U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:29 PM

8,366 posts, read 12,084,062 times

Advertisements

Heat, heat, heat. I know many frugal people turn their heat down at night. Not me. My thermostat is set at 70-71 degrees all winter long - day and night. I cannot stand to be cold.

I also take a vacation every year. I love travel, and it is worth it to me to save money in other aspects of my life for one week of travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 10:33 PM

2,653 posts, read 4,601,366 times
Kids -
Don't spoil them, but will spend on them. i.e. - 3 yo is working thru a speech delay. We get services thru the county, but we will spend thousands more out of pocket to supplement his therapy with private speech therapist sessions with the best we can afford.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:36 PM

784 posts, read 2,471,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I have been frugal on medical expenses just because there are doctors out there who want you to come to their office when I already that I need refill. Why should I throw away my money and pay the co-pay?
You don't need to visit them. I call my doctor and she calls the pharmacy to have my prescription refilled....

Old 11-20-2009, 10:37 PM

3,199 posts, read 10,984,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Heat, heat, heat. I know many frugal people turn their heat down at night. Not me. My thermostat is set at 70-71 degrees all winter long - day and night. I cannot stand to be cold.

I also take a vacation every year. I love travel, and it is worth it to me to save money in other aspects of my life for one week of travel.
Yay! I grew up in an uninsulated farm house in Missouri. We heated with wood, and there was NO heat in the upstairs bedrooms except for an electric blanket. A small gas heater in bathroom. I helped haul and stack more cords of wood than I ever want to see again. When I was 18 I moved to a larger nearby city for school and work. AH the heaven of central heat (and later, central air). I never ever complained about a utility bill all those years in Missouri and then 10 years in Las Vegas.

I feel like I now live in the perfect place of course, no need for heat nor AC in my home. (of course we have horrible electric rates but that's beside the point).

I never skimp on shoes and quality clothing. Lasts 10 times as long and looks nicer than cheap crap from discount stores.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:45 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,129,719 times
A mattress. Important to have a good, firm mattress for a good nights sleep.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:12 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,966,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I'll get the Generic brand single ply.
Ouch! You must have a tougher backside than I do.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:13 PM

12,671 posts, read 20,515,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
You don't need to visit them. I call my doctor and she calls the pharmacy to have my prescription refilled....
The law says you have to visit them every 6 months. The maximum they can give you is 6 months of Rx.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:14 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,496,636 times
my number of posts per hour on CDF.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:22 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,041,278 times
The care of my parents
Food (I prefer top quality and organic only)
Clothes (they fit better and last longer)
Cars (Reliability and Safety are tops for me)
Education (Only the best for the kids)

Old 11-21-2009, 04:49 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,655,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Toilet paper....and gemstones.
Yeah, frugal and gemstones don't belong in the same paragraph. Giving up vast sums of one's wealth for shiny trinkets has to be one of the more senseless aspects of modern social programming. Borrowing money for those same trinkets is evidence of a real social pathology.

I try to be frugal with everything I buy. But that doesn't mean "cheap." I buy quality that lasts where quality counts...for example comfortable gore-tex lined boots that last for 15 years, high-end lifetime-warrantied tools, leather-upholstered furniture that, when properly cared for, still looks practically new after 20 years, etc. Spending 50% more for a quality item that is more reliable and/or enjoyable and will last four times longer *is* frugal.

You won't, however, find skunky coffee in my house. I don't go to Starbucks for $5 lattes...I can buy really good coffee and make it myself far cheaper. Folgers is only for the percolator when camping...the smell of the campfire makes up for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or