I love the variety of shows available with our digital cable, and DVR is the best invention ever created. I used to have to record everything with a VCR in another room when I wasn't around to watch it. I'm about to finish grad school so we'll have 2 incomes again soon, so it's all good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or